What are my chances?

MacMonster

16 posts in this topic

Hi All,

I have only just come across this concept of installing OSX on a PC based machine. I really want to give it a go but am not sure how far I am likely to get. I was wondering if someone could give me a rough idea based on the specs of my machine below? If you need any other info please let me know and I will do my best to find out! Thanks!

Systemax Tourbook 5102 / Custom Spec

SPECIFICATIONS:

1.6GHz Pentium-M; 1GB PC2700 RAM; 60GB hard disk; Ricoh RW8160A combo drive; 64MB ATi Mobility Radeon 9600 graphics; 15.1in 1,400 x 1,050 TFT; 802.11b WLAN; V.92 modem; 10/100 Ethernet; 3 x USB 2; FireWire; infrared; parallel; VGA; S-Video out; Type II PC Card slot; SD slot; Windows XP Professional; Ability Office 2003; Power Director Pro 2.55DE; 2yr RTB warranty. Dimensions: 320 x 270 x 30mm (WDH). Weight: 2.8kg.

:|;);)

Thanks for the info riktor and MadDoggyca, I have been doing some looking around the net and have come across and iso called "Mac OS X 10.4.8 [JaS AMD-Intel-SSE2-SSE3 with PPF1 & PPF2]" is this the kind of image I would need to aquire? Would a retail copy of OSX work? (Not restore disks)

Retails dont exist yet for intel osx so yes the JaS disc is where you want to start. BUT... you need to find out if your systems in compatible by using the wiki and investigating individual pieces of hardware. Intels are more likely to work but laptops are a pain in the ass and if your not comfortable spending long hours searching for answers then you may not want to consider such an attempt.

Cool, thanks for your help. I have been going through the forums looking for info there is a lot here for what I have im my laptop. One thing I need to know is if a native installation doesn't work is it easy to go back to xp?

MacMonster I'm only guessing but I think it should work out pretty well. You might want to consider using the disk utillity in Ubuntu live cd to partition your hard drive and leave windows on it for a dual boot.

One thing that has caused a lot of problems has been the IONetworking kext file in 10.4.8 These will probably need to be replaced with an older version. You can save yourself some trouble if you have these saved already.

Keep in mind that if you save files on your Windows partition you will be able to get to them from Mac. You can just drag them onto your Mac desktop and it will make a copy.

Thanks GimmeRed, I am unsure if I should do dual boot or not because my XP is a bit messy at the moment (not very fast - prob spyware or some {censored}) I could always do clean xp and the partition. I have burned by image 10.4.8 to disc this morning and can't wait to get home and try it out. Anyone got a link to some "How To" style posts for clean native install and partition install? Cheers.

the wiki is an invaluable resource for such things like tutorials go there and find one. If you want to only run OSX on your computer then just pop in the DVD and follow the prompts and you should have a native osx86 install. hardware compatibility varies especially with laptops! goodluck and next time check the wiki and search before posting. post your results so others will know about that laptop/hardware

Hi All,

I have only just come across this concept of installing OSX on a PC based machine. I really want to give it a go but am not sure how far I am likely to get. I was wondering if someone could give me a rough idea based on the specs of my machine below? If you need any other info please let me know and I will do my best to find out! Thanks!

Systemax Tourbook 5102 / Custom Spec

SPECIFICATIONS:

1.6GHz Pentium-M; 1GB PC2700 RAM; 60GB hard disk; Ricoh RW8160A combo drive; 64MB ATi Mobility Radeon 9600 graphics; 15.1in 1,400 x 1,050 TFT; 802.11b WLAN; V.92 modem; 10/100 Ethernet; 3 x USB 2; FireWire; infrared; parallel; VGA; S-Video out; Type II PC Card slot; SD slot; Windows XP Professional; Ability Office 2003; Power Director Pro 2.55DE; 2yr RTB warranty. Dimensions: 320 x 270 x 30mm (WDH). Weight: 2.8kg.

:(:P:D

My Acer Laptop has similar specs. Installing OSX 10.4.8 SSE2 SSE3 (select the SSE2 patches) probably won't be a problem. Make sure make room for the OSX partition with help of a partition re sizer program. Create a primary partition (fat32) and let the OSX 10.4.8 install program (disk utility) make than into an OSX partition. Do the installation, don't select hardware stuff you don't have in your machine and you'll have your SysteTosh Tourbook 5102 up and running with OS 10.4.8. Dual booting it won't be a problem by copying chain0 from the dvd to the root of your hd file. Add a line in the boot.ini and you'r all set for multiboot.

You can also opt to single boot with OSX 10.4.x. in that case just use the entire harddrive for OSX.

Thanks spartango, Mark1970 and kernalzero for all the advice. I think I will go for a native install on a clean disk. The problem I now have is that I don't think that my iso image is going to fit on my blank DVD+R RW media in Alcohol 120% the iso image shows as 4481mb but my blank media is only 4.38gb!!! Is this standard for dvd media or am i doing something wrong? I left a disk burning this morning and when I have come home there was a message saying there had been an error :(