Easy Update to 10.4.8

Steve's Job

166 posts in this topic

Yes, signature is private, in term of personal expression. We can compare it with clothes or even "normal" signature.

Signature: a distinctive mark, characteristic, or thing that identifies somebody

Private: personal, belonging to, restricted to, or intended for an individual

(Ref: Encarta Reference Library.. english is not my mother tounge)

I agree with you, but even clothes are subject to rules, in some places women wear nothing on top and something on bottom, but in other places they can not wear that way.

Another example, for someone the signature (the wrote one, like in contracts or credit cards) could be big enough that could not fit in a small place, so it need to be adapted in order to fit in that place.

BTW english is not my mother language too.

I agree with you, but even clothes are subject to rules, in some places women wear nothing on top and something on bottom, but in other places they can not wear that way.

Another example, for someone the signature (the wrote one, like in contracts or credit cards) could be big enough that could not fit in a small place, so it need to be adapted in order to fit in that place.

BTW english is not my mother language too.

Off course.. But nobody will directly put you a scarf or creating a smaller signature for you..

BTW. Is it you that remove the URL?? Hmmm, I don't think so... I thought someone else, which is not a girl :P (no offense)

where to download the patch? I just cannot find it

pm me you'll get it

Hi.,

is it possible to update from 10.4.3 or 10.4.6.. can any one help... Plz pm me..

Thanks in advance

gokul.

You cant upgrade to 1048 from 1043

you need a working install from 1044 or above

Hi there to all, and best wishes for the coming new year!

I have been stuck with a 10.4.8 update which has a 8.4.1 kernel. What is the easiest way to switch to 8.8.1 kernel without having to do a live update through the internet?

Are there any clear instructions for non-expert users? (use of Terminal is not a problem)

Thanx in advance

use 1048 delta update, then apply 1048 combo patch

it's simple just double click the package then choose customize,

you can pm me if you want the combo patch file

I am new to the osx86 scene ( just started modifying my Dell e1405 the day after Xmas) and have to agree that this is an easy way to get to 10.4.8. I had tried a few of the other options and all ended up with the blank screen after reboot. Only issue I had was with my Broadcom 440x internet. But I got that working with the fix for the IONetworkingfamily.kext that can be found on here from 10.4.3.

Great Job!!!!

Now am waiting for my Truemobile 1490 wireless card so I can have a usable laptop again, of course minus sound for now. But am sure that will be fixed or I'll break down for a USB sound card.

Thanks, Glad to hear it works for you

hello eGWan

it would be great if you could help me, because i'm kind of screwed right now.

this is what i did:

i was running 10.4.5 (patched myzar install dvd w/ patched audio) and i wanted to update to 10.4.8. i downloaded your patch and the apple combo update. i followed the readme, force quit the installer and then ran the patch. i checkmarked the gma950 and the three sata packages at the bottom (because i have sata drives, i thaught it wouldn't hurt to install these) and it installed and restarted twice.

however, the second time, i get no logon screen but a blue screen instead and nothing happens. while the blue screen appears, the benq display (1650x1050) says "nonpreset mode". i tried other displays - no success. it just hangs at the blue screen lacking the logon window.

so i hit -s and then ./resetvga but no success.

do you have any idea what i could do to get the system running again? or do i have to reinstall the whole thing? is there a way where nothing (my pictures/music) gets lost?

i once edited the boot.plist to a different resolution, but i don't think that has something to do with it.

thanks,

simon

hello eGWan

it would be great if you could help me, because i'm kind of screwed right now.

this is what i did:

i was running 10.4.5 (patched myzar install dvd w/ patched audio) and i wanted to update to 10.4.8. i downloaded your patch and the apple combo update. i followed the readme, force quit the installer and then ran the patch. i checkmarked the gma950 and the three sata packages at the bottom (because i have sata drives, i thaught it wouldn't hurt to install these) and it installed and restarted twice.

however, the second time, i get no logon screen but a blue screen instead and nothing happens. while the blue screen appears, the benq display (1650x1050) says "nonpreset mode". i tried other displays - no success. it just hangs at the blue screen lacking the logon window.

so i hit -s and then ./resetvga but no success.

do you have any idea what i could do to get the system running again? or do i have to reinstall the whole thing? is there a way where nothing (my pictures/music) gets lost?

i once edited the boot.plist to a different resolution, but i don't think that has something to do with it.

thanks,

simon

hi simon,

just for info, this thread starter, steve's job, has same motherboard as you.

your onboard devices should work all out of the box included 5.1 sound with in/output supported [alc 882]

you dont need to checkmark 3 sata drivers becouse you dont need it.

