What is your Utopia?

21 posts in this topic

Communism :jester:

Communism (the real thing: no state-owned productive means, but people-owned, freedom not by law enforcement but by self-control and individual responsibility, equality, solidarity and compeition not by capital but by aptitudes and skills) is my utopia. I'm quite sure no one will see it soon, though, precisely because real communism is just that, an utopia.

Communism (the real thing: no state-owned productive means, but people-owned, freedom not by law enforcement but by self-control and individual responsibility, equality, solidarity and compeition not by capital but by aptitudes and skills) is my utopia. I'm quite sure no one will see it soon, though, precisely because real communism is just that, an utopia.
Seriously though, what kind of society would you guys create?

Communism :thumbsup_anim:

Seriously though, what kind of society would you guys create?

I believe that "Utopia" exists in some points of space and time (on Earth).

Example: The Netherlands of the late seventies, early eighties were a "paradise" of tolerance, equal opportunities and high living standards for (almost) everybody (except for black people). Prime Minister Joop den Uyl had much to do with it (I believe). After the "betrayal" of Dries van Agt things began to deteriorate.

Probably another "Utopia" must have been Florence under Lorenzo de' Medici, at least for the wealthier citizens.

More generally speaking I believe that each of us has an idea of what would be ideal for him/her.

What to take into account? The weather? For some people it is very important. Friendliness of the local people? Tolerance? Decent living conditions? Lack of pollution?

If most of the conditions which make life pleasant for you are there, that is your personal utopia.

I prefer to live in reality[/url]

Yes.. I agree with you. I don't want to be an unreal utopia were everything is perfect, it's too.. boring.

Communism :D

dear God :P </sarcasm>

Communism is all fine and dandy in theory, but it's innately flawed. It's designed to provide for every want a man could ever have, but the problem becomes having a finite system providing for a society's infinite wants. People start to look elsewhere for satisfaction and eventually this system will collapse. Only capitalism can properly balance want and need.

In this age as long as man's nature stays the way it is, the best we can get to Utopia is a strict capitalist system; people will only live happily if they have an incentive to work for it.

Sorry, I don't get that. Having spent much of my life in Britain I have an endless list of disappointments there.

Maybe wait until you are a bit older.

Sorry, been watching Bill Bailey a bit to much!!

Tbph, I like the world as it is. I would like to travel a bit more, as well as the human race as a whole being completely carbon neutral...

Also, it would be nice to live in a world where people (at least round here) are more accepting of my sexuality

Also, it would be nice to live in a world where people (at least round here) are more accepting of my sexuality

Where do you live in Scotland? It seemed that Glasgow and Edinburgh were (reasonably) OK from that point of view (albeit I never lived in Edinburgh)

Edit: I realized it was a silly question. Just tell us if it is a large or small place, if you want.

Where do you live in Scotland? It seemed that Glasgow and Edinburgh were (reasonably) OK from that point of view (albeit I never lived in Edinburgh)

Edit: I realized it was a silly question. Just tell us if it is a large or small place, if you want.

I live along the morayshire coastline, between Inverness and Aberdeen. quite close to a small city called Elgin. It's about a 3 hour drive to Edinburgh or Glasgow.

What I find facisnating about this end of the woods is that we are almost closer to Scandanavia than London!

I live along the morayshire coastline, between Inverness and Aberdeen. quite close to a small city called Elgin. It's about a 3 hour drive to Edinburgh or Glasgow.

What I find facisnating about this end of the woods is that we are almost closer to Scandanavia than London!

It must be absolutely fascinating. I knew quite well a large area north of Glasgow, and every time I discovered something truly amazing.

Maybe when you are older you want to move to a larger place in order to find more tolerance :D