Stay Tuned Folks

SaberSHO

38 posts in this topic

Well, ive been out of the loop for a while, and it seems that a group of talented people have fixed the kernel to again allow cputhrottling in 10.4.8. I have an unreleased and much improved version of CPUThrottler2 in the works. Basically, ive seperated it out into 3 subparts. Instead of making it an application, it is now a background daemon, a status icon(with control menu), and a prefPane. I have most of these things finished and am finishing the communication between them.

Give me a few days and I hope that ill have a new, much improved solution to your speedstepping needs....

Im sorry for seeming to have abandoned the project, i just had a lot of other work to do and didnt see the point of making it if it wasnt gonna work with the newest kernel anyway. Anyways, just give me another few days!!

Great to see you back SaberSHO, CPUthrottle is great tool!

Here is my wishlist for new CPUthrottle2 (or may be 3), I know it might be hard, but just let you know what I am dreaming of.

1. My biggest request is to manually set the Frequency ID and Voltage ID so I can impleted more "steps" of speedstep

now CPUthrottle.kext only recognize min and max frequency for my CPU

2. Define schemes for the dynamic FID/VID control, like a "powerful" scheme means when CPU use is higher than 30% for 5sec then CPU frequency go one step higher, a "saver" scheme means cpu only go higher when is higher than 45%, and there are powerest, powerful, banlance, saver, savest you can choose.

3. Fix the bug when CPU throttle 2 is open, terminal and system console went crazy. and dmg recycle bin bug as well

Edited by offall

Offal,

1. I will look into this, but CPUThrottler2 does not in and of itself define the FID, VID, that is done in the kext. CPUThrottler2 is just a control interface. Thus, im pretty sure development of this kind needs to be added to the kext for it to work.

2. My first goal is to release the improved interface that i have been working on. Once that is done, I plan on working on a much more sophisticated throttling algorithm that could do exactly what you are talking about. I also know that prasys had worked on an improved algorithm. I will try to talk to him and see what he has done in this regard.

3. This bug is already fixed in the unreleased version ;)

Offal,

1. I will look into this, but CPUThrottler2 does not in and of itself define the FID, VID, that is done in the kext. CPUThrottler2 is just a control interface. Thus, im pretty sure development of this kind needs to be added to the kext for it to work.

2. My first goal is to release the improved interface that i have been working on. Once that is done, I plan on working on a much more sophisticated throttling algorithm that could do exactly what you are talking about. I also know that prasys had worked on an improved algorithm. I will try to talk to him and see what he has done in this regard.

3. This bug is already fixed in the unreleased version ;)

Wow, sounds really promising, can't wait and see.....

um yeah...still working on it.

and there is no sse2 kernel with speedstep yet afaik, which is SEVERELY limiting my testing (im using a 10.4.6 install to test right now, i hope to god the syscalls havent changed).

Please be patient with me :)

Does it means that I will not need to reinstall the 10.4.6 for trying the new version?

I'm using the 10.4.8AMDSSE3 beta and downloading the newer Jas one and the old Jas 10.4.6 is quite hard to get now...

You've said that ACPICPUThrottle.kext is needed... Can it just be included in the new release, then?

Well, installing the kext is not the problem. The problem i sthat there is no Kernel that supports both SSE2 and Speedstep (only SSE3). I dont know what is going on with that, I would ask Kiko. My part is the CPUThrottler2 application, and im working on it as much as I can (along with way way way too much schoolwork). However, once a new kernel is made that gives us sse2 users some speedstep support, it should be very very easy to swap it in for your current 10.4.8 kernel.

i am toying with the idea to reinstall a 10.4.6 with 8.6.1 kernel.. even if i need to launch itunes as ppc-app... the throttling ability is so very much important for a laptop user like me, even if only down to 1200 ( on windows i can even use 600 mhz.. great battery life ).. i am willing to sacrifice a little battery life to have mac os ( until a macbook comes along :( ) running, but always 1700 mhz sucks quite a bit :)

Well, installing the kext is not the problem. The problem i sthat there is no Kernel that supports both SSE2 and Speedstep (only SSE3). I dont know what is going on with that, I would ask Kiko. My part is the CPUThrottler2 application, and im working on it as much as I can (along with way way way too much schoolwork). However, once a new kernel is made that gives us sse2 users some speedstep support, it should be very very easy to swap it in for your current 10.4.8 kernel.

Hi, SaberSHO,

how is the progress with the new version?

I was wondering if there won't be a new version comming soon, can you release the version you said earlier without those bugs

Thanks a lot

Hello. Hope that i'm not bothering you with stupid questions. I'm trying to get some throttling from my AMD Turion64 X2 (TL-52) cpu.

The only method for me that was close to working was the CPUThrottler2 with a kext (don't remember it to well, i used it on my 10.4.7 instalation some time ago).I found out that this CPU has only two power states (frequencies): 800 MHz and 1600 MHz (correct me if i'm wrong, and i hope i'm wrong now).The problem was that OS X86 cannot support powerstates below 1 GHz, so it was not a solution for me. Now, with 10.4.8 and Semthex 8.81 kernel that kext i've been using doesn't load anymore, so i cannot use the app.

Is there any hope for me?

I don't have problems with stuttering or other dual-core issues, but i ussualy boot with only one core enabled because my lappy is running really hot.

Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

with only two powerstates like that speedstepping will be quite useless for you, since powerstates below 1 ghz are buggy currently and thus not usable ;) i have the same problem, my centrino has a lot of powerstates but only a few enabled under mac os