Ventura 13.2.1 installed and booting without turbo boost, Xeon E5-2690V2 Chinese x79

rbeltran

47 posts in this topic

Hello,

I have already installed Ventura 13.2.1 with a Chinese motherboard and a Xeon E5-2690v2 with the EFI of the user 陈军鹏 (many thanks by the way) posted on the link below, and the system has 2 issues:

1. Random reboots on boot.

2. When it finally boots, the system start without turboboost.

Link: https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/profile/2644405-陈军鹏/#:~:text=October 26%2C 2022-,[Release] macOS Ventura 13.0,-陈军鹏

(I'm doing a new post for this because i cant post in this link)

Captura de pantalla 2023-03-20 a la(s) 21.54.59.png

I think that the cause of your problem is explained here:

except that "pre-Ivy Bridge" should read "pre-Haswell". Monterey 12.3 and later have no power management in place for your Ivy Bridge-EP CPU.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rbeltran said:

You are right @etorix, and my motherboard lacks the option to unlock MSR, so no option to enable power management for me; i also tryed "ControlMsrE2.efi" without luck, so neither i have the option to patch the kernel with "_xcpm_bootstrap". Thanks for clarify.

Both OpenCore and Clover have options to deal with locked MSR 0xE2. No. It is not unlocking, this is impossible. It is kernel patching.

I successfully live with locked MSR having good PowerManagement.

On 3/21/2023 at 11:52 AM, rbeltran said:

Have you figured out the "random reboots on boot?"  If you haven't figured it out, can you post your verbose boot log to show where the reboot occurs?

17 hours ago, Slice said:

Both OpenCore and Clover have options to deal with locked MSR 0xE2. No. It is not unlocking, this is impossible. It is kernel patching.

I successfully live with locked MSR having good PowerManagement.

I thought it wasn't posible, can you please share the tips to make power management available on Ventura with Ivy Bridge-E? (Right now i only have base freq. without turbo boost)

4 hours ago, deeveedee said:

Have you figured out the "random reboots on boot?"  If you haven't figured it out, can you post your verbose boot log to show where the reboot occurs?

Still not haven't luck with this, the same happens in Monterey, it starts at 3rd or 4rd attempt, then when it boots the system works fine.

(just Monterey with PM, on Ventura i still can't found how to make PM available).

I'm sorry but i just delete the Ventura disk, i'll install again to continue with the tests, by now i'm attashing the files of Monterey boot and system, soon i'll share the Ventura files.

2023-03-25 (Boot) Monterey E5-2690v2 - jingsha x79M-S.txt 2023-03-25 (System) Monterey E5-2690v2 - jingsha x79M-S.txt

4 hours ago, rbeltran said:

I thought it wasn't posible, can you please share the tips to make power management available on Ventura with Ivy Bridge-E? (Right now i only have base freq. without turbo boost)

I am not sure about Ventura as I make only Monterey on this computer. AFAIK same problems.

499793_Screenshot_2022-10-07_at_21.53.05.png

There are several tips what to do to make hackintosh on the X79+IvyBridge-E including:

1. I used Clover which has PowerManagement settings in his config.plist.

2. Edited DSDT.aml manually especially Processor section.

3. Used such kexts as FakeSMC and VoodooTSCSync also related to PM.

In the screen you may see all non-apple kexts

499861_Screenshot_2022-10-18_at_20.24.53.png

20 hours ago, deeveedee said:

I just installed Ventura again, i'm attashing boot log and system log.

2023-03-26 (System) Ventura E5-2690v2 -jingsha x79M-S.txt 2023-03-26 (Boot) Ventura E5-2690v2 -jingsha x79M-S.txt

12 hours ago, Slice said:

I am not sure about Ventura as I make only Monterey on this computer. AFAIK same problems.

