[Solved] Update to Ventura 13.4 - bluetooth no longer works ( BCM94352HMB )

Niko NDP

97 posts in this topic

@Niko NDP Congratulations!  I'd "like" your post, but I've apparently reached my "like" limit for the day.  I just saw a new BlueToolFixup.kext posted in the Sonoma thread and thought that the update was only needed in Sonoma, so I'm pleasantly surprised that it fixes your issue.  Great to hear!  If someone understands the change that fixes your issue in Ventura 13.4, I'd be very interested in learning.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, Niko NDP said:

@deeveedee I'm someone who doesn't give up and in my part they say "it takes time, said the water to the rock, but in the end I'll pierce you". 😄

I think I found the solution that works.

Searching around, I found someone more experienced and capable than me who found the solution: the BlueToolFixup.kext version 2.6.7 has been modified, the author is

https://github.com/zxystd

I then replaced the kext and tried booting and rebooting, bluetooth works perfectly.

I invite @mnfesq and everyone else to try it and let us know if it works for him too.

It seemed to be working fine for me in 13.5 beta 2 but then I spent some time using Sonoma and, after my laptop slept through the night, it woke up and BT was not working.  I reset BT, changed NVRAM from 01 to 00 and then it worked again-same as before.  The new kext didn't seem to fix things in Sonoma.

• Like 1

@mnfesq I also tested BrcmPatchRAM 2.6.7 package (including new BlueToolFixup.kext) and Bluetooth does not work for me in Sonoma.  Sonoma System Report shows only the following for my BCM94352HMB.  Note that I replaced BrcmPatchRAM3.kext, BrcmFirmwareData.kext, BlueToolFixup.kext with version 2.6.7 for my test.  I used the BrcmPatchRAM 2.6.7 package mentioned in the Sonoma thread.

1377137135_Screenshot2023-06-11at6_52_52AM.png.06df763b871da46c3c5fcaee29fc14ed.png

EDIT: In Ventura 13.4,  I have found that with the BrcmPatchRAM 2.6.7 package (including updated BlueToolFixup.kext), I no longer need to kill bluetoothd before turning Bluetooth back on after turning it off.  I added a note to my original post here to reflect this improvement with version 2.6.7.

EDIT2: In Ventura 13.4, after I upgraded BrcmPatchRAM package from 2.6.6 to 2.6.7, I needed to unpair and re-pair bluetooth devices in order to connect.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 2

Note that at the time of this post, the BluetoolFixup improvements found in zyxstd's fork of BrcmPatchRAM are NOT captured in Acidanthera's BrcmPatchRAM.

With Acidanthera's BrcmPatchRAM 2.6.7, I need to kill bluetoothd in order to be able to turn-on Bluetooth after turning it off.  I will be sticking with zyxstd's fork of BrcmPatchRAM on my hack.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 1

@kinhhoang161 I needed to disable SpatialSoundProfileAllowed on my hack (SMBIOS MBP6,2).  This might have something to do with the fact that my hack has NVidia graphics and I have disabled HDAU, but that's just a guess.  If Bluetooth is working for you without disabling SpatialSoundProfileAllowed, then you don't need it on your hack.

34 minutes ago, deeveedee said:

@kinhhoang161 I needed to disable SpatialSoundProfileAllowed on my hack (SMBIOS MBP6,2).  This might have something to do with the fact that my hack has NVidia graphics and I have disabled HDAU, but that's just a guess.  If Bluetooth is working for you without disabling SpatialSoundProfileAllowed, then you don't need it on your hack.

thank you for answer

I'm still having BT problems.  The new kext resolved the issue with the dongle failed item in NVRAM but for some reason, my BT is not discoverable when I open BT System Preferences.  I have tried resetting BT and that does not help.  The only thing that helps is a reboot.  Thoughts?

EDIT:  Even a reboot doesn't help.  I think there may be a problem with the new kext.  I will revert back and report.

It's not the kext.  I tried to pair my headphones in Widows and it didn't work there either.  I may have borked my BT card.

EDIT No. 2:  I got the BT card to activate and be discoverable in both Windows 11 and macOS Ventura using BlueToolFixup.kext, one of the earlier versions of 2.6.7.  I tried reinstalling 2.6.8 and I cannot connect my headset to my laptop and it says that laptop discoverable is off.  I cannot seem to get it to turn on in order to connect my headset.  Thoughts?

EDIT No. 3:  I got my headset to connect to my laptop with BT using BlueToolFixup 2.6.8.  I removed the 2 recent entries in NVRAM in my config.plist (bluetoothExternalDongleFailed and bluetoothInternalControllerInfo), rebooted, shut off BT, restarted BT using the terminal command "sudo killall -9 BlueTool bluetoothd" twice because once apparently was not enough and finally, my headset connected.  I'll report back on future attempts to connect after the laptop wakes from sleep.