Your sata drive doesnt need any optional driver

all you need to checkmark are ALC882 & GMA950

if you have set enable execute disable function in BIOS, you can taste 4 kernel flavor

Advanced Menu -> CPU Configurations -> Execute Disable Function

okay, back to topic

have you try boot with safe mode [-x]

then try to remove any AppleIntel915* inside /System/Library/Extensions

if it failed to boot with safe mode,

you can try to boot w/ single user mode [-s]

at root console, type

mount -uw /

cd /System/Library/Extensions

rm -R AppleIntel915*

. /restorevga [for shorcut to clear driver & vga caches]

dont worry,

you wont loose any data even you have kernel panic

if it's dualbooting w/ windows already,

you can copy them from windows with Macdrive or Transmac

your data path usually in /Users/your_username/

or you can boot with single user mode then copy them to usbflash disk

other option is boot to dvd then run terminal copy them to fat32 or other hfs partition

mount -a

cd /Volumes/your_mac_partition_label [remember it's case sensitive]*

cd Users/your_username

cp -R * /Volumes/your_destination_partition or flasdisk

*to check all mounted volume label,

cd /Volumes

ls

anyway,

can you try to boot with verbose mode [-v] and see what the thing can couse this and post back here

Hello, 1st of all i want to thank all of you for your nice work with osx86 project

I've recently bought LG F1 laptop and succeded to install Jas 10.4.6 mac osx with 8.4.1 darwin kernel and it worked really nice except that i couldn't install audio driver cause it's written for 8.8.1 kernel.

So i followed your instructions, downloaded combo update from apple, didn't restart, installed the patch with Mifki non nx kernel, battery for mobile and intel gma950 driver

But after reboot i get "You need to restart your computer" message and in safe mode it's the same, in -s mode i get the following:

DSC00746.JPG

I'm a newbie in these things, maybe someone could point me in the right direction, what i did wrong?

PC configuration:

Intel® Core 2™Duo Processor T5500 (1.66GHz) 667MHz FSB ,2Mb cache DDR2 512

Intel ® GMA950 up to 256MB

80GB SATA, 5400 RPM

24bit High Definition ALC883

Super Multi Dual Layer

Edited by gr8

hi simon,

just for info, this thread starter, steve's job, has same motherboard as you.

your onboard devices should work all out of the box included 5.1 sound with in/output supported [alc 882]

you dont need to checkmark 3 sata drivers becouse you dont need it.

Your sata drive doesnt need any optional driver

all you need to checkmark are ALC882 & GMA950

if you have set enable execute disable function in BIOS, you can taste 4 kernel flavor

okay, back to topic

have you try boot with safe mode [-x]

then try to remove any AppleIntel915* inside /System/Library/Extensions

if it failed to boot with safe mode,

you can try to boot w/ single user mode [-s]

at root console, type

mount -uw /

cd /System/Library/Extensions

rm -R AppleIntel915*

. /restorevga [for shorcut to clear driver & vga caches]

dont worry,

you wont loose any data even you have kernel panic

if it's dualbooting w/ windows already,

you can copy them from windows with Macdrive or Transmac

your data path usually in /Users/your_username/

or you can boot with single user mode then copy them to usbflash disk

other option is boot to dvd then run terminal copy them to fat32 or other hfs partition

mount -a

cd Users/your_username

cp -R * /Volumes/your_destination_partition or flasdisk

cd /Volumes

ls

anyway,

can you try to boot with verbose mode [-v] and see what the thing can couse this and post back here

thanks egwan,

however, i couldn't fix it, so i just bought a new harddrive to install osx again.

best,

simon

Hello, 1st of all i want to thank all of you for your nice work with osx86 project

I've recently bought LG F1 laptop and succeded to install Jas 10.4.6 mac osx with 8.4.1 darwin kernel and it worked really nice except that i couldn't install audio driver cause it's written for 8.8.1 kernel.

So i followed your instructions, downloaded combo update from apple, didn't restart, installed the patch with Mifki non nx kernel, battery for mobile and intel gma950 driver

But after reboot i get "You need to restart your computer" message and in safe mode it's the same, in -s mode i get the following:

-- pic shown above --

I'm a newbie in these things, maybe someone could point me in the right direction, what i did wrong?

PC configuration:

Intel® Core 2™Duo Processor T5500 (1.66GHz) 667MHz FSB ,2Mb cache DDR2 512

Intel ® GMA950 up to 256MB

80GB SATA, 5400 RPM

24bit High Definition ALC883

Super Multi Dual Layer

no you didnt do anything wrong,

you're on the right direction,

i can see from the pic that you have 8.8.1 kernel issue with your pcmcia driver

IOPCCardFamily.kext dependent with AppleACPIPlatform.kext,

perhaps that's why it gets kernel panic rather than fail to load IOPCCardFamily.kext driver

Try to move IOPCCardFamily.kext from /System/Library/Extensions folder to /backups in your root partition.

You dont have to create backups folder becouse it already created at preinstall script

You can move it from Windows with Macdrive or

boot from dvd

after a welcome screen

click 'Utility' menu then choose terminal

then type

mount -a

cd System/Library/Extensions

mv IOPCCardFamily.kext /Volumes/your_mac_partition_label/backups

cd /Volumes

ls

Hi,

I have been using JaS' 10.4.8 version with the old kernel (8.4.1) for a long time. But because of a new video card that I bought that uses NATIT I decided to upgrade to the new kernel.

