Want to buy a OSX-compatible Graphic Card

XQYZ

9 posts in this topic

Hi out there,

At the moment i'm running OS X 10.4.8 (tubegirl's AMD Version on pirate bay) and it really runs good. The only thing is that my Graphic Card (NVidia GeForce 4 MX 440) is not supported by Apple Drivers (Natit and Titan). I runs with MacVidia, but only at 1024x786x16, 32 Bit makes my screen become green, and highter resultution will result in an ugly and even more slow desktop.

To solve this i decided to by a new one, so the only thing left is "Which card should I buy?"

Ok, my Hardware:

AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3200+ (with SSE3)

786 RAM

1x IDE Harddrive (120GB)

2x IDE DVD-Drives (one of them is a dvd-burner)

GeForce 4 MX 440

PCI Ethernet (at first bought to get networking on OS X working, but now on 10.4.8 my onBoard works, too)

edit: My Motherboard is an nForce 3 or 4 (not sure) one.

Is there a (cheap < 100€/$) Graphic Card that can run on theses specs? I'm not a gamer (sometimes Supertux or GTA: VC (under Windows)), but i want QE, CI and OpenGL working.

Thanks.

Edited by WordsBG

I have a GeForce FX 5500. It's not a bad card and has DirectX 9 and OpenGL. It will work with some patches and the 8.8.1/10.4.8 release DVD. This is the best card for just PCI

I think the Radeon X1600 is a great card, full support with some patches. If you have PCI-Express

Make sure you have PCI-Express for the latter, as I bought it and had PCI so I returned it to get a Joystick, an ipod, and a geforce card.

Guest bikedude880
nvidia 7300 or 7600 would be good, all depends on how much you want to spend. the mac pros actually come with 7300s and they're great for everything except high end gaming.

Speaking of the 7300, I'm runing a PNY 7300 GS (256MB) perfectly in my system. I can run Doom3 at medium settings and Halo at full ^_^

• 11 months later...
nvidia 6600gt works great here, you can get pci-e and agp versions really cheap on ebay. Full graphics support, dvi/vga and dual monitor if you need it!

howdid you get your dual monitor to work . i have a dvi out and a VGA. if i connect both, vga outputs preferentially and exclusively - it doesnt detect the dvi monitor when i hit detect.

using 10.5.0 and 10.5.1

heshan

7300GT by Leadtek working great for me. I do video-editing and dtp .. .only game I play is WoW but with a resolution of 1680x1050 with all the detail on max and a constant framerate between 40-60.

And the best thing: this card works out of the box with QE+CI enabled.

• 4 years later...