499793_Screenshot_2022-10-07_at_21.53.05.png

There are several tips what to do to make hackintosh on the X79+IvyBridge-E including:

1. I used Clover which has PowerManagement settings in his config.plist.

2. Edited DSDT.aml manually especially Processor section.

3. Used such kexts as FakeSMC and VoodooTSCSync also related to PM.

In the screen you may see all non-apple kexts

499861_Screenshot_2022-10-18_at_20.24.53.png

I have also installed Monterey, but in Monterey PM is working good for me with all the "P states", "C states" and "turbo boost"; my problem with the "turbo boost" is only on Ventura, and the only option i have read about is concerning to "MSR 0xE2", i still don't know how to do this in Opencore. I have already enabled "AppleCpuPmCfgLock", "AppleXPMCFGLock" and "AppleXcpmExtraMsrs" in Kernel Quirks without luck. Now i'm looking how to kernel patch the "MSR 0xE2".

2 hours ago, etorix said:

You already did it. AppleXcpmCfgLock deals with MSR 0xE2, AppleCpuPmCfgLock is the version for (much) older OS; and AppleXcpmExtraMsrs is for MSR 0x1AA.

Understood, i'll continue testing configs for Ventura to enable Turbo Boost, thanks for clarify.

• 2 weeks later...

To add more context: Starting with macOS Monterey 12.3, we saw Apple's first move towards deprecating legacy power management (ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext) by dropping the plugin-type check, thereby forcing XCPM (x86PP) on all CPUs (as reported/discussed in the article shared above - thx @etorix); this change automatically affected CPUs that do not support XCPM natively (pre-Haswell), especially the Ivy-Bridge EPs found in MacPro6,1 (aka Trash Can) which actually is part of the hardware line-up supported in Monterey -- since the legacy binary was still present in 12.3, we were able to implement work-arounds to avoid x86PP from attaching to the CPU thereby allowing fallback to legacy power management for non-XCPM CPUs (pre-Haswell).

With Ventura however, Apple outright removed the binary itself: ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext (including AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement kexts) - in other words, Ventura now completely lacks the logic/drivers responsible for legacy power management altogether. Of course, OCLP (project designed solely around support for legacy Macs) can help restore power management support (by injecting legacy binaries on-the-fly), however most hacks (with locked MSR 0xE2) will likely end up with a kernel panic. More importantly - in this particular scenario - OpenCore's AppleCpuPmCfgLock quirk can no longer help with bypassing the locked 0xE2 register restriction, as the quirk has no mechanism to patch on-the-fly binaries (only on-disk binaries, more info here).

With the above specifics in mind,
 your only viable options at the moment are:

1. Stay on Monterey (for optimum/native performance) OR
  2. Force XCPM in Ventura (subpar performance - no turbo boost)
  3. Use a BIOS with MSR 0xE2 unlocked (will most likely require flashing a custom BIOS and/or mod BIOS variable offsets depending on the vendor)
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Slice said:

I will insist that MSR 0xE2 has no relation to Turbo boost.

Hi - I believe the topic is about Ivy Bridge support in Ventura, not Monterey. The main gist is: Do you have Turbo Boost with pre-Haswell CPU in Ventura? If yes, that means you have unlocked MSR 0xE2 in BIOS so no panic when injecting legacy binary. If no, that means your pre-Haswell CPU is running in XCPM profile.

Of course, MSR 0xE2 in this context has no direct co-relation to Turbo Boost (my previous comment has not implied this in any capacity) - it only matters with respect to AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext, which is the legacy binary that OpenCore/Clover quirk helps to patch to avoid kernel panic for mobos with locked MSR 0xE2.

If you know how to enable Turbo Boost for Ivy Bridge in Ventura (not Monterey) with locked MSR 0xE2, then please show us, thanks!

Edited by aben

8 hours ago, Slice said:

IvyBridge is not supported by Ventura no matter if MSR 0xE2 locked or no.

Officially yes - Apple fully deprecated native support for non-AVX2 CPUs in Ventura however let me remind you that we are hackintosh community, and this will not simply refrain us from coming up with solutions/patches/hacks to try and restore support for legacy hardware (which is precisely what makes our community all the more fun and exciting).

