What's the most recent Mac OS X Image? (Jas + PPF1 + PPF2?)

sofakng

22 posts in this topic

I'm a complete newbie with this x86 Mac OS X, but I've been reading the wiki as well as the forums but I have a question...

What is the best (most recent?) image to install Mac OS X from? I see an image called "Mac OS X 10.4.8 [JaS AMD-Intel-SSE2-SSE3 with PPF1 and PPF2]". Is this the version I should get?

Also, is there an explanation of "JaS", PPF1, and PPF2? What do they all do? I guess I don't really need to know, but I'm curious and want to understand everything that is going on so I have a better understanding of the x86 Mac OS X project.

[EDIT] There also seems to be another image called "Mac OS X 10.4.9 Intel SSE3 [JaS 10.4.8 AMD-Intel-SSE2-SSE3 with PPF1 & PPF2.iso + JaS.10.4.9.Combo.Update.Intel.SSE3.zip]". Is this better?

By the way, I have an AMD Opteron 165 process in case that matters. (it supports SSE3)

Thanks!

I suggest you get the tubgirl 10.4.8 release for AMD and the tubgirl 10.4.9 PPF just released.

Using this will get you the latest 10.4.9 kernel and all updates.

JaS is a person who made that CD.

PPF mean a patch file. So when you see something + PPF it means that patch has been applied to that iso.

You DON'T want that Intel combo update.

do you mean this ? JaS.10.4.9.Combo.Update.Intel.SSE3.zip

whats wrong with that?

thanks

Mac OS X 10.4.9 Intel SSE3 [JaS 10.4.8 AMD-Intel-SSE2-SSE3 with PPF1 & PPF2.iso

JaS.10.4.9.Combo.Update.Intel.SSE3.zip

Tested working compination.

hi Oracle67, so after I download that iso, burn to dvd, insert and boot from cd and install? just follow the instruction will do? simple as ABC?

thanks.

quick info: yesterday tubgirl posted new PPF update for his 10.4.8_final dvd on piratebay (search for osx_1049_amdvm_ppf)

it contains 10.4.9, latest 8.9.1 kernel from irc.osx86.hu, quicktime 7.1.6, and itunes 7.11

go grab it, and please seed

Give some hardware description.

It helps.

I have also installed this Mac OS X 10.4.8 [JaS AMD-Intel-SSE2-SSE3 with PPF1 & PPF2] on a XW8200 HP double Xeons and it install ok but it does not boot up .... It shows me the message in multiple languages asking to push the power/reset button .

In this HP, there is a pcie Nvidia Quadro original graphic card .

Can someone help me get this nice machine to boot up OSX ?

Aramis

P.S.

Intel Xeon processors (Nocona) with EM64T and Hyper-Threading Technology:

What is this ?

P.S. I did repair permissions on it too .....

Mac OS X 10.4.9 Intel SSE3 [JaS 10.4.8 AMD-Intel-SSE2-SSE3 with PPF1 & PPF2.iso

JaS.10.4.9.Combo.Update.Intel.SSE3.zip

Tested working compination.

On AMD? That is what the original poster asked.

Let's not confuse every thread. It's already hard enough to search for relevant info. :hysterical:

quick info: yesterday tubgirl posted new PPF update for his 10.4.8_final dvd on piratebay (search for osx_1049_amdvm_ppf)

it contains 10.4.9, latest 8.9.1 kernel from irc.osx86.hu, quicktime 7.1.6, and itunes 7.11

go grab it, and please seed

any diff compare with Mac OS X 10.4.9 Intel SSE3 [JaS 10.4.8 AMD-Intel-SSE2-SSE3 with PPF1 & PPF2.iso /

JaS.10.4.9.Combo.Update.Intel.SSE3.zip ?

which one would be better for a first timer? heh

I suggest you get the tubgirl 10.4.8 release for AMD and the tubgirl 10.4.9 PPF just released.

Using this will get you the latest 10.4.9 kernel and all updates.

JaS is a person who made that CD.

PPF mean a patch file. So when you see something + PPF it means that patch has been applied to that iso.

I thought the "tubgirl 10.4.8 release for AMD" was an update or something like that? Are you saying it's a complete replacement for the "JaS + PPF1 + PFF2" image?

On a side note, I installed the JaS+PPF1+PPF2 version and it doesn't boot (see my thread here)

I can not comment on the quality of this release that just showed up on the Green Demon. I am downloading now, but this looks like the most complete 10.4.9 release so far. Search for uphuck 10.4.9 on the Demon. Here are the notes on it.

Applications : Macintosh : English

Hi everyone, this is the second release of my OSX86 10.4.9 universal dvd work that i'd like to share. I could not seed the first release of my torrent to world because of some fakers, I hope to share this one safely..

