Intel to sell Mac Pro Motherboard?

Embio

6 posts in this topic

That article's blowing things out of proportion. That's just a standard i5000 board. They *all* look just like that. Take a look. As the article states, Apple's OEM made some crucial modifications to the Mac Pro board that sets it apart from every other Socket 771 board out there. In fact, the Mac Pro board is very unique in that it has 4 PCIe 16x slots as well as a riser card for the memory and no PCI slots. The board in the article has only one PCIe 16x slot and two 4x slots as well as two PCI-X slots. Not to mention this Intel board lacks the propriatary Airport hardware and the custom TPM chip. Nothing to see here.

About as much as the existing i5000 boards I'd reckon, between $300 and $600. Really, I'd check reviews before buying such an expensive piece of hardware. Supermicro, ASUS, Tyan and Intel *already* have boards with the same features. Don't just get something because you saw it referenced in a rather poorly-conceived news article. A dual Woodcrest rig would make a great alternative to the Mac Pro- just make sure to do your research before putting together a $1000+ system. I seriously question the credibility of the Hardmac.com staff if they'll so easily make assumptions such as this having obviously done no research at all. This is no different than saying that Intel is "selling the iMac motherboard" because they make Core 2 compatible boards.