Massive credits to the brilliant folks over at Acidanthera (and by extension Dortania) for projects like CryptexFixup and OCLP that makes it possible to restore support for Ivy Bridge in Ventura including full power management. As clearly detailed above: the requirement of BIOS with MSR 0xE2 unlocked (like real MacPro6,1 mobo) is only to avoid kernel panic/improve compatibility when injecting legacy kexts from Monterey (not to enable Turbo Boost specifically).

@aben,

IMO there used to be way more enthusiast in this insanelymac back in the first few years starting with Leopard and Snowleopard. Amazing it's been going this long and Apple hasn't come after the community. Some really intelligent beings here.  

23 hours ago, Slice said:

Unlocked MSR 0xE2 is not a requirement for power management. We already have kernel patches to deal with. But yes, I don't know details of OCLP may be it fails.

OCLP do not account for PCs and laptops with locked MSR 0xE2, unlike real Macs that allows access to MSR 0xE2 register natively for macOS' needs (mostly power management related) - which is precisely why OpenCore/Clover offer hacks a standalone kernel patch/quirk to workaround that requirement in macOS, for most mobos, including legacy systems like Ivy-Bridge that perform best with legacy power management service (non-XCPM) - until Ventura completely dropped support for Ivy-Bridge, rendering OC/Clover's kernel patch now useless for legacy hacks looking to restore legacy power management (non-XCPM) in Ventura.

With OCLP, a MacPro6,1 (with Ivy-Bridge EP) can force-inject the missing "legacy power management binaries" from Monterey (with supporting patches) using OC and get full legacy power management back in Ventura including Turbo Boost. If a hack with Ivy-Bridge tried this, there will be kernel panic, because OC/Clover quirk has no mechanism to patch the MSR/CFG register requirement from power management kexts not present in S/L/E/, to overcome this limitation introduced by Ventura, Ivy-Bridge hacks can use BIOS with unlocked MSR 0xE2 register (like real Mac), inject legacy binaries not present in Ventura and it works! legacy power management is back with Turbo Boost for non-XCPM hacks like Ivy Bridge in Ventura as well, (just like real MacPro6,1 with unlocked MSR 0XE2)

IMO, sometimes it's best for hacks to maintain hardware/firmware parity with real Macs for better macOS compatibility (more vanilla, less patches) which results in optimum experience. (one good example is the use of Apple designed Broadcom chipsets for the best wireless experiences/features macOS can offer, especially for a hack!)

Edited by aben

XCPM generally not ideal as a power- management profile for pre-Haswell systems, you lose Turbo Boost also, which is exactly what OP issue is. At the moment, Ivy-Bridge systems with MSR 0xE2 unlocked can inject non-XCPM binary and successfully restore non-XCPM profile back with Turbo Boost in Ventura with supplemental patches from OCLP team, tho no easy task to unlock firmware, but is possible.

You will be right just excluding MSR from your claim such a way

XCPM generally not ideal as a power- management profile for pre-Haswell systems, you lose Turbo Boost also, which is exactly what OP issue is. At the moment, Ivy-Bridge systems with MSR 0xE2 unlocked can inject non-XCPM binary and successfully restore non-XCPM profile back with Turbo Boost in Ventura with supplemental patches from OCLP team, tho no easy task to unlock firmware, but is possible.

1990551904_Capturadepantalla2023-04-14alas12_40_24p.m..thumb.png.160d34359c449833fcacc77f3dfe863b.png

On 3/21/2023 at 10:52 AM, rbeltran said:

Hello,

I have already installed Ventura 13.2.1 with a Chinese motherboard and a Xeon E5-2690v2 with the EFI of the user 陈军鹏 (many thanks by the way) posted on the link below, and the system has 2 issues:

Link: https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/profile/2644405-陈军鹏/#:~:text=October 26%2C 2022-,[Release] macOS Ventura 13.0,-陈军鹏

(I'm doing a new post for this because i cant post in this link)

Captura de pantalla 2023-03-20 a la(s) 21.54.59.png

If you have Windows I can help you to patch your BIOS