This is only for x86 PC with AMD/Intel SSE2/SSE3 CPU, not Power PC.

You don't know the first release but I added some new packages like universal speedstep kernel, drivers and some applications. I removed printer drivers which were optional and changed the diskutil with the right one to make backup and restore possible with this dvd.

First backup all your important data.

Thanks to all developers again..

Inside the DVD:

- 10.4.9 Intel

10.4.9 Intel package

IOATAFamily kext from 10.4.8

- 10.4.9 AMD

10.4.9 AMD package

AppleACPIPlatform kext from 10.4.8

- Kernels

Intel SSE2 (1 April 2007)

Intel SSE3 (26 March 2007)

AMD SSE2 (1 April 2007)

AMD SSE3 (1 April 2007)

Universal (23 April 2007)

Universal (3 May 2007)

script to remove AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext

- Drivers (I integrated GMA950 to intel package, it will be detected automatically)

Natit dual 0.2

Titan

nVidia mobility

ATI X1x00

ATI AGP support

GMA900 (DiaboliK)

ICH7R

USB

Azalia Audio

Realtek R1000

Ralink Wireless

PowerManagement.bundle

Intel Speedstep

CoreDuoTemp

- Applications

CopyCatX

Firefox

Adium

Colloquy

VirtueDesktops

VLC player

QuickTime codecs

X11

- Language Translations

Please read the instructions and descriptions of the packages.

I can not comment on the quality of this release that just showed up on the Green Demon. I am downloading now, but this looks like the most complete 10.4.9 release so far. Search for uphuck 10.4.9 on the Demon. Here are the notes on it.

Been on that torrent for a few days now, hopefully should have it soon. If it lives up the the description, I should be worth waiting for...

Hmm, looks interesting!

So this is 10.4.9 and not 10.4.8 with an upgrade to 10.4.8?

Does this not include "PPF1 or PPF2 or JAS"?

Also, can anybody tell me which hardware drivers I would need for my system?

Here is my hardware:

ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe Motherboard (nForce4 SLI AMD chipset)

-- on-board sound

-- on-board ethernet (nVidia and Marvell Yukon I think?)

AMD Opteron 165 CPU (Dual-Core)

nVidia GeForce 8800 GTX

** SERIAL-ATA Hard Drive (does this matter?)

Been on that torrent for a few days now, hopefully should have it soon. If it lives up the the description, I should be worth waiting for...

What is the file name of that one? Can you let us know how it goes? I just dloaded the tubgirl 10.4.8 for AMD + the may 6th ppf... but I'll wait to hear how this one goes before wiping my system clean..

That looks really cool but I can't download the torrent because I'm not a registered user and registration is closed. Can someone PM the torrent or PM and I'll give you my e-mail address so you can send me the torrent? Thanks!

Hmm, looks interesting!

So this is 10.4.9 and not 10.4.8 with an upgrade to 10.4.8?

Does this not include "PPF1 or PPF2 or JAS"?

Also, can anybody tell me which hardware drivers I would need for my system?

Here is my hardware:

ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe Motherboard (nForce4 SLI AMD chipset)

-- on-board sound

-- on-board ethernet (nVidia and Marvell Yukon I think?)

AMD Opteron 165 CPU (Dual-Core)

nVidia GeForce 8800 GTX

** SERIAL-ATA Hard Drive (does this matter?)

I'm pretty sure that 10.4.9 update does not work for AMD. (Check comments on Demonoid)

No matter whether you start with the JaS or Tubgirl I think you will have some issues. You have some hardware noted for problems and you might have to do some extra leg work.

(nForce4, GeForce 8800 GTX (assumming 512MB))

I have an Opteron 170, but non of that other hardware so I can't help much, but I have seen threads about nForce4 support and nvidia 512MB hacks)

i installed tubgirl's new 10.4.9 and everything works just perfect. just added natit dual 0.02 and nvidiaefi.

no more problems with ical, disc mounting, screensavers (issues i had when updating to 10.4.9)

xbench graphics scores plunged about 10 points, but i can live with that.

now at last i have ripple effect in dashboard working (it never worked prior to 10.4.9)

after effects and premiere cs3 still crash, but the rest of the design premium cs3 works, as well as final cut studio 5.1 (crashes if i update it to 5.14)

interesting thing is, after i disable beamsync i get around 10 gfx points in xbench, but system profiler doesn't detect my 7600gt properly anymore. everything works though:

Unknown NVIDIA Model:

Chipset Model:	Unknown NVIDIA Model
 Type:	Display
 Bus:	AGP
 VRAM (Total):	256 MB
 Vendor:	NVIDIA (0x10de)
 Device ID:	0x02e0
 Revision ID:	0x00a2
 Displays:
SyncMaster:
 Resolution:	1280 x 1024 @ 75 Hz
 Depth:	32-bit Color