Parallels with Boot Camp on Hackintosh

27 posts in this topic

Errr I don't think you have to do that : you can "tick" bootcamp modifying the .pvs file, or even just create a virtual machine without using Bootcamp (since you won't be able to tick it), but then edit HDD options from the newly created VM and choose bootcamp, that would work...

Edited by cyclonefr

• 2 weeks later...

macgirl : can u be able to boot ur window with the GUID scheme?

The PVS edit method works for me but it doesn't work after a few updates in window. I might give ur method a try. can u give us a guide for the GUID scheme?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/297800 <--- is this the method u use for the window partition? does it work on a 2nd hard drive?

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303220 <--- ah... i think this could be the answer. i'll give it a try.

btw, do u have trouble booting windows natively under GUID partition?

Edited by kfc

I never could boot from the GUID Disk, I could boot from other disk (MBR Scheme) but I kept the GUID Disk in order to Parallels accept the Boot Camp option.

Anyway the GUI disk has just a data partition so I can use it on OSX and XP

For partition the Spare DISK as GUID I used Disk Utility, I selected the whole Disk, then in the partition TAB I press the option button and selected GUID Scheme, then the partition button.

Hi guys.

After reading info about using GUID partition to cheat Parallel for having bootcamp partition existed within hackintosh (thx to Macgirl) in this thread

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...776&hl=guid

I've tried to do a fresh install for my hackintosh and came to a conclusion that I have a sure way of making this work.

No need to edit .pvs files at all.

1.) Prepare 2 hard disk. 1st for both ur winxp and osx. 2nd hdd for a GUID partition table (main usage for me is to store all of my data files).

2.) using ur Jas DVD. Boot in to it and use disk utility to partition ur 1st hdd to 2 partition. reason for this is both of the partition table will be in primary partition instead of extended partition. This will make sure that ur chain0 loader will be able to load ur osx partition.

3.) Install xp in 1st partition in 1st HDD. use NTFS or Fat32 will do.

4.) Install OSX from ur Jas DVD. use darwin bootloader to boot in to xp after installation and set xp partition to active. be sure to append " <key>Timeout</key> <string>yes</string>" in to ur apple.com.boot.plist

5.) put chain0 file in c:\ and append c:\chain0="Mac OSX x86" in to boot.ini

6.) now boot in to osx. install parallel desktop regularly like a real intelmac.

7.) select bootcamp partition from parallel option without editing .pvs

8.) successful boot for me.

in conclusion. Both edit .pvs and GUID method works. only drawback from .pvs editing method is it wouldn't work anymore after a few updates to ur windows. so far GUID method works everytime for me and it makes ur hackintosh feels as if like the real macpro.

Cheers.

I was able to boot my native Windows partition to boot just by modifying the .pvs file.

And I don't have a GUID disk.

I have 2 disks (both MBR) - one has 2 primary NTFS partitions, and the other has 1 primary NTFS partition and 1 primary HFS+ partition.

Too bad the mouse doesn't work for me in the Windows installation through Parallels, and I can't even install Parallels Tools to install the mouse driver.

I think I've figured some stuff out regarding this.

Before I continue, I'll state some relevant configuration. Only ONE disk in my system right now, MBR partitioned into 2 partitions, OS X and Windows XP. The OS X partition is the first on the disk, the XP one second. Both are obviously primary partitions.

The latest version of Parallels has always let me select the boot camp option (build 3170 and now 3186), but when trying to boot it would give me the "Unable to open disk image Boot Camp" error message.

I tried to specify the partition using the instructions here: http://forums.parallels.com/showthread.php...ustom+boot+camp

No dice, still wouldn't boot.

I then tried to see whether I could use my Windows partition as a secondary partition while booting from my normal image file. Parallels didn't fuss at all, and it showed up as the F drive.

That was kinda weird, what could possibly be different. Parallels was able to use the partition as a secondary one in the virtual machine, and the only difference between that and using it as the main boot partition was the ability to actually boot it. This made me think .. Parallels basically connects to the entire disk, not just the partition. Of course the stupid thing wouldn't boot right, the OS X partition is the active partition, not the Windows one!

So I used fdisk in OS X (the OS X one), to manually make the Windows partition active while OS X was running. Ding ding! Parallels didn't give the error anymore, and started booting from the Windows "boot camp" partition!

Now mind you, I got a BSOD shortly after this, but this seemed like an issue that happened on regular Macs too depending on your method of Windows installation, etc: See here, 4th post down: http://forums.parallels.com/showthread.php...ghlight=mup.sys

Just right now I booted the XP CD in Parallels with the "boot camp" partition enabled, and repaired the installation. It rebooted and I'm running the 2nd part of the repair right now in Parallels booted off the "boot camp" partition! Lets see if we can make it to the end of the repair and still have it booting!

Anyways, on to the technical details of how I did this:

My MBR is a standard MBR, no special bootloaders installed. I could not get this to work with SmartBootManager installed no matter what.

