Ventura 13.2.1 installed and booting without turbo boost, Xeon E5-2690V2 Chinese x79

rbeltran

47 posts in this topic

Just noticed OpenCore’s current master actually contains a kernel-sanity-check in place for legacy AICPUPM kexts against Ventura kernel (interesting, but why? likely due to performance concerns around Ventura’s legacy

compatibilities?), which now explains why AppleCpuPmCfgLock quirk (to deal with locked CFG/MSR) has been reportedly skipping the patch when attempting to force-inject end-of-life AICPUPM kexts along with Ventura kernel in OC, leading to kernel panic in hacks attempting to load non-XCPM in Ventura (*Monterey and earlier ok).

(Again - non-XCPM support was never a problem for real MacPro6,1 unit running *Ventura that has same CPU chipset as OP, because its mobo is not restricted by locked MSR 0xE2 register, the system allows legacy AICPUPM to attach natively to CPU without relying on quirk from OC/Clover)

I believe the quirk (to deal with MSR 0xE2 lock) should work just fine in Clover as well for PCs/laptops - suggest OP to test:

1. recompiled OpenCore binary with legacy check redacted (GH users can also just fork OC from master, make changes and simply initiate pre-bundled workflows for quicker binary grabs from GitHub Actions (Artifacts))
  2. Clover (+ patches from OCLP) if they’re looking for non-XCPM in Ventura.
  • Like 1

@rbeltran Hi - you can actually opt to skip unlocking MSR 0xE2 register the hard way (which involves BIOS payload extraction, then find and modify MSR/CFG variable via shell command, eg. GRUB). As detailed above, part of your issue is that recent OpenCore's release binaries has a kernel/OS check which blocks legacy-power-management kexts (AICPUPM) from being patched for the locked MSR 0xE2 bypass in Ventura (quirk: AppleCpuPmCfgLock), which is why you're having trouble getting your Ivy-Bridge CPU to run in non-XCPM mode in Ventura.

Assuming that your machine is currently running Ventura with OpenCore, I've attached below recompiled OpenCore binaries (with check removed), and legacy-power-management kexts, which you can use to successfully force non-XCPM power-management mode for your Ivy-Bridge CPU in Ventura. Before you proceed, remember to create backups of your current EFI config targeted for Ventura, then follow the steps below:

1. Copy/replace OpenCore.efi, OpenRuntime.efi and BOOTx64.efi binaries (from EFI.zip attached below to your EFI)
  2. Add legacy-power-management kexts: AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kextAppleIntelCPUPowerManagementClient.kext (also included in same EFI.zip below) to Kexts folder; also remember to include them to your kexts list in config.plist (under Kernel->Add)

Once booted, you can confirm if the patch was successful by checking your CPU objects in ioreg; they should attach to ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.

Test and post your results. Good luck!

N.B: Next OpenCore release 0.9.2 will be shipping with the above detailed kernel-check redacted, so legacy kexts AICPUPM can be conveniently injected/loaded successfully in macOS 13 for machines with locked MSR/CFG.

EFI.zip

Edited by aben
Upload files
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/18/2023 at 7:31 PM, anerik70 said:

Let`s start:

1. Download file attached.
  2. Extract.
  3. Open cmd as admin.
  4. cd to the folder FPT_X79_DOS
  5. Do a bios backup with this Command: fptw64 -d backup.bin.
  6. Report here the process with image captures and the file backup.bin

FPT_X79_DOS.zip 510.88 kB · 0 downloads

Ok @anerik70, i already made this with AFUDOS instead of FPT and with this guide, but there's no "CFG Lock" on my bios. By the way i have attached my bios dump. I hope there's another way to patch my bios to unlock CFG.

JINSHAX7.BIN

1 hour ago, rbeltran said:

Ok @anerik70, i already made this with AFUDOS instead of FPT and with this guide, but there's no "CFG Lock" on my bios. By the way i have attached my bios dump. I hope there's another way to patch my bios to unlock CFG.

JINSHAX7.BIN 4.5 MB · 0 downloads

I need you do the process with FPT to get the entire bios (about 8mb). 

La mía tampoco tiene CFG Lock pero el valor está allí.

image.png.0e6e7e40a21e5ac2fc84b15afb4b1662.png

Edited by anerik70

4 hours ago, anerik70 said:

I need you do the process with FPT to get the entire bios (about 8mb). 

