Easy Update to 10.4.8

Steve's Job

166 posts in this topic

Hmm, it didn't go so smoothly for me :\

I updated from JaS' 10.4.7 (with the default kernel), and it just keeps giving me the reboot splash.

I installed it with the standard kernel and Intel GA900 (I think it was) support.

Any pointers?

Edit: Alright, verbose mode says "Debugger called: <panic>", so I'll just go through this thread.

Edit 2: Sweet, after re-inserting my old graphics card and doing -legacy, it works :(

Edit 3: Alas! No higher than 1024x768 :hysterical: (And windows seem to lose their content when I drag them?)

Edited by MenZa

Unfortunately I didn't move the kext extnsions (IOPCCardFamily and others) as mentioned in your guide.

The system get kernel panic about some apple ethernet and I tried everyting from booting with -s -v -f and legacy, but nothing , the problem is that I can't have the single user command access for trying to move the extensions manually..any help??

Please please help me I got back my ackintosh!!

Thanks thanks.

YES-yes-YES!!

got it works!!

I use MacDrive beta under Vista, moved away(on the Desktop..) IOPPCCardFamily, and now I'm taping from my new 10.4.8 hackintosh, the only thing is doesn't work, I'm testing right now, is the sounf I mean the soundspeakers of the laptop.

then Thanks eG, really,very very good jod wit your installer------> IT ROCKS! :whistle::thumbsup_anim::D :D

EDIT: my boot loader is changed, I mean it give the options between the partition7system on the drive ,there's a way to get it back just to start immediately the dfault partition in gui mode??

thanks again.

Edited by favalessa

Wierd problems here!

snip

No panic etc. System boots but display is not viewable: black screen with crazy blue shapes that could be folders / icons. Worked blind and click/dragged a selection on the desktop where i remebered I had some folders and called up quicksilver to get to another drive, and did a random paste - do remember that I could not see jack of what i was doing. Went into XP to check and the folders had actually been copied over!

So the install works, the display is blown!

Was updating a previous working installed with other progs on it. Am going to format the partition and try on a clean install of 10.4.6.

Should I also select the GMA950 support or somethig

--snip----

Hey I just had exactly the same issue,

System: Intel 915d GEVL with an sse3-celeron d 346

Working 10.4.6 hotiso install, upgraded to jas 10.4.7, then used this 10.4.8 patch,

Selected intel gma900 and nothing else for the upgrade, comp rebooted once fine, on the second boot the screen was covered in crazy blue shapes, I followed the forum posts here earlier and booted with -x to get into safe mode, removed the /system/library/extensions/applegma915* then rebooted, was in a lower res, but still have qe/ci support and was able to change back to 1280x768 in system prefs.

uname -a shows :

Darwin Onehax.local 881 Darwin Kernel Version 8.8.1: Mon Nov 27 18:58:11 AZ0T 2006; semthex:/nebukandnezor/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_I386 i386 i386

Most everything seems to be working, I have lost internet, 2 new ethernet cards have shown up as en1 and en2 but i only have the one onboard and I cannot get an address. Audio in does not work, but audio out is fine. VLC refuses to play a divx saying it cannot find a conversion filter, but the same divx clip works in quicktime so thats probably just a reinstall.

Anyone know a quick way to get the internet connection back?

thanks to everyone who's gotten it this far, you guys are all amazing.

Well when they say go down, they mean go down in flames.

After installing the 10.4.8 updates and having the screen issue, i thought it might be a good idea to install goodtime's gma900 driver ( I have no idea why i did this.. qe/ci was working..)

Well that failed miserably, with kernel errors on the next reboot.. so I put the JAS 10.4.8 dvd in and tried to ressurect the installation, that too failed.. it got all the way to the end, and gave me an install failed message.

Now it really wouldn't boot at all.. I figure, no problem, i'll just get the files I need off the drive and put 10.4.6 on then re-upgrade.. no.

So I tried to install 10.4.6 overtop of that boned upgrade, it seems thats not a great idea.. it made the boot all the way through, starts up and cannot find the root partition, its failing looking for /etc/.passwd.

a reboot and all I get is a grey screen with a large image of a stop button on it saying ' you must restart '

So obviously the files should still be there right ? .. not so much...

transmac, hfs explorer nor mediafours application can see the hfs+ drive, its the 2nd parttion on my first sata drive.. Windows disk manager shows it as an unknown partition of 100% usage (of course) - Gparted sees the drive, sees that its HFS+ formatted, but thats about it.

