Different Serial Number and Processor Model shown in "About this Mac" and "About this Hack"

asapreta

17 posts in this topic

Hi all!

(sorry I couldn't find a specific forum for this question)

I just noticed this weird error in my hack after using Sonoma for a while.

In these two information windows below I have mixed information.

In the stock About this Mac window, the CPU model is wrong as I have a Core i5-9400F as listed on the About this Hack window.

And, accordingly to my config.plist and SMBIOS section in the OpenCore configurator, the correct serial is the one on the About this Mac window.
Where the hack the other on in the About this Hack came from?

Also if I change back the iMac model to the iMac Pro (2017), in the stock About this Mac, no processor model is shown, just its speed.

xUBl5V8.png

Can anyone please point me what can I do to fix this?

Thanks in advance,

• Like 1

@asapreta

Hi,

Generally Apple's About this Mac reads data from SMBIOS and its own database but About This Hack shows the exact CPU model provided in its source code that explains the differences in data shown in those apps.

About the Serial Number differences it's a bit weird so I guess you need to upload your config.plist for further examinations.

• Like 1

On 10/8/2023 at 2:12 PM, Cyberdevs said:

@asapreta

Hi,

Generally Apple's About this Mac reads data from SMBIOS and its own database but About This Hack shows the exact CPU model provided in its source code that explains the differences in data shown in those apps.

About the Serial Number differences it's a bit weird so I guess you need to upload your config.plist for further examinations.

Thank you for the explanation.

I just attached the config.plist.

Would you mind, please, checking it?

Thanks in advance.

config.plist_asapreta.zip

13 hours ago, Slice said:

Check please what SN you will see with other version of About This Hack

Hello Slice, I tried several times run your release of About your Hack but it won't open.

Despite allowing it in the System Settings I always get a message about the app quit unexpectedly.

POdQ1nc.png

I am using release 1.0.2

<<EDIT>>

Reading the topic, I was able to get the pre-compiled version of @matxpa .

This is the result:

2mqRvPC.png

The other About this Hack (I presume the "original") tries to update itself but fails, so may be something related to be an old version of the app.
Thanks for the tip.

Now the only mystery is the i9 processor show in the About this Mac.

Edited by asapreta
got newer app version.

11 hours ago, asapreta said:

Now the only mystery is the i9 processor show in the About this Mac.

Not a mystery. Change a value here

<key>ProcessorType</key>
            <integer>4105</integer>

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Slice said:

Not a mystery. Change a value here

<key>ProcessorType</key>
            <integer>4105</integer>

Thanks for taking your time to answer.

There are two instances of <key>ProcessorType</key> in my config.plist

And both are followed by <integer>4105</integer>

That is very strange for me.

17 hours ago, miliuco said:

@asapreta

Then try

<key>ProcessorType</key>
         <integer>0</integer>

The same thing happens to me since I use "revpatch=sbvmm" if I don't remove it in Alder Lake it only shows me about this mac  "3.5Ghz" 

It doesn't matter what you put in  <key>ProcessorType</key>  🤷‍♂️

40 minutes ago, FirstTimeCustomac said:

Remove revpatch=sbvmm flag and try the below configuration.

image.thumb.png.5ec2d087459d9b73e20b5748933e194f.png

Yes, of course, if I eliminate "revpatch=sbvmm" it already marks the name of the CPU correctly,

but that way I lose the updates, without that flag with iMacPro or MacPro smbios the updates do not appear.

And I am lazy to go around removing and putting it every time apple releases an update 😅

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PoMpIs said:

Yes, of course, if I eliminate "revpatch=sbvmm" it already marks the name of the CPU correctly,

but that way I lose the updates, without that flag with iMacPro or MacPro smbios the updates do not appear.

And I am lazy to go around removing and putting it every time apple releases an update 😅

Do you mean you lose the update even after adding sbvmm in nvram (4D1FD...102)?

In the config I showed, you basically remove the revpatch=sbvmm flag and add the function in nvram (4D1FD...102).

add revpatches "revpatch=sbvmm" and "revcpuname" in nvram as in one line, "revpatch |string| cpuname,sbvmm" and not separately like one revpatch in boot-arg and others in nvram(4D1FD..102) 

Also may need to do nvram reset if you don't have all the previous variables added in Delete section of NVRAM.

Edit: To manually specify the name of the CPU shown in About This Mac, you still need revcpu |number| 1

image.thumb.png.d2e7bfd546ef5ab54bf125d3bd00acd6.png

Edited by FirstTimeCustomac
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, FirstTimeCustomac said:

Do you mean you lose the update even after adding sbvmm in nvram (4D1FD...102)?

In the config I showed, you basically remove the revpatch=sbvmm flag and add the function in nvram (4D1FD...102).

add revpatches "revpatch=sbvmm" and "revcpu" in nvram as in one line, "revpatch |string| cpuname,sbvmm" and not separately like one revpatch in boot-arg and others in nvram(4D1FD..102) 

Also may need to do nvram reset if you don't have all the previous variables added in Delete section of NVRAM.

Well, I have tried just as you say...

Capturadepantalla2023-10-12alas22_28_33.png.85cf6bd20f4b24ab68e286f735393e90.png

I don't know if I will receive updates or not, when Apple releases the next Sonoma 14.1 update I will confirm if it still works.
But the processor name is not shown:

Capturadepantalla2023-10-12alas22_32_14.png.f2d16f1ed35229c4a6603d4fe78b59ad.png

I have reset the NVRAM and tried all these configurations:

<key>ProcessorType</key>
         <integer>0</integer>

<key>ProcessorType</key>
         <integer>1537</integer>

<key>ProcessorType</key>
         <integer>3841</integer>

However, it still only shows "3.5Ghz" on this mac 🤪

But it has done this since the last installation of sonoma since I first used sbvmm.. before that it showed it fine

Edited by PoMpIs
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, FirstTimeCustomac said:

Sorry, I edited my post but you beat me to it. You also need to add revcpu |Number| 1

Nothing, don't worry, I had it before and it didn't work either... I removed it later so that it coincided with your capture and this is still the same 😆

• Like 1

Well it has worked!!!

I have rebooted several times and each time I have reset the NVRAM and after 4 times it has worked with this configuration:

Capturadepantalla2023-10-12alas23_06_42.png.69756dcc421e8eb6229578649dcd55ba.png

and that:

<key>ProcessorType</key>
         <integer>3841</integer>

Result:

Capturadepantalla2023-10-12alas23_08_19.png.923bdb8037712f25e76654638098bce1.png

:hyper::hyper:

Now when they release the next update I'll see if it updates normally and it would be perfect..

Although I no longer use macOS as a daily system... it's nice to have it well adjusted 😄

Many thanks 🤗

• Like 2

23 hours ago, miliuco said:

@asapreta

Then try

<key>ProcessorType</key>
         <integer>0</integer>

This one did the trick!

Thank you very much!

14DUKti.png

• Like 1