1. 1. Compare carefully & choose:

• Linux is more like Windows than OS X
    • OS X is more like Linux than Windows
    • Windows is more like OS X than Linux
    • OS X is more like Windows than Linux
    • Linux is more like OS X than Windows
    • Windows is more like Linux than OS X

6 posts in this topic

This forum is forever comparing OS'es and platforms, but have you ever stopped to consider the relationships between them? in doing so, I think I have discovered something surprising.. take the poll & see for yourself.

• 2 weeks later...

I voted for "Windows is more like OS X than Linux"

Perhaps I can explain why, though it was a hard choice and I could see how one could agree with any of those statements.

I believe that Linux, though relatively new itself, carries on the stability, complexity, and level of control of the OS that was born in UNIX-type systems and their predecessors. The many front end user interfaces available for different Linux variants are all wonderful and different, though all based on the original fundamental mouse and window concept created by those at Xerox research labs or whatever, and then developed and made accessible to the masses by Apple and the Mac...

Windows, though great because it is economically and strategically easy to implement, or perhaps just came around at the right time and has stolen a huge market share- has obvious faults in lack of stability and lack of simplicity and intuitive flow... It is also based on that same mouse and window concept, and merely took a great idea made popular by Apple and 'supersized' it, making it cheaply and widely available to everyone and their brother. Microsoft continues to attempt to catch up to the stability, ease of use, and simplicity yet available complexity of UNIX-family OS's, like BSD, Linux, Free-BSD, etc, and now Darwin, and hence OS X. Vista is simply an example of this - while Apple continues to evolve into something better (ie 10.5.x.x and beyond), Microsoft struggles to create something as amazing as 10.1.x.x yet still make it as cheap and widely implemented as possible (with the obvious faults therein).

So, in my logic (or attempt at such) Windows is more like OS X than Linux because Windows is constantly attempting to keep pace with the great qualities of OS X, and is less like Linux, with it's complexities and 'niche' market, etc.

I dunno, that is my take on this Hagar. I hope it makes sense, although written at 5am in a fit of insomnia. Anyone please feel free to edit, complicate, simplify, compound, or evolve on my attempts at logic. I'm just glad to be an observer (and try to be part of) the amazing evolution of Operating Systems over the last 20 years of my computer-consciousness.

On a related side note, I have decided to sell my Frankenstein XP/10.4.3 Pentium 4 machine for whatever I can get, and use the proceeds and (hopefully) my tax return funds to purchase a Macbook. All advice or guidance on this will be helpful (though not in this thread)

Hagar, I have missed interacting with you. Recently I have been thinking of a year ago, and all that I have learned from you and others on the IRC channels and forum... Not only about technological advances, but also about life and how to live it. Thanks for making me (try to) think logically tonight, I needed that again.

Have I mentioned lately how much I love this forum and everything related to it? :angry::D:pyth:

OS X is more like Linux than Windows, 90% of the all linux commands work, Linux code works on Mac, Security and Permissions of Mac are of linux and also it uses parts of Mach+BSD in its kernel.

jbjonas thats a really different viewpoint and I agree with it. To me Windows and Linux seem like two extremes, one offering security, stability etc, etc while the other offering a nice gui, compatibility etc etc. Until OSX came along on my iHack, i was usually shuffling between the two. OSX is a sweeet compromise between the two OSes, and because of this I love it.