I'm runnin out of ideas.. someone else out there wanna take a crack at this?

Not working for me :)

I installed the combo on top of my 10.4.5, force quitted, and installed egwan's patch with the default kernel, deleted the IOPCCardFamily.kext since this is a laptop and rebooted

First reboot, got stuck at IOAPIC Version 0x20 Vectors 64:07 so i booted with cpus=1 and went a bit further but it said it was waiting for something soon and finally rebooted, again i try the same and seems to load, just istead of loginwindow i get a blackscreen.

I tried the -legacy and ./restorevga and nothing.

Any ideas?

Just another success story, woohoo! Started with 10.4.6 jas, followed the instructions in this guide, and voila. I got a scare my first time because I forgot to delete the IOPCcardfamily.ktext file, and kept getting kernel panics. My 2nd time through I included that little detail, and it worked perfectly. This is working on:

Acer Aspire 5630-6040 (laptop)

Core 2 Duo

nVidia GeForce Go (not working 100%, but 3D accelerated screensavers like Flurry work)

Realtek HD Audio (couldn't find the exact model number, but this guide worked for me)

Intel 3945ABG wireless (apparently unsupported as of now. oh well.)

no succes.

I keep getting the 'you have to reboot screen'.

@Bender1012: why do you have to delete IOPCcardfamily.ktext?

Are there other things you have to delete to?

EDIT: it works when i enter -legacy

What does that -legacy exactly do, cause on the normal way i cant get in...

Edited by buffalobitch

Working right now :rolleyes: (was the ati driver...installed the mobility one and works like a charm), btw there's any way to enable dual core support?..Now to fix the sound! (made noise for 15 secs and then went mute O.o) and wait for a Broadcom or a Intel 3945ABG driver

Working right now :thumbsup_anim: (was the ati driver...installed the mobility one and works like a charm), btw there's any way to enable dual core support?..Now to fix the sound! (made noise for 15 secs and then went mute O.o) and wait for a Broadcom or a Intel 3945ABG driver

Seems like a 50/50 shot, which is the best way to do, this way (guide) (downloaded the 35 MB file) or the JaS DVD way? I just spent three days downloading it via torrent.

Advice appreciated!

Hmmm...... no luck with me ;) ... doesn't success with the Apple Combo...... After installing - reboting..... until the Grey screen with Apple logo..... rebooting..... until the Grey Screen with apple logo... rebooting.....

upsss.... forgot to do some of it.............. *Alamakkkkkk* see the this thread number #63

Thanks

Upgrade from 10.4.6.....

Edited by Neo-Keledai

Mark one up for the success column.

Installed 10.4.6 goatsecx

Downloaded egwan patch. Read readme.

Downloaded 10.4.8 combo update from Apple. Ran it.

Forcequit (no reboot) Apple update installer.

Ran egwan.

-Selected Titan for my NV 7900GS Go.

-Didn't select Kernel (default semthex installed)

Double Reboot. (first one looks like diskarb is having a party on my hard drive)

Boots fine, boots at full res(!) with QE and CI.

Grabbed IONetworkingFamily.kext from this thread.

Up and running

Specs:

Dell Inspiron e1705

Nvidia 7900GS Go 256MB, glossy screen at 1920x1200

60GB SATA HDD.

Working:

Broadcom Ethernet

NV 7900GS Go

"Core Solo at 1.66GHz"

Not working (*haven't tried):

Audio*

SD card*

Dual Core

Intel 3945 Wireless

DVDRW* (that's tonight's venture - toast 8 titanium)

Edited by mwarps

Mark one up for the success column.

Installed 10.4.6 goatsecx

Downloaded egwan patch. Read readme.

Downloaded 10.4.8 combo update from Apple. Ran it.

Forcequit (no reboot) Apple update installer.

Ran egwan.

-Selected Titan for my NV 7900GS Go.

-Didn't select Kernel (default semthex installed)

Double Reboot. (first one looks like diskarb is having a party on my hard drive)

Boots fine, boots at full res(!) with QE and CI.

