USB devices not working

21 posts in this topic

I installed OS X on my Compaq laptop (2.4 GHz P4, 256 MB RAM) and it is working perfectly. I got my wireless card to work and I can even open alll of the PPC apps that I have tried so far. My only problem is that I cannot get my USB devices to work. In System Profiler, the USB ports are displayed (so the ports are detected) but nothing happens when I plug a device in, such as a USB Headset or a flash drive. They also do not appear in System Profiler. Is there a way that I can get these to work?

Posting your HW would help. I've had just the opposite experience - every USB device I've plugged in has worked - a 2gb Lexmark Jumpdrive, a no-name multi-function flash card reader (for reading smartcards out of my cameras), and a 160Gb USB Seagate drisk drive (to hold all my cool Mac OS X toys!). The most surprising was a seriously no-name ($15 eBay special) USB soundcard - this is about the size of the jumpdrive with a single audio connection. Works great with my AC97 onboard audio (that didn't work at all before).

Hope this helps...

I installed OS X on my Compaq laptop (2.4 GHz P4, 256 MB RAM) and it is working perfectly. I got my wireless card to work and I can even open alll of the PPC apps that I have tried so far. My only problem is that I cannot get my USB devices to work. In System Profiler, the USB ports are displayed (so the ports are detected) but nothing happens when I plug a device in, such as a USB Headset or a flash drive. They also do not appear in System Profiler. Is there a way that I can get these to work?

I think you have another problem, you need to apply SSE3->SSE2 patches so PPC apps can run, and maybe some other problems are related, search for Maxxuss' patches.

Then try you usb devices.

i have simmilar problem like you

the exactaly what you say "some devices appear on sysprof but didn't work"

so, your os freezes when you plug an ipod, psp, cameras, etc?

i tried to boot in acpi or x86pc but no success.

my usb chipset is via (i think) and i supose you too

oh, i forget to tell you if i got some success i send a mp for you

do the same, okay?

Why don't you post your Compaq model number, or better yet, the chipset details so others can find out what is working and what doesn't?

If your wireless is working, it must be Airport/Broadcom compatible, that much we can deduce.

The model number is 2597US. I don't know the exact chipset, but it is a Mobile P4 with a 533Mhz Bus. I have 256 MB DDR PC2100 RAM, AC'97 compatible sound, full specs here.

Hello,

I have a Compaq SR1010NX with an SSE2 2.8GHz Celeron which has non-functioning USB. The ports do not even show up in System Profiler. Is there any way to get it to recognize the USB Controllers? The controller model is part of the Intel 82801DB setup and the mainboard is an MSI 6577 rev.4

Other specifications:

2.8GHz Celeron *not D (SSE2 only)*

256MB PC2700 DDR333

2x 80GB HD (One for XP; One for OS X)

Intel 845 Integrated Graphics <-- I think [QE supported, not CI]

Realtek Ethernet: Functioning

AC97 Integrated Sound: Working with hack

Installed from Generic Install DVD -- was this install missing a USB controller kext?

-------------------------------------------

edit: my proposed solution (can anyone verify if this sounds right?)

THIS DOES NOT WORK. it still boots, but no recognition

USB Prober is reporting.....

0xc199f500 The IOUSBFamily was not able to enumerate a device

What does this mean?

I tried entering the dev/ven id too, and it didn't work. It just did the same thing, but USB controller was not recognized. Still looking for solutions...

I have an update on my problem. I decided to run a little experiment. I booted with "platform=X86PC" and my USB devices worked. Unfortunately, neither AirPort and the Battery status icon would work (which both worked perfectly with ACPI). I ran verbose mode (-v) using both X86PC and ACPI. With ACPI I saw the following messages:

IOPCCard Info: Intel PCIC Probe:

IOPCCard note: Bad Bridge mapping at 0x000a0000!

and

USB caused a wake event (EHCI)

With X86PC I received the following:

IOPCCard Info: Intel PCIC Probe: TI 1410 rev 02

Is there a way to combine the USB working under X86PC with the functionalities of ACPI?

*Your Mileage May Vary*

try this...

make a backup copy of AppleFPMemDriver.kext then trash the original. then restart.

just did it on my notebook... now all my USB devices are visible.

will do some more checking into this file to see what it's function is....

bottom line... one less issue for me. :)

Didn't work for me :(

Not only are my USB devices still not working after that, but now it doesn't even show the ports.

What are the ID's for your ports?(device, revision, vendor) Also what controller driver is being loaded?

What USB control options are available in your Bios?

I did the below and my USB Mouse is now working!!

Are there any updates on what this file actually does?

*Your Mileage May Vary*

try this...

make a backup copy of AppleFPMemDriver.kext then trash the original. then restart.

bottom line... one less issue for me. B)

• 4 months later...
*Your Mileage May Vary*

try this...

bottom line... one less issue for me. :(

I dont even have that file to start with, which version of osx are you using?

-Dre