Attansic L1 Driver Project

DaemonES

597 posts in this topic

Hello, Im an osx newbie...

Im using P5L-MX with no SATA device connected, having tried the latest one and got no installation problem. After installation, it didn't detect if my network cable plugged so I decided to reboot it.

No problem at all when rebooting, the driver loaded successfully, and no problem at mac detection. Also it can bring up my ethernet (tx/rx lamp blinking), detect my cable, and successfully ping localhost.

But cannot ping to outside (example : my router).

The log is as below

senos-computer kernel[0]: [AttansicL1Ethernet] AttansicL1Ethernet::atl1RxInterrupt 
Mar 22 08:45:56 rahardianto-senos-computer kernel[0]: [AttansicL1Ethernet] RRD problem, packet is not valid 
Mar 22 08:45:57 rahardianto-senos-computer kernel[0]: [AttansicL1Ethernet] AttansicL1Ethernet::atl1TxInterrupt 
Mar 22 08:45:57 rahardianto-senos-computer kernel[0]: [AttansicL1Ethernet] sw_tpd_next_to_clean 92, cmb_tpd_next_to_clean 92 
Mar 22 08:45:57 rahardianto-senos-computer kernel[0]: [AttansicL1Ethernet] Error: rx exception: status = 0x65300021 
Mar 22 08:45:57 rahardianto-senos-computer kernel[0]: [AttansicL1Ethernet] AttansicL1Ethernet::atl1RxInterrupt 
Mar 22 08:45:57 rahardianto-senos-computer kernel[0]: [AttansicL1Ethernet] RRD problem, packet is not valid 
Mar 22 08:45:57 rahardianto-senos-computer kernel[0]: [AttansicL1Ethernet] AttansicL1Ethernet::atl1TxInterrupt 
Mar 22 08:45:57 rahardianto-senos-computer kernel[0]: [AttansicL1Ethernet] sw_tpd_next_to_clean 92, cmb_tpd_next_to_clean 92 
Mar 22 08:45:57 rahardianto-senos-computer kernel[0]: [AttansicL1Ethernet] Error: rx exception: status = 0x65300021 
Mar 22 08:45:57 rahardianto-senos-computer kernel[0]: [AttansicL1Ethernet] AttansicL1Ethernet::atl1RxInterrupt

DaemonES : Hope you will continue this development :D

• 3 weeks later...

I asked the person who made an L1 driver for Linux to take a look at this thread (here's his site:http://lkml.org/lkml/2006/9/27/143)

here's his reply:

I can't quite figure out where the sticking point is... Here's a guess:

ISSUE 1. Some users can't get a MAC address.

COMMENT: Depending upon the motherboard in use, the MAC address may be fetched from an EEPROM, or it may be written directly to the mac station address register during POST. This condition wasn't handled in the original Attansic vendor driver, so we added it to the Linux version:

static int atl1_get_permanent_address(struct atl1_hw *hw) { [snip]

/*

* On some motherboards, the MAC address is written by the

* BIOS directly to the MAC register during POST, and is

* not stored in eeprom. If all else thus far has failed

* to fetch the permanent MAC address, try reading it directly.

*/

addr[0] = ioread32(hw->hw_addr + REG_MAC_STA_ADDR);

addr[1] = ioread16(hw->hw_addr + (REG_MAC_STA_ADDR + 4));

*(u32 *) &eth_addr[2] = swab32(addr[0]);

*(u16 *) &eth_addr[0] = swab16(*(u16 *) &addr[1]);

if (is_valid_ether_addr(eth_addr)) {

memcpy(hw->perm_mac_addr, eth_addr, ETH_ALEN);

return 0;

}

ISSUE 2. Invalid packets generating rx_exception.

COMMENT: The interrupt status register value (0x65300021) printed in your user's log indicates a receive return descriptor (RRD) overflow (bit 5; see ISR_RRD_OV in the hardware header file). Since you're user doesn't seem to be receiving *any* packets, I'd guess your driver isn't allocating memory correctly for the RRDs, and they're piling up on down on the NIC since it can't hand them up to the driver.

newelement

Too bad you don't live close by. I could mail a board to you. Anywho...
Any controller vendor have so called sample boards. Small PCI or PCI-E expansions cards. But their event don't want to email documentation, I'm just want to develop driver for free to increase my skills :jester:

azerak thanks, will look on it.

• 2 weeks later...

I was able to load the driver(or so it would seem) because it was able to tell that I had a built in modem this time, bu tit was not able to automatically configure my connection. When I manually set the values it was not able to make a connection. Any ideas why?

• 2 weeks later...