Parallels Workstation can't run beryl in Linux

Mebster

11 posts in this topic

I installed Parallels workstation to see if I could get Ubuntu 6.06 working on it. It worked fine but I then read that XGL, compiz, beryl and the rest (I'm new to Linux) are not currently supported which is a major down side for me as they are really the only reason i wanted to start trying out Linux. Another major let down by Parallels Workstation is that there was no cool switching of screens effect I've seen on youtube videos of Parallels for Mac has.

• So I was wondering if I can use VMWare to run parallels and would it support XGL, compiz, beryl and the rest?
  • Also is there a way to actually have it so that it loads a native installation rather than just an image (never used VMWare before)?
  • Finally which is considered better, Parallels Workstation or VMWare?

Appreciate any help :)

I installed Parallels workstation to see if I could get Ubuntu 6.06 working on it. It worked fine but I then read that XGL, compiz, beryl and the rest (I'm new to Linux) are not currently supported which is a major down side for me as they are really the only reason i wanted to start trying out Linux. Another major let down by Parallels Workstation is that there was no cool switching of screens effect I've seen on youtube videos of Parallels for Mac has.

• So I was wondering if I can use VMWare to run parallels and would it support XGL, compiz, beryl and the rest?
  • Also is there a way to actually have it so that it loads a native installation rather than just an image (never used VMWare before)?
  • Finally which is considered better, Parallels Workstation or VMWare?

Appreciate any help :)

I'm not too sure, but you might be able to run Beryl off a Ubuntu 7.04 Live CD- after sudo apt-get install desktop-effects.. maybe

Failing that, try the kororaa live cd.

On the virtulisation topic; as far as I know there is no way of doing it. You need vmware to have hardware acceleration- which it doesn't right now... sorry :/

Hopefully you'll figure out a dual boot system :)

Track down and torrent Ultimate Ubuntu DVD 1.3. It's a live DVD thats preloaded with tons of programs that you can run straight off of it (including and most importantly, Beryl.) Although I hope you have integrated intel graphics or it might give you some trouble.

Hi ya Ace,

Let me get this right. You want to run Beryl eyecandy under a Linux guest OS? You will be disappointed (few already pointed out) due to the guest's graphics restrictions. For now, you can only run Beryl on a native Linux install with direct access to your physical video card. Parallels' "cool switching of screens effect" only works under OS X. Windows XP does not have that capability.

If you want to try out Beryl/Compiz to see if it supports your video card, try the LiveCD demo of your favorite distro. Make sure that the eyecandy is included in the LiveCD :thumbsup_anim: .

VMware WS is by far the best to use for both Windows and Linux. Parallels basically dropped the hat on Windows and Linux support to make more money from Mac users. Please read any support feedback in Parallels Forums under Windows/Linux and compare how advanced the Mac version is against the one for Win and Lin. You will also remember that parallels was the same author as Serenity Virtual Station, and look how far that went until they lost interest in development (my own opinion).

cheers..

Firstly I wanted to thank everyone for relying with you sugestion. Really helps.

first you should get a newer version of ubuntu and second you can't get beryl in a VM currently

P.S. i strongly recommend compiz over beryl now that both teams are working together

Yeah i only used 6.06 because I had a live cd which i asked to me mailed to me. Also like i said i'm new to linux (and still wondering what's it's point to be honest) and so I havn't been able to figure out the differences from compiz and beryl. In toutube videos they both look the same and that's all I was able to go on.

Track down and torrent Ultimate Ubuntu DVD 1.3. It's a live DVD thats preloaded with tons of programs that you can run straight off of it (including and most importantly, Beryl.)
I might just give that a go. Thanks. :)

Hi ya Ace,

Let me get this right. You want to run Beryl eyecandy under a Linux guest OS? You will be disappointed (few already pointed out) due to the guest's graphics restrictions. For now, you can only run Beryl on a native Linux install with direct access to your physical video card. Parallels' "cool switching of screens effect" only works under OS X. Windows XP does not have that capability.

If you want to try out Beryl/Compiz to see if it supports your video card, try the LiveCD demo of your favorite distro. Make sure that the eyecandy is included in the LiveCD ;) .

VMware WS is by far the best to use for both Windows and Linux. Parallels basically dropped the hat on Windows and Linux support to make more money from Mac users. Please read any support feedback in Parallels Forums under Windows/Linux and compare how advanced the Mac version is against the one for Win and Lin. You will also remember that parallels was the same author as Serenity Virtual Station, and look how far that went until they lost interest in development (my own opinion).

cheers..

Hey domino, you've got it on one. Sorry if i didn't explain the situation clearly before. The main reason I wanted to try and run linux under Parallels or VMWare is because I just thought it would be easier to test one distro at a time and delete it and move onto the next if I didn't like it, without having to mess around with partitions.

Do anyone know where I can get an ubuntu (or any other popular distro) live cd with the eyecandy included?

BTW until I buy a dedicated graphics card my system only has a GMA950. Will the eyecandy run on it reasonably?

And domino, i'm liking the new title. :unsure:

Thanks again everyone. Really appreciate it all.

BTW until I buy a dedicated graphics card my system only has a GMA950. Will the eyecandy run on it reasonably?

When I had Ubuntu installed on my Bootcamp partition Beryl ran fine on my GMA 950. I've hit a wall trying to install feisty, is it not supported at this time? Not really a big deal, just wanted to screw around with a new version...

Hi Ace,

there's absolutely no reason why you can't run a virtual Linux distro using either Q, virtualbox, parallels or vmware. they all do the same job. I just think vmware has better support under linux and windows host and parallels is so much better under Mac host. But if you are looking to install compiz/beryl under a virtual environment, it's not possible at the moment. Unless by a miracle, either apps get direct access to the host video card. The GMA950 should be better supported now than 6 months ago. Look for a LiveCD with compiz/beryl pre-installed and you'll see how well it works.

I'm not really sure if fiesty has compiz installed by default. I know that you have to manually install beryl from the repo to get it working. For now, have a shot with compiz to see how responsive your system will be, even on a livecd. Beryl just have more features than the compiz.

Thanks again domino. I'll look for a live cd with compiz or beryl and give it a whirl.

Mac-mini, if beryl has more features than the compiz, why would you recomend compiz? Just interested.

• 3 weeks later...
FORGET ABOUT RUNNING A 3D DESKTOP UNDER VIRTUALIZATION until 3D acceleration in VMs is complete!

to put it a bit more politely, currently there is no support for 3d graphics under any virtualization program. as beryl/compiz rely completely on the 3d graphics capabilities of all modern graphics cards(they render the desktop as textures on a 3d surface as opposed to a simple 2d surface generated through software) you will have to wait till support is added for this. with the way virtualization software is gaining popularity development of this may not be so far off as long as it can be supported by hardware and your operating system.

as far as linux distributions go you might want to check out Sabayon linux. it's developed primarily as a linux media center with a big focus on eye candy. it also has binary compatability with ubuntu. a minuature live-CD sized distro was released not to long ago if you don't want to bother downloading a live-DVD.

get it here:

http://www.sabayonlinux.org/index.php?opti...6&Itemid=27

or save a mirror and use a torrent:

http://www.linuxtracker.org/download.php?i...ion.iso.torrent