1. Make sure the Windows/"Boot Camp" partition is unmounted at all times when you go to use Parallels. Since I don't use that partition in the Finder/OS X anyways, I just set OS X to not automount it on boot anyways. Instructions how to do that here: http://forums.macosxhints.com/showthread.php?p=353615

2. Start Terminal. Either su, or sudo fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0 <--- Depending on your actual disk with Windows partition. I'd imagine that this "active partition" issue only applies to those with a single disk with both OS X and Windows.

Once in fdisk, type in "print", minus the quotes. See which one is your Windows partition.

Next you want to do "flag x" .. "x" being the number of your Windows partition. For instance, my Windows partition is 2, so I'd type "flag 2". Type in "write", then "quit".

3. Make sure your Parallels .pvs file is set to use bootcamp and specify the Windows partition /dev/ entry. Eg. Disk 0:0 image = Boot Camp;disk0s2. See this thread here for how to do this: http://forums.parallels.com/showthread.php...ustom+boot+camp

4. Again, make sure your Windows disk is unmounted from Finder. Start parallels. If you're lucky, Windows will boot up!

5. Don't forget to set your OS X partition as active again before you reboot your computer, or else you'll be booting into Windows. I'm sure there is a way that we can automate/script the fdisk stuff I did above so that it will set the Windows partition as active after OSX is booted up, and then set the OS X partition back as active when you go to shut down/restart.

I'll check in again after my "repair" is done!

It's working!!!!!!!!

post-2091-1172716943_thumb.png

Did you try to uninstall the current mouse driver and reboot in order to install the parallels mouse driver?

I've got it fixed finally.

I enabled auto login in Windows, booted in Parallels, and then attached an extra USB mouse to the VM. Then I installed Parallels Tools and everything was fine.

DS: Any joy on scripting up that active partition change? I dont want Windows to be my active partition (I want to boot into OS X by default), but i'd like to be able to use Parallels to boot my 'boot camp' :)

I haven't yet, I've just been testing and making sure everything works well before moving onto that. As of today though, it seems like everything is perfect, Windows XP is updated with all relevant updates and still boots perfectly native and in Parallels. The installation has been promoted to my primary usage one and I've deleted my virtual HD!

I'll update if I get any automation going though.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, looking forward to that if you get it!

I tried on my laptop, it came up with a thing saying it would only work after a restart.

Funnily enough, it loaded up windows and now I can't get back to Mac =P Starting the

computer again tomorrow

• 3 months later...

Never was able to automate it, but I'm using the latest VMWare fusion, and you won't even need to do this with it!

The pitfall of this whole thing is if your system crashed while you were in Parallels when you rebooted your system would just boot directly into Windows as it was the active partition.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi All. I'm trying to follow this thread, but admittedly, I am a converted windows user that is brand new to the Mac world. I built a computer and installed Kalyway DVD v 10.5.1.

The leopard os partition is comprised of the entire capacity of a 500GB Parallel ATA HDD. I have a two other physical drives. 1 is a 320 GB SATA and the other is an 80 GB SATA. The 320 GB SATA is a Windows Partition and the 80 GB is just free space. No crucial data on either.

I am trying to get boot camp to run on leopard but I receive a 'Boot Camp Assistant cannot be used'...'You must update your computers' Boot ROM firmware before using this setup assistant'.

What would be my best move towards getting Boot Camp to run on my existing leopard installation?? Is it possible to partition either of the other physical drives to run an XP VM inside my leopard install?

Thank You very much!

• 2 months later...
I think I've figured some stuff out regarding this.

Before I continue, I'll state some relevant configuration. Only ONE disk in my system right now, MBR partitioned into 2 partitions, OS X and Windows XP. The OS X partition is the first on the disk, the XP one second. Both are obviously primary partitions.

The latest version of Parallels has always let me select the boot camp option (build 3170 and now 3186), but when trying to boot it would give me the "Unable to open disk image Boot Camp" error message.

I tried to specify the partition using the instructions here: http://forums.parallels.com/showthread.php...ustom+boot+camp

No dice, still wouldn't boot.

I then tried to see whether I could use my Windows partition as a secondary partition while booting from my normal image file. Parallels didn't fuss at all, and it showed up as the F drive.

That was kinda weird, what could possibly be different. Parallels was able to use the partition as a secondary one in the virtual machine, and the only difference between that and using it as the main boot partition was the ability to actually boot it. This made me think .. Parallels basically connects to the entire disk, not just the partition. Of course the stupid thing wouldn't boot right, the OS X partition is the active partition, not the Windows one!

So I used fdisk in OS X (the OS X one), to manually make the Windows partition active while OS X was running. Ding ding! Parallels didn't give the error anymore, and started booting from the Windows "boot camp" partition!