La mía tampoco tiene CFG Lock pero el valor está allí.

image.png.0e6e7e40a21e5ac2fc84b15afb4b1662.png

FPT gives me this "error 201", i tried from windows 10 CMD, Powershell, and with a flash drive with DOS, FreeDOS, all of them with the same error. It seems that my motherboard works only with AFUDOS. I'm using this method FPT from windows 10.

(En los comentarios del link indica que, si no sirve FPT, lo más probable es que solo funcione con AFUDOS)

Captura.JPG

8 hours ago, rbeltran said:

FPT gives me this "error 201", i tried from windows 10 CMD, Powershell, and with a flash drive with DOS, FreeDOS, all of them with the same error. It seems that my motherboard works only with AFUDOS. I'm using this method FPT from windows 10.

(En los comentarios del link indica que, si no sirve FPT, lo más probable es que solo funcione con AFUDOS)

Captura.JPG

If you are on 32bit use fpt -d backup.bin

Edited by anerik70

9 hours ago, anerik70 said:

If you are on 32bit use fpt -d backup.bin

It's Windows10 64bit, nevertheless, i've tryed with FPT 32bit, 64bit, DOS and EFI version, and all of them give me the same error.

On 4/21/2023 at 7:25 AM, aben said:

@rbeltran Hi - you can actually opt to skip unlocking MSR 0xE2 register the hard way (which involves BIOS payload extraction, then find and modify MSR/CFG variable via shell command, eg. GRUB). As detailed above, part of your issue is that recent OpenCore's release binaries has a kernel/OS check which blocks legacy-power-management kexts (AICPUPM) from being patched for the locked MSR 0xE2 bypass in Ventura (quirk: AppleCpuPmCfgLock), which is why you're having trouble getting your Ivy-Bridge CPU to run in non-XCPM mode in Ventura.

Assuming that your machine is currently running Ventura with OpenCore, I've attached below recompiled OpenCore binaries (with check removed), and legacy-power-management kexts, which you can use to successfully force non-XCPM power-management mode for your Ivy-Bridge CPU in Ventura. Before you proceed, remember to create backups of your current EFI config targeted for Ventura, then follow the steps below:

1. Copy/replace OpenCore.efi, OpenRuntime.efi and BOOTx64.efi binaries (from EFI.zip attached below to your EFI)
  2. Add legacy-power-management kexts: AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kextAppleIntelCPUPowerManagementClient.kext (also included in same EFI.zip below) to Kexts folder; also remember to include them to your kexts list in config.plist (under Kernel->Add)

Once booted, you can confirm if the patch was successful by checking your CPU objects in ioreg; they should attach to ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.

N.B: Next OpenCore release 0.9.2 will be shipping with the above detailed kernel-check redacted, so legacy kexts AICPUPM can be conveniently injected/loaded successfully in macOS 13 for machines with locked MSR/CFG.

EFI.zip 456.47 kB · 3 downloads

Hi @aben i'm installing Ventura again to test with your files, thanks by the way.

4 hours ago, rbeltran said:

It's Windows10 64bit, nevertheless, i've tryed with FPT 32bit, 64bit, DOS and EFI version, and all of them give me the same error.

Hi @aben i'm installing Ventura again to test with your files, thanks by the way.

@aben turbo boost it's now working normal with the files you gave to me, thank you very much for your help.

EFI Ventura Funcionando con Turbo Boost2.png

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/26/2023 at 8:01 AM, anerik70 said:

Try MacPro 7.1 smbios 

Hi @anerik70, i already use 7.1 only to install the system, but i can't tell if there are any changes between 6.1 and 7.1 in the performance of the system. I'll do some benchmark test to see if there are some differences between them.

3 hours ago, rbeltran said:

Hi @anerik70, i already use 7.1 only to install the system, but i can't tell if there are any changes between 6.1 and 7.1 in the performance of the system. I'll do some benchmark test to see if there are some differences between them.

VDA decoder is fully working

On 4/21/2023 at 8:25 AM, aben said:

EFI.zip 456.47 kB · 5 downloads

Hello sir, would this work for the i7-3720QM ivy-bridge on Ventura or no?

@morganinhaaax Hi - most of the information detailed above applies to improving power management support for legacy CPUs (pre-Haswell) on Ventura, so yes! should work for the i7-3720QM as well.

