Does anone have Problems with overheating on laptop?

Prenderguest

6 posts in this topic

after 2 weeks work my Notebook ist allmost full working. Am really glad to have a working Hackintosh.

But now my question is....

Is it normal that the fans are running almost everytime? And faster then under Windows??

What does your Laptop do?? Please Post your experiences.....

Im afraid of overheating....... :)

Asus A6T

Athlon X2 F 52 1,6 Ghz (full working)

Broadcom Wirelees BCM4326 (full working)

Realteck RTL8169 (full working)

GForce 7600 Go 265MB (full working but no external Display)

ALC 660 (not Working) external USB sound instead Creative Xmod (full working)[/size]

• 4 weeks later...

I have a Acer Trvelmate 2420 which also overheats when running osx.

When running processor intensive programs (usually processing avi files to burn to DVD using Toast or Burn) it will eventually put itself into sleep mode with no warning - unfortunately I can't wake form sleep so it may as well have powered off completely. Raising the rear of the laptop a little helps airflow and greatly reduces crashes.

This only seemed to start when I upgraded my memory to 1GB (2 x 512MB).

If I boot into XP there isn't a problem using Cyberlink Power Producer to do the same thing.

Sam.

Luckily I can say I don't have this problem. Not only are my fans NOT running all the time, but I can say it actually runs cooler (at least by touch) then when in XP. I think this may have to do with the way the actual BIOS handles the CPU fans. Some turn over control to the OS while others (like mine) remain controlled by BIOS.

Core Duos, Core Solos and Yonah-based Celeron M's *should* keep hardware control of fan speed and probably CPU throttling under 10.4.8 and 10.4.6. On my laptop (has Core Duo) on 10.4.6 I got automatic fan control but I couldn't tell if it was throttling or not. Under 10.4.8 I get fan throttling and it seems I have CPU throttling as well (via TM2)