Edited by mnfesq
  • Like 2

The nightly build of BrcmPatchRAM from here is working for me in Ventura 13.4.  I am using BrcmPatchRAM 2.6.8 (DEV) with this configuration.  I am finding that the Acidanthera DEV version of BlueToolFixup.kext 2.6.8 is behaving for me the same as zyxsdt's fork.  I can turn bluetooth on and off repeatedly without killing bluetoothd and bluetooth continues to work.

EDIT: Bluetooth continues to work properly after sleep/wake in Ventura 13.4.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, deeveedee said:

The nightly build of BrcmPatchRAM from here is working for me in Ventura 13.4.  I am using BrcmPatchRAM 2.6.8 (DEV) with this configuration.  I am finding that the Acidanthera DEV version of BlueToolFixup.kext 2.6.8 is behaving for me the same as zyxsdt's fork.  I can turn bluetooth on and off repeatedly without killing bluetoothd and bluetooth continues to work.

EDIT: Bluetooth continues to work properly after sleep/wake in Ventura 13.4.

I am using your suggested config and it is working somewhat.  When my laptop wakes from sleep, I need to turn off BT, reset it in Terminal, then turn it back on and connect to my headset.  It's progress but not ideal. Thanks.

• Like 1

Well, I finally have BT working perfectly on my laptop.  I used the config recommended by @deeveedee.  However, for whatever reason, my laptop simply does not work well with the BCM94360 chipset.  I reverted back to the BCM94352 chipset that I had been using for several years and, with the updated BlueToolFixup.kext, it works great.  Thank you for your help.

EDIT:  By way of clarification, the 4360 chipset has 3 terminals for wires - one black, one white and one gray.  The 4352 chipset only has two terminals - one black and one white.  My laptop only has a black wire and a white wire.  That may be the reason for my problems.  The main problem I was having, by the way, was once I was able to connect to BT, it would disconnect on its own and was difficult to reconnect unless I went through the whole process of restarting BT in Terminal before reconnecting.

Edited by mnfesq

• 4 weeks later...

Same problem here.  I have an Asus Z170 de luxe with a Broadcom BCM94360HMB chip working fine in Monterey, but I cannot make it work well with Ventura.  Everything seems to work (including wifi) but bluetooth does not.  System info says it is on, but discoverable is off, as described in this thread.  Opencore 0.9.3 with all kexts and drivers up to date, Skylake spoofed as iMac 18,2.  Tried the bluetoothExternalDongleFailed (which stays 0x00 in nvram, after nvram clearing and reboot, I checked) and bluetoothInternalControllerInfo, but nothing.  Using BlueToolFixup 2.6.7.  Frustrating!.

EDIT:  With BluetoolFixup.kext 2.6.8 bluetooth now works (I can pair magic keyboard and trackpad), even though system info keeps saying discoverable is off.

Edited by fjf

Thanks a lot guys. @deeveedee Your solution helped me out.

BlueToolFixup 2.6.8 worth trying too. It resolved connection issue with my touchpad. Earlier it paired, connected but never connecting again after reboot.

Edited by semson

"My solution" is a combination of @t2m 's posted NVRAM entries (which they found on Reddit) and @Niko NDP 's posted BluetoolFixup.kext (which they got from zxystd).  I definitely do NOT deserve the credit for this - it is a good team effort.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Folks,

Anyone manage to connect your system to an iPhone via BT ?

All the successful tests here seem to be with audio & HID devices but I have not seen successful connection with an iPhone.

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone, wondering if this thread still active and I want to ask some question, so I'm using DW1820A wifi work great via disabling aspm (ofc) but I have issues with the bluetooth. It detected as THIRD_PARTY_DONGLE so Airdrop for macOS don't work. Is there any tool, guide or kext that can I use to mask the detection as THIRD_PARTY one to apple? Thanks before and really sorry if my word hard to understand :)

Here is the attached picture of the problem that i have :

image.thumb.png.e86bbc6a02e4c4d9735065d7dab51746.png

• 6 months later...

OpenCore Legacy Patcher now includes the Bluetooth NVRAM properties found on Reddit by @t2m here.  The OCLP commit notes give credit for the NVRAM properties to one of the OCLP contributors (ausdauersportler).  Was he really the person who figured out the NVRAM patch for Bluetooth?  I have my doubts, but could be wrong (wouldn't be the first time).

Edited by deeveedee