I used eGwan's patch for the upgrade but I got a kernel panic!... :-(

I'm attaching a picture wih the kernel panic screen... does anyone know of a way to get out from there without reinstalling everything from scratch (I've spent months configuring my system...)

Thanks!!!

My configuration is:

asus p5ld2-vm

pentium d 805

video card: eax1600pro (ATI Radeon X1600 pro)panic.jpg

Hi,

I have been using JaS' 10.4.8 version with the old kernel (8.4.1) for a long time. But because of a new video card that I bought that uses NATIT I decided to upgrade to the new kernel.

I used eGwan's patch for the upgrade but I got a kernel panic!... :-(

I'm attaching a picture wih the kernel panic screen... does anyone know of a way to get out from there without reinstalling everything from scratch (I've spent months configuring my system...)

Thanks!!!

My configuration is:

asus p5ld2-vm

pentium d 805

video card: eax1600pro (ATI Radeon X1600 pro)

unfortunatelly you dont tell more specific what you did,

if i assumted you're on the right direction and didnt tweak any kext before restart

try boot with -legacy or reapply my patch with different kernel,

set your bios to enable NX

then boot from your install dvd,

open terminal, then type

/Applications/Utilities/Installer.app/Contents/MacOS/Installer

The installer will ask you to open the package

then browse to my metapackage file path

choose DaemonES or Mifki

Edited by eGWan

I think I've read everithing in this topic but i don't understand what I need.

I got a fully working jas 10.4.7 machine, so i must decide for using the combo update that you offer or before the delta update and then , only after , using the combo update..i'm worring about gettting a nouse machine so...

thanks for replies..very appreciated!! :):rolleyes:

Appreciate any help that I can get regarding my problem. I have 10.4.8 thanks to Jas' combo update but I still have the old kernel and would like to update it to the 10.4.8 kernel. Does anyone know how to do it? (been reading this thread and im lost). thanks :(

Appreciate any help that I can get regarding my problem. I have 10.4.8 thanks to Jas' combo update but I still have the old kernel and would like to update it to the 10.4.8 kernel. Does anyone know how to do it? (been reading this thread and im lost). thanks ;)

So you have Pentium M? I think, its still SSE2, am I correct? .. This installer is for SSE3 only .. Sorry .. Wait for some times.

I have excatly the same problem as gr8. Something is wrong with IOPCCardFamily.kext. If deleted my system boots fine. But dont have sound,wireless(broadcom 4318). My computer is almost the same as gr8, except CPU which is M430 celeron with SSE3. Sound and GMA are the same.

Does your sound works gr8?

..maybe I have attached few info about my problem, I got a Acer 5612wlmi and an intel 1,73 core duo full supported,(sse3), so I must decide wich way is shorter or better to update my 10.4.7 system to a 10.4.8 system with a 8.8.1 kernel...thanks in advance.

P.S. apologise for my bad english!!I usually use too much good red wine :P

I have excatly the same problem as gr8. Something is wrong with IOPCCardFamily.kext. If deleted my system boots fine. But dont have sound,wireless(broadcom 4318). My computer is almost the same as gr8, except CPU which is M430 celeron with SSE3. Sound and GMA are the same.

Does your sound works gr8?

for alc883 this link perhaps can help you,

Azalia and Applehda Solution : http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=36520

Thanks. I found that link before. It works with 10.4.8 but sound is cracking. With 10.4.6 is ok, but no mic input. Also suspend to ram restarts computer. The main issue is that my broadcom wlan doesnt work. I removed kext cache and changed permissions with diskutil several times but it doesnt work. I also tryed manualy but its the same. Maybe wlan card needs that file, but i always get a kernel panic with that file. It is really annoying to reboot to xp/linux so many times. I tried all kernels. Also broadcom b44 doesnt work.

as i mentioned above IOPCCardFamily.kext for pcmcia card,

i think you will need a patch version of ionetworking.kext or/with some related stuff,

for cracking sound have you try downgrade kernel to semnthex k19,

pm me if you want to try

Everything works now. I updated again and before reboot deleted IOPCCardFamily.kex. System did normaly reboot twice. For sound cracking i changed kernel. Didnt use driver from your package, as i have acl883. It works great only with first-DaemonES kernel, and only with that kernel laptop resumes from sleep. As for AirportExtreme... my mistake. sorry. I tought that my card was listed in driver like before, but only mine wasnt listed.(4318) :censored2:

Even sound shortcuts works (FN+F6=Mute, FN+up,down arrow with OSD) and FN+F4=sleep works. Battery monitor also works great. GMA950 now shows right amount of memory and is fully accelerated. Movies go smoother than in mplayer in gentoo. And build-in microfon works.

And all that in two days. :D

Can I automaticly update packages like QuickTime,Java,iTunes? Now it wants to update 6 packages. Airport drivers are listed. Are these drivers that i use now with these kernels modified or are original? Is there something like midnight commander in osx? I really miss that app.

If only synaptics could scroll...

Thank you very much for this nice installer.

Macer Travelmate ^_^