[Pre-Release] macOS Sonoma 14.5

132 posts in this topic

@MorenoAv I would like you to understand that it is not the official OC that breaks Windows but the DSDT

( if this were the case we should all use OC Mod )

If you have ways to build the official OC and disable the DSDT as mentioned above you will see that Windows boot without problems

( maybe something like this is missing !?
"If (_OSI("Darwin")) ... "
but my skills are not enough for this )

As for the Wi-Fi, I honestly didn't quite understand where the problem was...probably as identified by deeveedee's long eye on an old ioskywalk. kext...

However, it is important that you solved it

• Like 3

Well in my limited understanding of OC I don't know what breaks the windows, but I'll ask, if it is the DSDT that breaks the windows why with OC MOD the same DSDT don't break the windows, because of the no ACPI? 

Me too I don't know why that has happened bit when I have time I'll find it, comparing the others EFi with this one until I find the culprit...

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, MorenoAv said:

Well in my limited understanding of OC I don't know what breaks the windows, but I'll ask, if it is the DSDT that breaks the windows why with OC MOD the same DSDT don't break the windows, because of the no ACPI? 

Me too I don't know why that has happened bit when I have time I'll find it, comparing the others EFi with this one until I find the culprit...

I found this EFI Folder here - https://github.com/alienator88/ASUS-TUF-Z390M-Pro-Gaming-Hackintosh-OpenCore - on GitHub.

I think the specs are not far off your own although I suspect the files and OC within are slightly outdated.

Looking inside the ACPI Folder the owner is using SSDT files oppose to an all in one DSDT.

Maybe doing a comparison to your own will give an insight to what your problem is/was???

Also it may encourage you to forgo the DSDT File and use SSDT Files like the attached EFI instead which I think will offer more scope and control of your rig.

At the end of the day, whatever you choose to do good luck.

Cheers.

ASUS-TUF-Z390M-Pro-Gaming-Hackintosh-OpenCore-Ventura.zip

• Like 5

I've taken the liberty and updated the OC version and kext files within the attached EFI Folder.

To give you the choice to try it on a spare USB Drive.

You will have to furnish the config.plist with your machine data.

I noticed from the 'Read Me' within, the OP did not use OCLP but the other alternative for wifi but that is easily remedied.

ASUS-TUF-Z390M-Pro-Gaming-Hackintosh-Updated-OpenCore-Ventura.zip

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

@MaLd0n Another way that OC can break Windows is with ACPI patches that unconditionally change ACPI. I do the IRQ fixes with SSDTs instead of OC ACPI patches (e.g., I don't use config.plist > ACPI > Patch for IRQ fixes) so that I can condition them on _OSI("Darwin").  Why don't the ACPI patches like "TMR IRQ 0 Fix" affect Windows?  Just asking, because I don't know - not challenging your wisdom.  Thank you.

EDIT: Although, after I started disabling HPET, I no longer needed IRQ fixes.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)

@Slice So the only reason that the TMR, RTC and PIC IRQ ACPI patches don't affect Windows is because they are unnecessary?  As I mentioned, I stopped applying IRQ patches after I started disabling HPET (which Apple did, I think starting with Mac Models in 2018).

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, deeveedee said:

@Slice So the only reason that the TMR, RTC and PIC IRQ ACPI patches don't affect Windows is because they are unnecessary?  As I mentioned, I stopped applying IRQ patches after I started disabling HPET (which Apple did, I think starting with Mac Models in 2018).

I said nothing about RTC and PIC. They are not obsolete.

• Thanks 1

@Slice - @MaLd0n 's Proposed config.plist includes unconditional ACPI patches that change TMR, RTC and PIC IRQs. My question remains - if not obsolete, why don't these changes affect Windows? I'm asking because I don't know - not because I'm challenging anyone.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I don't know how Windows lives. Once I tested 3D graphics in Windows with two cases HPET switched on in BIOS and off. The results are different but Windows works in both cases.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

...just my 2 cents worth...I disabled HPET here in bios and was unable to boot to desktop, {do not enter sign over apple logo)... took a few restarts to correct, had to restart monterey from clover 5145, clear NVRAM, then reboot from clover 5157 to sonoma recovery, used disk utility on ssd, then finally reboot with clover 5157 to sonoma...this with smbios iMac 19,1

Edited by RobertX
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, RobertX said:

...just my 2 cents worth...I disabled HPET here in bios and was unable to boot to desktop,

I should have been clearer about "disable HPET."  Apple has been disabling HPET in ACPI since 2018 Mac models (including your iMac19,1).  I have never disabled HPET in BIOS and am not sure of the effects.  If you look at the EFI posted by MaLd0n, you'll see that his SSDT sets HPTE=0.  This causes HPET._STA = 0 for that particular ACPI.  Yours may be different.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

HPET is needed for AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext which is used up to IvyBridge CPU. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1