My solution for Broadcom 440X problems on 10.4.8

zlazh

73 posts in this topic

• 3 weeks later...

In ubuntu linux lspci detects my NIC as

Broadcom Corporation BCM4401-B0 100Base-TX (rev 02)

I've tried using uphuck 10.4.9 v1.2, v1.3, v1.4i r2 and the wired NIC hasn't worked with either of them. v1.2 acted the strangest because the airport wireless card (Broadcom Corporation Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN Mini-PCI Card (rev 01) 802.11 b/g) worked fine but displayed that airport wireless card as "Built-in Ethernet" in Network Preferences. No Airport card was shown in Network Preferences even though wireless worked properly and it didn't show the signal strength but webpages were working with no ethernet cable plugged in. This was fixed in v1.3 and v1.4i and the wireless card was shown properly as AirPort but the wired NIC shown above still doesn't work.

After installing this patch, it detects the above hardware as: PCI Ethernet Slot ethernet. The driver didn't seem to work for me because the nic wasn't acquiring an IP Address nor was it working with manually entering the IP information. (this same card works fine with DHCP in ubuntu and windows vista (multi boot) and is reported to work in the HCL list on previous OS builds.

***UPDATE***

Just released yesterday: uphuck 10.4.9 Intel x86 install dvd v1.4i r3

I just installed v1.4 r3 and can verify that the IONetworkingfamily patch from 10.4.8 that is bundled with v1.4 r3 will make the Broadcom BCM4401-B0 100Base-TX (rev 02) chipset work that didn't in the previous releases. This patch also lists the card in network preferences as PCI Ethernet Slot ethernet as I described above except with the patch in uphuck v1.4 r3 everything works as it should.

Here's the working IONetworkingfamily.kext from v10.4.8 that's included as a patch with uphuck v1.4 r3 for this chipset.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guy, you are so bright, I have searched for one day, and only your method is workable for me, thanks!

My notebook is Samsung X06

Hello:)

I desperatly need some help!

Now I have used this before(this guide) and it worked, I'm sure

but now, this is what I did:

1.Install mac

2.Install mac 10.4.9

3.Install mac 10.4.10

4.Install drivers (sigmatel, working,)

5.Install ethernet

I did exactly what told, but then when I restarted and when I went to system preferences>network the dot was yellow(built-in ethernet) and it said that my pc was connected but not to the internet, also my IP adress was really weird nor(164.x.x.x or something, while it should begin with 10 since it's a router, there was no number after router)

Then I set up the network manually, I filled in my router address(xx.x.x.xxx) my ip adress (10.0.0.whatever(between 1 and 99, I filled in the dns 195.xxx.x.xx and dns 2 on the seccond line 195.xxx.x.xx)and the dot went green, saying connected to the internet, BUT internet doesn't work! safari wont connect, nor will my mail program!

On windows both DHCP and manual setup work,

what do I do?

Hey everyone,

I also need a little help... using Uphuck 1.4i, can't get my Broadcom NetXtreme 4401 to work! I know it already has the replaces IONetworkingFamily.kext so I shouldn't need to do anything... I selected that file in the install and everything, but OSX refuses to see the network adapter whatsoever. Can someone please help?

Thanks!

Btw using an Acer TravelMate 4670, Core Duo T2300, 1GB RAM, X1400 video, sound (working) and a Broadcom NetXtreme 4401 with a Pro Wireless that isn't gonna work anytime soon until drivers that work are released. I'm using the Uphuck 1.4i R3 release.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
You dont need the IOPCIfamily.kext for the networkcard to work.

in the 10.4.8.(from Jas 10.4.8 sse2sse3amd) the AppleBCM440xEthernet.kext inside the plugins is PPC only. therefore you need to replace it with a Universal one (from 10.4.7 or 10.4.5)

1. put the the Universal version AppleBCM440xEthernet.kext into IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/

2. DiskUntility to Repair permission.

3. reboot. the AppleBCM440x should work now

4. For Dell computer, you need to turn off Windows before to active the networkcard (Dells BIO put the network card to sleep if the widnows goes to sleep)

This works for me i use the Leopard 10.5.1 IONetworkingFamily.kext just follow the steps...

• 3 weeks later...

I have followed the zlazh solution, the network card seems to be working under System Pref -> Network. But I can't ping my router at 192.168.1.1 NO ROUTE TO HOST/HOST IS DOWN, Where is the error???

Zlah I'm italian like you help me please :P

PS: I've an Acer 5610 with uphuck 10.4.9intel

I have followed the zlazh solution, the network card seems to be working under System Pref -> Network. But I can't ping my router at 192.168.1.1 NO ROUTE TO HOST/HOST IS DOWN, Where is the error???

Zlah I'm italian like you help me please :blink:

PS: I've an Acer 5610 with uphuck 10.4.9intel

Hi marianoc84,

What do you see in Syspreferences -> Network?

For me, after I install uphuck 10.4.9, Network preferences crashes. Even after zlazh solution, it still crashes. I think it does because there is no device (ethernet or wifi) detected.

I install some wifi driver (3949BG) and then an ethernet device appears. This device is not functional but network settings ceases to crash. I try to instantiate DHCP (which should work) and no link is detected - even with manual IP. This leads me to beleive this is my WIFI device being detected as ethernet.

==========EDIT==========

I followed flow's version of the kext. After disabling the other port (thats probably the wifi device) and using manual IP, I can access internet. Im crying of Joy because I've been trying for 2 friggin' months.

