Web authoring software

13 posts in this topic

I have been using Frontpage for 6 years. I just boaught a new copy of Frontpage 1.0 for Mac but it is not OS X compatible. Maybe someone can tell me what applications to check out. My site has 166 pages. Each week I have to make some slight changes an several pages and upload them. What would be the perfect solution? Cost isn't important.

Hi

Adobe Dreamweaver CS3 is very good but expensive. It work in Wysiwyg

Panic Coda is a new very good soft, too.

TextMate is for text editing only

These 3 softs have html/css/php autocompletion.

Only the two first have ftp in it.

Samuel

Dreamweaver is alright if you don't know how to write HTML or CSS yourself. The new Spry widgets are cool as they allow you to add some cool JavaScript functionality without any knowledge of the language whatsoever.

If you're comfortable with code, such as myself, I'd highly recommend TextMate. As far as I know, it doesn't have code auto-complete as Samuel said, but it does speed up the coding process with tons of shortcuts. The only compelling Dreamweaver CS3 features for me are the Browser Compatibility Checker and I guess some of the reference material built-in.

Regardless, I'd recommend you stop using FrontPage as it is known to be one of the worst commercial web dev software out on the market. In fact, Microsoft is completely dropping it for a new product.

Thanks guys for your input! I have been using Frontpage because I know it so well. I know the shortcuts without even thinking about them. It's really crude and ancient but it gets the job done. I have Dreamweaver 8 and am not so comfortable with it. Is there much difference with CS3? I don't mind hand coding the tough spots but am getting on in the years and have some arthritis in my left hand that is really bad sometimes. And- no suggestions about a rocking chair please! java script:add_smilie(":D","smid_7")

I have ordered a copy of CS3. WOW what a pricetag. But I found one that had been opened but was too complicated to use from someone on eBay for 600.00 He said he never even got to the point of registering it. If I didnt just get scammed - I got it at a price I can live with.

After doing a long and tiring search, I've found that Panic's Coda is by far the best web editing application. That goes not only for Macs, but in general.

http://www.panic.com/coda/ (5/5 Stars) Highly, highly recommended

WYSIWYG is great, but I still like to code by hand for two very strong reasons: 1) It cuts down drastically on the amount of extraneous, unneeded code. 2) It gives you the power to manipulate your site's content much more in depth for personalization and dynamic content.

Here are just a few reasons why I love Coda:

1) It's damn sexy. If you think BBedit is the ideal text editor, welcome to the 21st century. This thing is absolutely fluid in the GUI and has a very intuitive interface.

2) It has a built-in preview tab. You don't need to launch Safari on the side.

3) There's a built-in CSS editor. It detects all pre-existing CSS styling code in a web page and shows each style in a graphically-friendly editor. Using visual drop-down menus, you can see in real-time how each style is being manipulated. Also, there are a few nifty CSS style options that I didn't even know existed until I used Coda.

4) Built-in FTP file manager. When you edit documents locally on your Mac, a "Publish" button appears on the bottom of the app to transfer all modified documents to your FTP server. No more keeping track of changes you've made. Coda also displays a list of each file that's being uploaded during a publish, so you can remove a file from the list if you don't want it to transfer.

5) Flexible workspace windows. You can divide your workspace to include an html editor, preview pane, css editor, or whatever configuration you desire. Each pane simultaneously gives you different perspectives of the same open document. It's great for using the css editor and html editor while previewing the changes all at the same time.

Download it to see what I mean. This is an awesome app. Everything seems very well thought-out.