Grabbed IONetworkingFamily.kext from this thread.

Up and running

Specs:

Dell Inspiron e1705

Nvidia 7900GS Go 256MB, glossy screen at 1920x1200

60GB SATA HDD.

Working:

Broadcom Ethernet

NV 7900GS Go

"Core Solo at 1.66GHz"

Not working (*haven't tried):

Audio*

SD card*

Dual Core

Intel 3945 Wireless

DVDRW* (that's tonight's venture - toast 8 titanium)

I know this might be beating a dead horse but I am leary about updating but need to for newest photoshop.

Anyway, I have the JaS Devient Patch SSE3 DVD as well as the eGWan patch, so, would those that had NO PROBLEMS mind posting there specs?

I have a SSE3 chip (Pentium D930, Intel GMA 950 GPU, Motherboard is D945GTP D945PLM.

I think the patch eGWan should work, just not sure what to select and what not to select and of those that had problems did any have similar specs to mine?

I would really appreciate this. Can't wait to get a MacBook or iMAC soon!

Thanks again!

Hiii

ANy idea abt kernel compilation., please pm me :)

gokul.

:)

Hmmmh.. one request after another :). And very surprise this link is still alive ... Presented herein:

[Moderator Edit - URL removed as this may represent a DMCA violation.]

EDIT:

I believe it is wiser if moderators could just replace above statement with "DMCA violation", to cast-off confusion.

[instead of sneaking into someone's sig and changed something there. it's still private, isn't it?]

EDIT2:

I like the new administration feature. Instead of manually modify someone's sig (which is private), it just hide the problematic sig on certain post only. good job!

Staff Edit - we don't sneak in, but the pressures placed upon us by the legal people often require action first, explanations later. In this case a review by the staff was considered appropriate. There is enough information left in this thread for you to find the patch by using search engines

This patch contains:

New 8.8.1 kernels (4 flavors), NVidia drivers and related, Audio ALC882, Intel GMA 900/950, Older ATi cards support, etc.

System Requirements:

1. Any Intel processor with SSE3 command [P4 Presscot and above]

2. A working OSx86 10.4.4 or above

Your(self) Requirements:

1. You must be lazy for reading a lot of threads and how-to's upgrading to 10.4.8 in this very forum

2. You must know how to "force quit" application

3. Read the "Read Me" and "Instruction" provided in the installer

4. Willing to be mature and responsible to what you're doing including its consequences!! Therefore, please don't blame us, your brothers/sisters, moms/dads or even your dogs in case of messing up. Sky is not fallen onto your head, btw.

Generally, we don't provide any supports for installation or troubleshooting. However, if you asked politely and willing to wait for some times, usually we will provide assistance.

It is very helpful if you put your "System Specifications" (as complete as possible) and "History of Change" (what you have ticked, previous manual patch application, etc.).

(A screen shot may or may not be necessary)

Download these:

1. Apple 10.4.8 Combo Update from Apple website

2. Egwan Patch Installer from this website

Manual Backup Notice:

We did not provide all required extensions and workarounds in this installer as it may take larger file size and we are not that compulsive hacking the Mac. Therefore, take a look to what we have provided then if you don't find what you did previously, CREATE BACKUPS. You don't have to master command line for doing backup, just a simple copy paste will do.

Do this BEFORE installing the 10.4.8 update!!

FAQ:

Do I have to enable NX and HPET in my system?

Nope, but it will be a great advantage if you did. Go to your BIOS configuration settings. Usually it is located in "Advanced -> CPU Configurations -> Execute Disable" (exact location will depend on your BIOS manufacturer)

If you're unsure whether you own NX / HPET processor AND have enabled it through BIOS or not, just pick Semthex kernel's (default).

Which kernel should I pick?

Hmmm.., difficult to answer. While I myself using DaemonES kernel (the less modified from Apple original), please use the following guidance:

- Mifki NO NX [if your cpu doesn't have NX/HPET feature]

- DaemonES or Mifki [if your cpu has NX/HPET and have been enabled through BIOS]

- or Semthex Kernel [it is the default install, which is not requiring NX]

Should I install all provided drivers/extensions?

No way... Don't be stupid to install something you don't need.