Feel free to use both legacy power-management kexts (AICPUPM) uploaded in my post. However, for the OpenCore binaries, I would suggest you grab the more latest release binaries from the OpenCore repository on GitHub, given that ver. 0.9.2 was just released earlier this week which includes relevant support for legacy CPUs on Ventura.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, aben said:

@morganinhaaax Hi - most of the information detailed above applies to improving power management support for legacy CPUs (pre-Haswell) on Ventura, so yes! should work for the i7-3720QM as well.

Feel free to use both legacy power-management kexts (AICPUPM) uploaded in my post. However, for the OpenCore binaries, I would suggest you grab the more latest release binaries from the OpenCore repository on GitHub, given that ver. 0.9.2 was just released earlier this week which includes relevant support for legacy CPUs on Ventura.

Hello, i have tested with your files and works fine!! Very thanks sir. 

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
On 4/15/2023 at 1:36 AM, anerik70 said:

Chinese Atermiter X79G006 

Xeon E5-2630 v2 IvyBridge -EP (MSR 0xE2 unlocked Easy using FPT commands under Windows) Fully PM.

RX 470

1879460840_Capturadepantalla2023-04-12ala(s)6_30_21p.m..png

I have Sabertooth x79•E5-1650v2•RX560 succes with Monterey 99%, i try Ventura & Sonoma can Boot to install, fail on last reboot 😩

I hope some one can help me thanks 🙏

Edited by rubah ganteng

On 3/26/2023 at 4:18 AM, rbeltran said:

Still not haven't luck with this, the same happens in Monterey, it starts at 3rd or 4rd attempt, then when it boots the system works fine.

(just Monterey with PM, on Ventura i still can't found how to make PM available).

I'm sorry but i just delete the Ventura disk, i'll install again to continue with the tests, by now i'm attashing the files of Monterey boot and system, soon i'll share the Ventura files.

2023-03-25 (Boot) Monterey E5-2690v2 - jingsha x79M-S.txt 128 kB · 12 downloads 2023-03-25 (System) Monterey E5-2690v2 - jingsha x79M-S.txt 973.1 kB · 12 downloads

How did you get macos boot log? It's different from what I get via log util.

On 4/21/2023 at 2:25 PM, aben said:

I have overclocked Lynnfield CPU (3.6Ghz, stock 2.66Ghz) and PM works in very strange way: I have only the lowest multiplier x9 and the highest x20/21, no states in between. Also all cores adjust freq at the same time, so no cores with high and low freq mixed:

Spoiler

Low:

cpu_oc_no_eist.png.58f05e00370a44c6445170b07c40f413.png

High:

cpu_oc_no_eist2.png.acb9625173c327e2bee25372edf0629c.png

The same behaviour when CPU runs at stock freq: 2.66Ghz.

Additionally I use ASPP-Override.kext (prioritizes plugin-type 0 over plugin-type 1), DummyPowerManagement is off in OpenCore. My MB with Bios, so no CFG Lock:

00:913 00:125 OCCPU: EIST CFG Lock 0

OC Log for CPU:

Spoiler

00:663 00:124 OCCPU: Found Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU         750  @ 2.67GHz
00:787 00:124 OCCPU: Signature 106E5 Stepping 5 Model 1E Family 6 Type 0 ExtModel 1 ExtFamily 0 uCode 4 CPUID MAX (B/80000008)
00:913 00:125 OCCPU: EIST CFG Lock 0
01:036 00:123 OCCPU: Timer address is 408 from LPC
01:160 00:123 OCCPU: Failed to get FSBFrequency data using Apple Platform Info - Not Found
01:385 00:225 OCCPU: Intel TSC:  3600001148Hz,  3600MHz; FSB:   180000057Hz,   180MHz; MaxBusRatio: 20
01:512 00:126 OCCPU: Detected Apple Processor Type: 06 -> 0602
01:637 00:125 OCCPU: CPUFrequencyFromTSC  3600001148Hz  3600MHz
01:761 00:124 OCCPU: CPUFrequency  3600001148Hz  3600MHz
01:885 00:124 OCCPU: FSBFrequency   180000057Hz   180MHz
02:009 00:124 OCCPU: Pkg 1 Cores 4 Threads 4

IOReg:

Spoiler

overclocked_pstates.thumb.png.489c30d5500f111f9d4a1024de7d5af9.png

Edited by mrmacdi2