What is x86?

11 posts in this topic

So I know the x86 a processor, but is this something you run in a MAC, or is it a PC Proccessor that enables you to run Mac OSX on a PC? Am I less cool around here because I'm running a Duo Core?

x86 is the most common processor architecture, if you bough a computer within the last 15 years, then you probably have a x86 processor. some newer processors also offer x64 support through EM64T(extended memory 64 technology) and AMD64. You can still run OSx86 on computers with these processors because these are NOT x64 processors, then just support x64 extensions. the important things are SSE, SSE2 and SSE3

Ok, enough bollocks, time for laymans terms.:

Each processor responds to a certain set of commands and instructions. It is the same as a waiter taking orders in French or English etc.

This language of very base commands is called the "Instruction Set." and is the key component of what is called the computer Architecture.

An Architecture is just like a culture. It consists of a Language, the instruction set - Although many processors add their own individual slang, called "Instruction Set Extensions." Examples are Intel's SSE,2,3 and MMX. It also includes basic fundamentals of architecture that are almost universally followed, and the cultures are rarely mixed: It is unnatural to find a city of japanese pagodas being inhabited by mexicans cooking typical mexican dishes, and speaking in Spanish. This metaphor and simile is pretty accurate. The processor architecture, be it PPC, X86, AMD64, SPARC64 or whatever, just defines the language, layout and structure of the processor family.

Dang. I came to this topic thinking I was going to have to explain some things, but I actually wound up learning a lot myself. I was wondering why a 32-bit Intel processor wasn't called "x32" and why "x64" would signify 64-bit processing. Now I know it was just a random method of naming.

I hope my college professor explains things as clearly as Ferret did when I take computer engineering courses in fall.