How do I know what I need to install?

Hahh?? :) [fainted]

I have kernel panic just after restart

try to boot with "-legacy"

or

boot with "-s", then type ". /restorevga"

I want my PCMCIA back

Replace "IO80211Family.kext", "IOPCCardFamily.kext", "IOPCIFamily.kext" or "AppleAPIC.kext" with 10.4.5 version

I am messing up my installation and now have to reinstall hackintosh, reinstall applications, reset configurations

Sky is not yet fallen onto your head.. Why should worry? It's part of the fun, isn't it?

I lost important data and days of work for a client too

What? You use hackintosh for work? Please buy Apple Mac if you use it for commercial purpose. You will be trouble free and it also helps the development further.

I don't understand what's this all about!

Hmm, either they're not for your case or please just buy Apple. Then sit back and relax..

Credits go to:

eGWan, Mifki, DaemonES, Semthex, Jas, Omni, Callisto, np_ , Bofor, TheMax3200, Taruga, DM_Webd, Borisbadenov, Rammjet, Keithpk, Paulicat and all Insanely'ers.

Mash is JaSon Swadley, from Springfield, Missouri.

Greetings from Indonesia!!

Hiii

ANy idea abt kernel compilation., please pm me :)

gokul.

:D

Me too, scared to death as I have a solid working 10.4.6 and hate it when I read that others had the same but then boom, crash, panic kernel.

but need to for newest photoshop.

As I said before I have the JaS Devient Patch SSE3 DVD as well as the eGWan patch, and HPET (Although no NX from far as what I see in bios) so am unsure as to the safest way to do this.....just wish those with NO PROBLEMS mind posting there specs as well as what kernel and did they use the latest APPLE download with this eGWAN patch, so many things, I have hosed it before and managed to get it back, but there is something unfamiliar with this as I remember when I updated to 10.4.6 from 10.4.5, I had to reinstall the OS all over again.....something I do NOW want to do and would be kicking myself knowing that I did this for a few programs that need 1048 (photoshop UB, Apereture and Firework UB).

I have a SSE3 chip (Pentium D930, Intel GMA 950 GPU, Motherboard is D945GTP D945PLM.

I think the patch eGWan should work, just not sure what to select and what not to select and of those that had problems did any have similar specs to mine?

I would really appreciate this.

Thanks again!

I need someone to say, its ok, its ok, here is what you do, dont worry! :rolleyes::D:whistle: : :tomato::rolleyes:

What am I to say?

It took more time to update my signature than to update my system :whistle:

I did it all step by step as recommended:

• delete IOPCCardFamily.kext
  • check having my LAN driver saved
  • install Apple's update
  • prevent reboot
  • install patch
  • reboot with -v (and sweat)
  • observe automatic 2nd reboot (and sweat more)
  • login...
  • and SMILE :D

This update now allowed me to install the drivers for my HDAudio. Shortly after next reboot my sound was working. At least my build-in speakers let hear some system sound. This makes hope. The plugs will be testet soon.

Sorry for my bad English. I'm not even able to express how happy I am in my own language :)

Many thanks to eGWan for your great work!

I think some of my friends are now interested in OS X86 too :P

What am I to say?

It took more time to update my signature than to update my system :whistle:

I did it all step by step as recommended:

• delete IOPCCardFamily.kext
  • check having my LAN driver saved
  • install Apple's update
  • prevent reboot
  • install patch
  • reboot with -v (and sweat)
  • observe automatic 2nd reboot (and sweat more)
  • login...
  • and SMILE :D

This update now allowed me to install the drivers for my HDAudio. Shortly after next reboot my sound was working. At least my build-in speakers let hear some system sound. This makes hope. The plugs will be testet soon.

Sorry for my bad English. I'm not even able to express how happy I am in my own language :)

Many thanks to eGWan for your great work!

I think some of my friends are now interested in OS X86 too :rolleyes:

With my system specs, do I need to save the LAN DRIVER kext?

I just want to be sure I don't hose the system and can still get online....would kick myself, but know that the newer update is a better update and some apps require at least 1047 and I am 1046.

I did a complete back up off all my kexts on to the main drive, although not sure how I would get to them if I got a panic...

my motherboard...

