Refresh rates

dirtydog

11 posts in this topic

Has anyone managed to successfully up the refresh rate from 60Hz? I'm using a CRT monitor and it's painful at that frequency.

My card is a 128MB Geforce4 Ti 4200, which is recognised as a VESA 3.0 card on the boot screen.

I have tried entering "Graphics Mode"="1024x768x32@85" but all that happens is, it starts to boot and then resets a few seconds later! I have tried other refresh rates and even lower resolutions too. I can change the resolution that way, but if I try and change the refresh rate it just won't boot.

My card is supported by OSX so there should be a way of getting this to work, right?! ;)

There is an error message while booting - which doesn't stop it booting though - which may or may not be related:-

Cannot resolve dependencies for kernel extension /System/Library/Extensions/geforce.kext

Anything else I can try? :D

I have the same problem that you are having except I have a ATI x800 XT PE. Its a VESA 3.0 Card and when I add the refresh rate to the end of the Graphics Mode statement, my computer reboots. They I have to boot the computer in safe mode -x then I have to restart again to get Tiger to boot properly. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Syirrus

I've looked through some Darwin documentation, but everything is for Xfree86.... nothing for aqua..

This is very strange, a lot of us with vesa 3 can't change our refresh rates.

I put in a new refresh rate and it just reboots.

I still wonder if it might have something to do with horizontal refresh rates... but I don't know how to change these in com.apple.boot.plist. Maybe there is another file we can edit?

GURUS HELP US!?

i may try getting xfree86 running in the next couple days.. i will see if i can get a refresh rate via that.... and also an nvidia driver running with darwin and x11....

btw is the only way to get into the console without aqua to boot with boot graphics=no?

(dont want single user mode) might there be a way to exit aqua? maybe killing the process?

come to think of it after typing this... what we are actually getting loaded is a framebuffer device i think. maybe some kernel hacking is in order too.

MUCH TO DO much to do.

Yeah I have that problem as well.

If i try to put in a refresh reate in the Boot.plist file OS X just repeats booting. But if I put in the refresh rate manually at boot time then it works fine.

btw is the only way to get into the console without aqua to boot with boot graphics=no?

(dont want single user mode) might there be a way to exit aqua? maybe killing the process?

If you enable the username+password login window (as opposed to the user list), you can type ">console" at the user name prompt, and Aqua will quit, leaving you with an old ASCII “glass terminal”. Type "logout" to restart Aqua.

I have a Geforce FX-5200 videocard. When i put it to an Asus P4P800 motherboard, I can change the resolution and the refresh rate at boot. It's working...

BUT! when I put this videocard to my Abit IC7 motherboard, my system reboots after setting the refresh rate :P

Same videocard, same OSX install, different motherboard :)

I've looked through some Darwin documentation, but everything is for Xfree86.... nothing for aqua..

Back in the old Windows 95 (whew, it's been just 10 years this month!) and Win 98 days lots of graphics adapters came with a small dos utility to change the refresh rate. This usually worked also in Windows. Maybe some skilled person could examine the XFree 2D drivers and come with a small utility to change the refresh rate, at least for Radeon and GeForce adapters. It shouldn't be too terribly hard. 60 Hz is really giving me headaches, and to think that under Windows I can get to 180 Hz