Now mind you, I got a BSOD shortly after this, but this seemed like an issue that happened on regular Macs too depending on your method of Windows installation, etc: See here, 4th post down: http://forums.parallels.com/showthread.php...ghlight=mup.sys

Just right now I booted the XP CD in Parallels with the "boot camp" partition enabled, and repaired the installation. It rebooted and I'm running the 2nd part of the repair right now in Parallels booted off the "boot camp" partition! Lets see if we can make it to the end of the repair and still have it booting!

Anyways, on to the technical details of how I did this:

My MBR is a standard MBR, no special bootloaders installed. I could not get this to work with SmartBootManager installed no matter what.

1. Make sure the Windows/"Boot Camp" partition is unmounted at all times when you go to use Parallels. Since I don't use that partition in the Finder/OS X anyways, I just set OS X to not automount it on boot anyways. Instructions how to do that here: http://forums.macosxhints.com/showthread.php?p=353615

2. Start Terminal. Either su, or sudo fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0 <--- Depending on your actual disk with Windows partition. I'd imagine that this "active partition" issue only applies to those with a single disk with both OS X and Windows.

Once in fdisk, type in "print", minus the quotes. See which one is your Windows partition.

Next you want to do "flag x" .. "x" being the number of your Windows partition. For instance, my Windows partition is 2, so I'd type "flag 2". Type in "write", then "quit".

3. Make sure your Parallels .pvs file is set to use bootcamp and specify the Windows partition /dev/ entry. Eg. Disk 0:0 image = Boot Camp;disk0s2. See this thread here for how to do this: http://forums.parallels.com/showthread.php...ustom+boot+camp

4. Again, make sure your Windows disk is unmounted from Finder. Start parallels. If you're lucky, Windows will boot up!

5. Don't forget to set your OS X partition as active again before you reboot your computer, or else you'll be booting into Windows. I'm sure there is a way that we can automate/script the fdisk stuff I did above so that it will set the Windows partition as active after OSX is booted up, and then set the OS X partition back as active when you go to shut down/restart.

I'll check in again after my "repair" is done!

It's working!!!!!!!!

DS this worked for me as I have vista and OSX 10.5.2 on the same disc. I cant believe you have to mark the windows partition active. HOW ANNOYiNG..

Has anyone gotten a script to mark the partition active and then unmark it after done?

Also do you guys always have to repair the windows partition whenever you switch from natively booting the disc to when you virtually boot it?

I hope someone can answer to these questions. THX

• 1 year later...
Hi guys.

After reading info about using GUID partition to cheat Parallel for having bootcamp partition existed within hackintosh (thx to Macgirl) in this thread

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...776&hl=guid

I've tried to do a fresh install for my hackintosh and came to a conclusion that I have a sure way of making this work.

No need to edit .pvs files at all.

1.) Prepare 2 hard disk. 1st for both ur winxp and osx. 2nd hdd for a GUID partition table (main usage for me is to store all of my data files).

2.) using ur Jas DVD. Boot in to it and use disk utility to partition ur 1st hdd to 2 partition. reason for this is both of the partition table will be in primary partition instead of extended partition. This will make sure that ur chain0 loader will be able to load ur osx partition.

3.) Install xp in 1st partition in 1st HDD. use NTFS or Fat32 will do.

4.) Install OSX from ur Jas DVD. use darwin bootloader to boot in to xp after installation and set xp partition to active. be sure to append " <key>Timeout</key> <string>yes</string>" in to ur apple.com.boot.plist

5.) put chain0 file in c:\ and append c:\chain0="Mac OSX x86" in to boot.ini

6.) now boot in to osx. install parallel desktop regularly like a real intelmac.

7.) select bootcamp partition from parallel option without editing .pvs

8.) successful boot for me.

in conclusion. Both edit .pvs and GUID method works. only drawback from .pvs editing method is it wouldn't work anymore after a few updates to ur windows. so far GUID method works everytime for me and it makes ur hackintosh feels as if like the real macpro.

Cheers.

hi, i know this is kinda old, but i just discovered this hackintosh project and i followed your guide.. i managed to boot to windows xp via parallels with no problem at all, however, when i tried to run natively on windows xp, i ran into BOSD.. my setup is a BENQ mini notebook with 1x160gb harddisk, i partitioned it with 40gb mac osx, 15 gb winxp..

how can i solve this issue? thanks..

• 4 months later...

I just installed Parallels desktop 4 and set up my VM to run my real Windows 7 disk, but the machine doesn't run because it says hardware virtualization is disabled. Is it even possible to get virtualization on a hackintosh? Running SL 10.6.2 on a rampage formula.

I just installed Parallels desktop 4 and set up my VM to run my real Windows 7 disk, but the machine doesn't run because it says hardware virtualization is disabled. Is it even possible to get virtualization on a hackintosh? Running SL 10.6.2 on a rampage formula.

Both VirtualBox and Parallels desktop 5 work fine on my hackintosh