macOS Sonoma Wireless Issues Discussion.

SavageAUS
791 posts in this topic

18 minutes ago, Max.1974 said:

Im thinking its close a little bit to get this works without OLCP Rooting. 

OCLP post-install patches install the Apple Wi-Fi framework for legacy Wi-Fi (the framework that was removed in Sonoma).  I will be very surprised if you have working legacy Wi-Fi without OCLP post-install patches.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, deeveedee said:

OCLP post-install patches install the Apple Wi-Fi framework for legacy Wi-Fi (the framework that was removed in Sonoma).  I will be very surprised if you have working legacy Wi-Fi without OCLP post-install patches.

My dear brother, im sure that will be the way to works this wireless. Recognize everything. But im not install ACLP.

New and fresh install 

Captura de Tela 2023-07-28 às 20.05.24.png

4 hours ago, deeveedee said:

I have Wi-Fi working with BCM 94352HMB. I'm not sure that this is all necessary, but here is what I did:

EDIT: I have not yet finished reviewing my solution, but early indications are that the key was replacing AirportBrcmFixup.kext.  I am using the attached kext and Wi-Fi is working perfectly with my BCM 94352HMB device.  This is the kext that is included with OCLP 0.6.9 07.28.23 nightly build.

• Replace AirportBrcmFixup.kext 2.1.7 in OC/Kexts with the AirportBrcmFixup.kext 2.1.7 in the OCLP-Generated EFI (they have the same version, but have different sizes)
      Reveal hidden contents

1580259427_Screenshot2023-07-28at7_05_16PM.png.de98ffadf5791e6c99459f7c85887e18.png

• config.plist should not have VMM kernel patches and should have revpatch=sbvmm (for RestrictEvents.kext 1.1.2)
  • AMFI should be disabled with amfi=0x80 and kernel patch
  • Implement ACPI patch (SSDT) to spoof device "pci14e4,4353" (not sure this is necessary - My SMBIOS is MBP6,2 and this is the actual device in a real MBP6,2) *** Deleted - Not necessary ***
  • Implement ACPI binary rename (config.plist) RP02.PXSX -> RP02.ARPT *** Deleted - Not necessary ***
  • Apply legacy wi-fi post-install patches with 0.6.9n 07.28.23 (use nightly build, not custom build.  No python mods necessary).  For some reason, the latest OCLP 0.6.9 nightly build was able to patch my hack.  Previous versions did not have any patches available.  I am not sure if this is a change in the OCLP build (I don't see any commits, so I don't think so) or because I spoofed Wi-Fi device.  Maybe the new AirportBrcmFixup.kext was necessary?  Maybe revpatch=sbvmm was necessary?

I am posting this with FireFox in Sonoma 14.0 Beta 4 on my Mac over BCM94352 Wi-Fi 😀

AirportBrcmFixup.kext.zip 18.37 kB · 2 downloads

Thanks for your help and this new kext which enable my BCM4352 working at Sonoma now !

Screenshot 2023-07-29 at 11.09.47 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-07-29 at 11.10.49 AM.png

• Like 4

8 hours ago, deeveedee said:

I have Wi-Fi working with BCM 94352HMB. I'm not sure that this is all necessary, but here is what I did:

EDIT: I have not yet finished reviewing my solution, but early indications are that the key was replacing AirportBrcmFixup.kext.  I am using the attached kext and Wi-Fi is working perfectly with my BCM 94352HMB device.  This is the kext that is included with OCLP 0.6.9 07.28.23 nightly build.