I've seen my laptop (Acer Aspire 5540) wifi functional on this forum so I'm satisfied but I'll keep trying for wifi...

I've reinstalled all system, and as happened last time System Pref. -> Networking cause a crash (all ok for now).

Then I've substituted old AppleBCM440XEthernet.kext with Universal of the same file, repair permission, then restart...

But Sys Pref. -> Networking crash again.

captain what I've to do again?

Hi guys.

This tutorial worked perfectly for me in 10.4.8 JAS release.

Now I installed Kalway 10.5.1. Ethernet worked out of the box.

But the connection is not stable. It works randomly...sometimes for 10, sometimes for 30 minutes. Then it jsut stop working. Only restart solves the problem...for a random amount of time. Is there any solution?

Thank you in advance.

This problem has kinda been ignored because we could always just replace the IONetworkingFamily.kext from 10.4.6 to fix it; but with Leopard, we need the latest IONetworkingFamily.kext in order to keep Wireless working.

So, if you're on a laptop and sometimes switch between the two, it can be a nagging issue, otherwise you can just replace the kext and be fine :D

• 5 weeks later...

My Broadcom 440x was working on 10.4.8 and 10.4.9, but since my update to 10.4.10 the ethernet stop works.

The driver loads but when I set automatic DHCP , a strange IP like 169.XXX.XXX APPEARS, and internet don´t connect.

I try automatic ip too, but without success.

Somebody can help me?

• 1 month later...
Hi, it's Zlazh here, that's my first post, my own solution for ethernet (wiring) problems with Broadcom and P4 2,8 ghz sse2.

Sorry for my poor english but i'm italian.

I'm using Jas 10,4,8 with ppf2 patch ( http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=38125 ) :D

As many of you already know that bcm has a lot of problems with the new kext... (the famous IONetworkingFamily.kext 1.5.1)

So the target is very simple...

Expert people solution (basically if you know Mac OS Terminal Language :P )

You need two files, the previous version of IONetworkingFamily.kext and IOPCIFamily.kext U can find them below, there's the link.

Now u just have to drag n' drop them in /System/Library/Extensions, repair disk permissions, do kextload and kextcache for both of them (first load and cahce the first, then the second) and then reboot... Et voila, it just works :)

Noobs solution (the one i used too :P )

download IOPCIFamily.kext here ( http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...ost&id=6293 ) and IONetWorkingFamily.kext. here ( http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...ost&id=1733 )

(Credit goes to Billy for PCI, to dell700m for IONEt and to Rammjet for his compilation :) )

they are the old version of these kext.

place them in ur mac desktop

open /System/Library/Extensions

and drag n' drop them in that folder... a message will appear telling u the operation can't be done, ignore it and click on the button Autentication (I dunno if it't the same in english, i'm using mac in italian, u just have two buttons, a OK and the other, click the other)

and insert ur password if requested. Both files already exist so if it asks you to replace them (again a bare translation from italian).

Open Finder>Application>Utility>Disk Utility , click on your mac disk and on the button "repair Disk Permissions"

then close it :P

I hope everything it's ok till now :)

Now open finder>application>utility>Terminal

now follow me (i hope i will not make any mistake, i'll be grateful if anyone more expert will correct me :P )

Type

sudo -s

and then insert ur password

now type

kextload -t /System/Library/Extensions/IONetWorkingFamily.kext

then type

kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions/

and do the same with IOPCIFamily, like this

kextload -t /System/Library/Extensions/IOPCIFamily.kext

and then

kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions/

in the end type reboot

Ur mac will reboot and if we both didn't make any error, the game will be over... :pirate2:

Hope it will work, tell me if it does, and please correct me if i made mistakes...

:thumbsup_anim:

hey^^

nice tutorial but i got a very big problem... NO WIRELESS :blink: !!!!!!

i did every thing u said but i still don't get any internet :(

i was just woundering what is the problem????????

i can connect the computer to cable but not wireless!!!!!

if u wan't to i can make a video of it...(post me for a video)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I've running 10.5.0/1/2/3 and my BCM440 Works! Just copy the AppleBCM440XEthernet.kext (attached below) to /System/Libary/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily/Contents/Plugins/

Then

rm /System/Libary/Extensions.mkext
Then reboot and have fun :D

There is an Issue with the new kexts that the BCM440 kext randomly crashes Networking (often when you transfer much data). This can be fixed under Network settings/Advanced/Ethernet - set to custom and half dublex -> slower Ethernet but no crashes :D

AppleBCM440XEthernet.kext.zip

I've running 10.5.0/1/2/3 and my BCM440 Works! Just copy the AppleBCM440XEthernet.kext (attached below) to /System/Libary/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily/Contents/Plugins/

Then

rm /System/Libary/Extensions.mkext
Then reboot and have fun :D

There is an Issue with the new kexts that the BCM440 kext randomly crashes Networking (often when you transfer much data). This can be fixed under Network settings/Advanced/Ethernet - set to custom and half dublex -> slower Ethernet but no crashes ;)

KalyWay 10.5.2 + 10.5.3 ComboUpdate + this solution works fine

but no solution for Broadcom 4312 WiFi card :D

Dell Truemobile 1490 now working fine!

1. Solution from BuildSmart

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=109613)

2. If your Broadcom 4311 adapter always OFF - there is my simple solution

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...st=#entry926891