Intel D945GTP GMA 950 (I believe)

CPU Pentium D930 SSE3.

Intel specs via intel website

http://www.intel.com/cd/channel/reseller/a...ature/index.htm

Thanks, still sweating as I have yet to do this.

Appreciate any feedback!

:tomato:

Thanks

Me too, scared to death as I have a solid working 10.4.6 and hate it when I read that others had the same but then boom, crash, panic kernel.

but need to for newest photoshop.

As I said before I have the JaS Devient Patch SSE3 DVD as well as the eGWan patch, and HPET (Although no NX from far as what I see in bios) so am unsure as to the safest way to do this.....just wish those with NO PROBLEMS mind posting there specs as well as what kernel and did they use the latest APPLE download with this eGWAN patch, so many things, I have hosed it before and managed to get it back, but there is something unfamiliar with this as I remember when I updated to 10.4.6 from 10.4.5, I had to reinstall the OS all over again.....something I do NOW want to do and would be kicking myself knowing that I did this for a few programs that need 1048 (photoshop UB, Apereture and Firework UB).

I would really appreciate this.

Thanks again!

I need someone to say, its ok, its ok, here is what you do, dont worry! :):lol::whistle: : :tomato::rolleyes:

Still waiting for advice based on my specs....so, while bumping I will ask this...

What is NX? I have HPET enabled, not sure what it is and why its advatatious to have but what is NX?

When I say advice, I mean .II things, 1) Based on specs what kernel and drivers to use, assume the one that uses HPET and GMA950 and thats it and 2)Do I need to keep my LAN kext and who with the same or similar specs HAS NOT had success?

hi guys, sory for long silent, i gotta job to finish.

@retroz,

what you affraid off? this is a part of fun, isnt it?

if you feel meet the requirements, why you dont just apply it and you're done,

make sure you make a backup of your extensions folder before apply,

NX and HPET already explained at the front page of this thread,

just read it,

have fun,

hi guys, sory for long silent, i gotta job to finish.

@retroz,

what you affraid off? this is a part of fun, isnt it?

if you feel meet the requirements, why you dont just apply it and you're done,

make sure you make a backup of your extensions folder before apply,

NX and HPET already explained at the front page of this thread,

just read it,

have fun,

Well eGWan, I think I have the right computer, Intel Chipset, Intel D945GTP Motherboard, GMA950 on-board GPU, and SSE3 D 930, but I fall into the semi catigory of running semi-critical stuff on the HacknTosh, good looking resumes, some audio apps, even though I have another several PC's (non macs) while I wait (Lord willing), to get a MacBook in the next week or so, just not sure about going for this or waiting until I get a Mac Book.

Thanks.

If I'm correct, I think I would choose the GMA950 graphic driver and the kext that uses HPET although there are two choices for HPET enabled bios chipsets, what is the difference between the two choices?

Does this method work with AMD Athlon 64 4000+ ???

Thx

I think its intel only, someone correct me if I am wrong, I, on the other hand, quietly wait for someone to look at my specs, pat me on the back and say, don't worry, be happy, update will work fine and not HOSE your system.

If I wasn't using it with so many bookmarks and looking for a new job (pages (iLIFE), I would give it a whirl, otherwise, staying put until I get that pat on the back or that new awsome job. LOL.

hello guys, i just want to give information about combo update 10.4.9.

My Hackintos already 10.4.9, thank's to the great Mr.Egwan + his EgWan Patch, i manage to update with sooooo easy. here my destop viewer

Hackintos_10.jpg

every thing work well. don't have problem at all.

the step is so simple

1. backUp the extension folder on /sytem/library/extention (u can just copy folder or compress it)

2. install combo update 10.4.9 / update 10.4.9 (don't restart when finish, just force quit)

3. rolling the Egwan_Patch

4. restart komputer (will be twice restart)

5. welcome to the 10.4.9 club :censored2:

6. share u'r desktop in here.

Mr. Egwan rock's. with Egwan_Patch installing update Apple on Hackintos just like a snap. :P

Well glad to hear that ;)

Unfortunatelly you dont post what specs your laptop or desktop do you use,

From your desktop viewer looks like everything fine,

but sory i wont join your 1049 club cuz i already join the leo club :D

tia