• Replace AirportBrcmFixup.kext 2.1.7 in OC/Kexts with the AirportBrcmFixup.kext 2.1.7 in the OCLP-Generated EFI (they have the same version, but have different sizes)
      Reveal hidden contents

1580259427_Screenshot2023-07-28at7_05_16PM.png.de98ffadf5791e6c99459f7c85887e18.png

• config.plist should not have VMM kernel patches and should have revpatch=sbvmm (for RestrictEvents.kext 1.1.2)
  • AMFI should be disabled with amfi=0x80 and kernel patch
  • Implement ACPI patch (SSDT) to spoof device "pci14e4,4353" (not sure this is necessary - My SMBIOS is MBP6,2 and this is the actual device in a real MBP6,2) *** Deleted - Not necessary ***
  • Implement ACPI binary rename (config.plist) RP02.PXSX -> RP02.ARPT *** Deleted - Not necessary ***
  • Apply legacy wi-fi post-install patches with 0.6.9n 07.28.23 (use nightly build, not custom build.  No python mods necessary).  For some reason, the latest OCLP 0.6.9 nightly build was able to patch my hack.  Previous versions did not have any patches available.  I am not sure if this is a change in the OCLP build (I don't see any commits, so I don't think so) or because I spoofed Wi-Fi device.  Maybe the new AirportBrcmFixup.kext was necessary?  Maybe revpatch=sbvmm was necessary?

I am posting this with FireFox in Sonoma 14.0 Beta 4 on my Mac over BCM94352 Wi-Fi 😀

AirportBrcmFixup.kext.zip 18.37 kB · 5 downloads

Greate work, thank you very much, but once we have AirportBrcmFixup.kext, do we still need IO80211FamilyLegacy.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortBrcmNIC.kext? can you show kext folder or config.plist please

• Like 1

If you are experiencing the same WiFi problem as me, where the connection to the WiFi router is working but you cannot seem to connect to the internet, there may be a solution. I discovered that the App "little snitch" was still running and blocking my internet access. (Thoug I uninstalled it) To resolve this issue, I had to go to Settings -> Network -> VPN&Filters -> Filters&Proxies and delete "little snitch". After doing so, I was able to go online immediately.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, kinhhoang161 said:

Greate work, thank you very much, but once we have AirportBrcmFixup.kext, do we still need IO80211FamilyLegacy.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortBrcmNIC.kext? can you show kext folder or config.plist please

See attached. Others have their own techniques, but for me, I find it easiest to generate an Open Core EFI with OCLP (use the option "Build and Install Open Core" and then I examine the resulting OCLP-Generated EFI.  That is how I discovered the change in AirportBrcmFixup.kext.

Spoiler

1566205525_ScreenShot2023-07-29at6_48_38AM.thumb.png.9cef7c27a9ab1fb1d1e74cb27424c821.png

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@kinhhoang161 You are watching my work in progress.  I may have done more than I needed to.  I only just discovered the working solution.  It is very possible that I did more than necessary, so I'm sure my solution will be refined.  Even if revpatch=sbvmm (with RestrictEvents.kext) is not needed, it is my preferred approach over the VMM kernel patches that I need for my hack (SMBIOS MBP6,2).  Your approach may be different.

EDIT: Also see this.  With my MBP6,2, I need VMM kernel patches to perform a clean macOS install (not an upgrade).  There are still some things about this legacy hacking that I'm learning, so I won't be surprised if some of my steps are unnecessary or overly complicated.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, deeveedee said:

@kinhhoang161 You are watching my work in progress.  I may have done more than I needed to.  I only just discovered the working solution.  It is very possible that I did more than necessary, so I'm sure my solution will be refined.  Even if revpatch=sbvmm (with RestrictEvents.kext) is not needed, it is my preferred approach over the VMM kernel patches that I need for my hack (SMBIOS MBP6,2).  Your approach may be different.

now i understood, thanks for your work and the explanation

• Like 2

EDIT: Leaving this post below for historical purposes, but the post below is incorrect.  See my revised conclusion here.

=========================================

It does appear that the key to working Sonoma Wi-Fi with the BCM 94352HMB was replacement of the Acidanthera AirportBrcmFixup.kext 2.1.7 with AirportBrcmFixup.kext 2.1.7 included with OCLP 0.6.9 (different kexts, same version).  See here.  I don't see any commits in the Acidanthera repo (yet).  I'd be curious to know the change if anyone knows.

