How to backup my osx installation?

Wolfsrudel

11 posts in this topic

Hi,

my mac osx 10.4.8 installation is working perfectly (stable & fast).

since getting there took a lot of time, i´d like to know how to make an image, that i can restore in case of an crashed update/driver/"experiment".

i have another partition on a 2nd drive that i would like to use for that image.

is ccc 2.3 the right solution? how can i restore the image in case of an "desaster"?

thanks

chris

As Devotio said, Super Duper will do what you want. It's shareware but it's core functionality doesn't expire (You just don't get extras like Scheduling). To restore a disk image you've made. You boot with your OS X installation DVD and use disk utility to restore the backed up image to a partition of your choice.

Just to clarify, Super Duper will also back up to a Second Partition, Not just an external drive.

Edited by Rez.

Also, Acronis TrueImage also works well (although not free, and must be installed in your Windows system).

It's better then to zero out free sectors before hand, to increase the compression. TI will then store the compressed image in a fat32/ntfs partition of your choice.

I've restored many such images during tests, without problems.

Unless you have a Linux Distro installed, You really don't need a Fat32 Partition. You should be able to read an NTFS partition from within OS X. MacDrive can read from an HFS Partition and write data from it to an NTFS Partition .. Just a Thought ..

Also, Acronis TrueImage also works well (although not free, and must be installed in your Windows system).

It's better then to zero out free sectors before hand, to increase the compression. TI will then store the compressed image in a fat32/ntfs partition of your choice.

I've restored many such images during tests, without problems.

What version/edition of TrueImage did you use?

I'm trying to make a backup of my entire disk (MBR, partitions, etc), since I have an nice Vista/MacOSX dualboot setup ...

For the SuperDuper users; can SuperDuper do this as well?

Edited by Hansaplast