Intel Wireless driver

jalavoui

3,992 posts in this topic

Thanks for answering. Good to see people care about this driver :P

When i started this drive i have found lots of code from people who have tried to make it work.

This release is meant to check some of the linux ported code. I'm using the IO80211Family.kext just to make the device to be detected as an airport card. The IO80211Family functions are to hard to use but i'll keep then to get feedback for now.

I'm currently using the 10.4.4 kernel. When i get Shemtex sources i'll change to 10.4.8

You can help by posting the logs like kinwah.lai did

- I'm uploading a new version that forces a local IP (it should be detected on system preferences).

or

If you want to build it from source:

- Install linux with the kernel source (i used mandriva 2006).

- Get the Ext2FS.pkg to allow access to the linux partition from mac os x86 (mount ro mode).

- get the Linux project sources (ieee80211, ipw2200-1.2.0 and the ipw-2.3 firmware).

- install the sources and ipw2200-1.2.0 on your root folder.

- The iwi2200.kext should build fine on xcode 2.4.1

- post new releases in this forum

Testing alpha versions might crash mac os x86 but it is for a good purpose :P

Thank you all

ieee80211_source.zip

iwi2200_source.zip

iwi2200_v2.kext.zip

Guest bikedude880

Just for a little friendly competition and as some motivation to the other developer, I have a kext that (hopefully) will load the firmware.

Please post a log of it (hopefully) loading and who's kext you used (bikedude880 or jalavoui). Thanks.

EDIT: File removed... see next post.

thanks bikedude880 , i will try it now

i got this error when i try to load the kext by bikedude880

darren-lais-computer:/Users/darrenlai root# kextload -t /System/Library/Extensions/iwi2200.kext

kextload: extension /System/Library/Extensions/iwi2200.kext appears to be valid

kextload: notice: extension /System/Library/Extensions/iwi2200.kext has debug properties set

kld(): Undefined symbols:

__ZN14darwin_iwi22009notifIntrEP9iwi_notif

kextload: kld_load_from_memory() failed for module /System/Library/Extensions/iwi2200.kext/Contents/MacOS/iwi2200

kextload: a link/load error occured for kernel extension /System/Library/Extensions/iwi2200.kext

load failed for extension /System/Library/Extensions/iwi2200.kext

(run kextload with -t for diagnostic output)

i will try to restart the machine now.

will update you guys later

Edited by kinwah.lai

I made a little mistake and left some debugging features on. This one has them disabled.

i've try to load this kext but still got the same error and i'm running on 10.4.8 ( 8.4.1 kernel )

darren-lais-computer:/Users/darrenlai root# kextload -t /System/Library/Extensions/iwi2200.kext

kextload: extension /System/Library/Extensions/iwi2200.kext appears to be valid

kextload: notice: extension /System/Library/Extensions/iwi2200.kext has debug properties set

kld(): Undefined symbols:

__ZN14darwin_iwi22009notifIntrEP9iwi_notif

kextload: kld_load_from_memory() failed for module /System/Library/Extensions/iwi2200.kext/Contents/MacOS/iwi2200

kextload: a link/load error occured for kernel extension /System/Library/Extensions/iwi2200.kext

load failed for extension /System/Library/Extensions/iwi2200.kext

(run kextload with -t for diagnostic output)

Edited by kinwah.lai

Guest bikedude880

I just don't understand why it keeps giving that error message... until I can get jalavoui's source to compile, I can't go any further.

dang dude, if you get that working man I'll straight up come back to OSX86.

I have a 2915ABG, I heard that the 2915, 2200, 3945 are all around the same chipsets so they shouldn't be too hard to get ported to work for all of them if you get the driver to initially work in the first place.

my advice to you, don't give up. I've seen too many people in the past give up and it's just really lame, there's so much sourcecode flying around from people who attempted it in the first place, so please do try and thank you for your efforts.

Edited by poplars

Guest bikedude880

Well, I wish I were able to compile these sources, but I keep getting an error... 47 to be exact.

errors.tiff

EDIT: Got past the errors, but I don't feel good about the way I did it.

This is my first atempt to port the linux driver to mac.

The requirements are a 10.4.4 kernel and the IO80211Family.kext version 1.1

Please help me going further

Thanks

I tried using the install guide, and I still do not see anything close to a wireless card on my system (I have an Intel 2200BG installed in a Dell Latitude D600), my system boots up fine though...... Any thoughts??

it is indeed a challenge, you have to rewrite the driver to the iokit or whatever, and it's a pain in the ass. I just hope this guy can actually do it.

i've installed 10.4.8 with semthex bet9 kernel and recompiled the iwi2200.kext

The IO80211Family.kext and framework from 10.4.8 are usefull and should be replaced

by the ones found in the 10.4.5 to 10.4.7 update.

I've removed the IOPCCardFamily.kext from 10.4.8 (it crashs all times at boot). Anyone as it working on 10.4.8?

v2 of iwi2200.kext starts with a 168.254.xxx.xxx IP. it can be changed to 192.168.xxx.xxx or

other. I don't have 2 wireless machines, but i'd like to know if it can work in a closed network...

to use it on 10.4.8 remove the IOPCCardFamily reference from info.plist and recompile iwi2200.kext

I read bikedude880 posts and i can use all the help i can get on this. I'm using an old firmware. i'd like to use the latest

but i have no idea on how to split it (it is included in just one file) or to load it as in the linux code.

Anyone with new ideas, please post new versions of the iwi2200.kext on this thread for being tested.

The intel linux 3945 BG should be easy portable since it's an intel card. I would like to see a build for this one at this thread

New versions should be set to work with the 10.4.8 kernel. i'll submit then soon

1000 cheers for jalavoui!!!!!! You're the savior of all laptop hackintoshes!!!!

cant wait for ur v2 to be released..... oh, please also do include instructions on how to install, or what dependencies are required.... ;)

cheers!!!!