EDIT: Maybe in the Dortania nightly builds?  I haven't checked yet. *** Nope - not yet.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, MacWill said:

Z590 Vision G. SMBIOS 20.2. All the recipe made, when applying the OCLP root patch came the message "Unsupported Host OS".

What is missing?

Follow my steps here.  I saw the same error at some point during my attempts.  I think it may be that sbvmm is required (with RestrictEvents.kext 1.1.2) or the new AirportBrcmFixup.kext is needed.  I haven't tested further to determine the exact cause of the error, but my posted steps resolved this for me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, deeveedee said:

See attached. Others have their own techniques, but for me, I find it easiest to generate an Open Core EFI with OCLP (use the option "Build and Install Open Core" and then I examine the resulting OCLP-Generated EFI.  That is how I discovered the change in AirportBrcmFixup.kext.

Reveal hidden contents

1566205525_ScreenShot2023-07-29at6_48_38AM.thumb.png.9cef7c27a9ab1fb1d1e74cb27424c821.png

Thanks for sharing my friend!!

It's possible you share config steps on OCLP that you did? 

Very helpful 

Edited by Max.1974

6 hours ago, Max.1974 said:

It's possible you share config steps on OCLP that you did? 

I have attached a sample config.plist here.  Just follow the steps I outline in the post and reference the attached sample config.plist.  Please understand that the config.plist is based on my work with my own hack (SMBIOS MBP6,2) and is specific to what I needed to do for BCM 94352HMB Wi-Fi, so there may be elements of my solution that do not apply to your own solution.  If you generate an OC EFI with OCLP 0.6.9 (Use OCLP's "Build and Install Open Core" and then choose "View Build Log" (thank you @cankiulascmnfye for the tip to "View Build Log" instead of "Install"), you will find the required Kexts.  Use OCLP 0.6.9 Nightly build to apply post-install patches after you boot with your new EFI.

EDIT: Note that before you can "Build and Install Open Core," you may need to set an SMBIOS Model "Target" if OCLP doesn't automatically detect one (OCLP never detects the SMBIOS model on my hack).   To set an SMBIOS Model Target, choose Settings in OCLP GUI 

Spoiler

1815785210_Screenshot2023-07-29at3_21_21PM.png.54ac91b5f740c3bf59bd2f7d43edaac1.png

and then select your Target SMBIOS model from the pull down menu.

Spoiler

789254242_Screenshot2023-07-29at3_21_36PM.png.0304fe7a4d0aa70f7a53b1b6ccece3c3.png

Then click "Return" 

Spoiler

767625712_Screenshot2023-07-29at3_25_24PM.png.ed5abd75b61b3c30c31411f6e44aa4d9.png

and then "Build and Install Open Core."   When prompted, select "View Build Log" and follow the path to the OCLP-generated OC EFI.

*** OCLP is designed for Real Macs.  Never use OCLP to generate an OC EFI for your hackintosh.  I only use OCLP's generated OC EFI as a reference ***

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

21 hours ago, deeveedee said:

Replace AirportBrcmFixup.kext 2.1.7 in OC/Kexts with the AirportBrcmFixup.kext 2.1.7 in the OCLP-Generated EFI (they have the same version, but have different sizes)

Hide contents

Hmm... Weird. I noticed that they are of a different size because the AirportBrcmFixup.kext from OCLP does not have AirPortBrcm4360_Injector.kext in its PlugIn folder. If you delete AirPortBrcm4360_Injector.kext the size is exactly the same. NO changes in info.plist or the contents of AirportBrcmFixup binary after comparing them in BBEdit.  AirportBrcmFixup.kext from iMac18,3 generated EFI also have a different size which is actually missing both AirPortBrcm4360_Injector.kext and AirPortBrcmNIC_Injector.kext but other than that I didn't notice any difference.

• Like 2

On 7/29/2023 at 4:03 PM, ThriftLover said:

Hmm... Weird. I noticed that they are of a different size because the AirportBrcmFixup.kext from OCLP does not have AirPortBrcm4360_Injector.kext in its PlugIn folder. If you delete AirPortBrcm4360_Injector.kext the size is exactly the same. NO changes in info.plist or the contents of AirportBrcmFixup binary after comparing them in BBEdit.  AirportBrcmFixup.kext from iMac18,3 generated EFI also have a different size which is actually missing both AirPortBrcm4360_Injector.kext and AirPortBrcmNIC_Injector.kext but other than that I didn't notice any difference.

EDIT: @ThriftLover - you were right to think this was weird.  I was experimenting with device spoofing and different versions of AirportBrcmFixup.kext as I explain here and misinterpreted my test results.  It was the spoofing and NOT the AirportBrcmFixup.kext version that resulted in successful Wi-Fi patching in Sonoma.  See my mea culpa here.

Leaving my comments below for historical purposes, but my conclusions below are wrong.

=============================================

Good find. 

EDIT: kextstat in Sonoma shows these Brcm kexts on my hack (same as in Ventura)

Spoiler

99884971_Screenshot2023-07-29at4_25_26PM.thumb.png.a1050d4350a79a3f4b6ae0cc7b23b9d5.png

EDIT2: The OC config.plist generated by OCLP 0.6.9 does inject the Brcm plugin kext.

Spoiler

770513369_Screenshot2023-07-29at4_37_14PM.png.3e169e89051a3becb758f7eb25c42553.png

If the kext change really is just removal of the plugins, why not just remove the plugin from the config.plist (or disable it) instead of modifying the kext?

EDIT3: @ThriftLover If I disable the AirPortBrcmNIC_Injector.kext kext injection in my config.plist, Wi-Fi no longer works in Sonoma.  The OCLP Devs are clearly working more magic than we know.  Could it be that somehow, OCLP 0.6.9 post-install patching is partially injecting the plugin kext (thus the removal of the plugins from AirportBrcmFixup.kext) and that OC's Kernel > Add processing is only part of the full kext injection?  I don't doubt that you are correct (that the difference between the two AirportBrcmFixup.kexts is the removal of the plugins).  Without knowing anything about this and I am making a complete guess, I would say that the plugins are removed from AirportBrcmFixup.kext, so that they don't override kext injection which includes a "partial kext injection" by the post-install patches.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 2

So, After many trys and many days and nights of Frustrations, I finally got WIFI working and Sonoma booting quickly. I read what @deeveedee posted about getting his wifi working and creating an EFI from OCLP and using that has a reference point to get this going. I did the same and voila, working. Now if someone can look at my config and see why I can't get my usb ports to show in Hackintool. I created all new SSDT's using SSDTTime in windows and just threw all of them in ACPI due to frustration or maybe that amfi.kext is causing the issue 

***EDIT *** USB ports now working after some SSDTD changes and a new USB mapping

image.thumb.png.d8ccc1c779dc0abc98a6b7f2019d161f.pngimage.thumb.png.091bc3c5d2b2c82a5c307d7c763c8521.png

config.plist.zip

Edited by surenmunoo
  • Like 4

On 7/26/2023 at 12:15 AM, cankiulascmnfye said:

@surenmunoo In the notes of the Sonoma OCLP Development bracnh it says, that you still have to apply root patches with OCLP 068 afterwards to make it work:

1984206987_Bildschirmfoto2023-07-26um09_14_07.png.fab3511f3c410e0df6ed374fbef1618b.png

Source: https://github.com/dortania/OpenCore-Legacy-Patcher/pull/1077#issuecomment-1646934494

I disabled AMFI and Firefox and WhatsApp for Mac both stopped working.  Anyone have a possible solution or workaround?