[Troubleshooting] Hardware Acceleration Decoding

karea123

37 posts in this topic

Hello Insanely Talented people!

I'm here out of frustration, I used to have VDA Decoder running flawlessly on my hack before, with both hardware decoder and encoder fully accelerated, I could play lots of 4k60fps h264 files at one and it barely stressed my gpu. (RX570 4gb).

My machine configuration didn't change, the difference is that I did a full wipe and reinstallation of my OS.

I was using High Sierra and Clover, and now, after extensive reading and days of preparation, I'm on Monterey 12.0.1 (21A559) and OpenCore 0.7.5.
Everything works smooth and fine, display is running at 4k60fps, sound is coming through speakers and HDMI, ethernet is working on duplex mode, wifi is working on 5ghz, bt seems to hold just fine.

Sleep never worked before, and it's not working now, but whatever. iCloud services are running perfectly, iMessage, faceTime, everything.

But, for some unknown reason for me, my old RX570, that was natively supported before, now isn't accelerating stuff on my system.

Hackintool shows me VDA Decoder fails,

image.thumb.png.dc15d943043ffa0a1f23195222283fbe.png

VDADecoderChecker returns error as well as seen below;

image.thumb.png.ba42da975adcae667603e7c927728186.png

VideoProc (a handy software that can check for acceleration) returns a big red flag, no no too,

image.thumb.png.5770b20f500417ee20643a464637a080.png

So, I was fiddling around and found that my DRM protected content still plays fine, software decoding maybe?

I bought this card a long time ago to get rid of my web driver fiesta geforce, and it really never had this kind of behavior, except for some kexts I downloaded in the past while updating High Sierra, that rendered the card non-functional.

So, I'll attach my EFI folder and ioREG (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cQNS6uHXWhIEC_ApREw1BFBRE3-xoJ3m/view?usp=sharing) here, and would IMMENSELY appreciate any kind of help at this matter, as I am really newbie with OpenCore and it's quirks.

Additional info:
OpenCore version: 0.7.5

All kexts are on newest releases,

Thank you very much for reading and your attention :)

EFI.zip

Edited by karea123

copy your EFI folder to a USB disk for testing and start with removing the fakeid 3A1E0000 from device properties and disable the SSDT-IMEI (I know that in the Dortania's guide it is stated that for 6-series it's necessary to use fake ID but since you have no iGPU it won't hurt to test without it) and also remove the -lilubetaall bootflag because it's not needed.

2 minutes ago, Cyberdevs said:

copy your EFI folder to a USB disk for testing and start with removing the fakeid 3A1E0000 from device properties and disable the SSDT-IMEI (I know that in the Dortania's guide it is stated that for 6-series it's necessary to use fake ID but since you have no iGPU it won't hurt to test without it) and also remove the -lilubetaall bootflag because it's not needed.

Okidoki, I'll try those.

10 minutes ago, Cyberdevs said:

Hack booted just fine, everything seems as before.

So, even if acceleration didn't work, I think it's a welcomed change, less bloat.

9 minutes ago, Allan said:

I already copy this info 😉

key, ill try now.

22 minutes ago, karea123 said:

What are the main differences?

Before I boot this up, do I need to touch my Platform settings?

I copy the UEFI folder to my USB device and booted, the display booted in HDR mode and some random color profile, but no hardware acceleration yet.

Something fishy going on, want me to send anything to you to further inspect?

Edited by karea123

I remember in the past fiddling with renaming the GFX0 to something else, maybe it's just a random thought, but what are the implications of doing that?

3 minutes ago, Allan said:

An IOReg copy

How to get this file? Working on it.

Edited by karea123

Just now, Allan said:

AFAIK to deal with CPUs without iGPU the possible fix is using an iMac Pro SMBIOs.

But as you already using a SMBIOs of a machine that haven't an iGPU, well, I can't figure it out...🤔

Yeap, I tried some stuff that used to work before too, is it okey to post this thread on Post Installation help on Monterey forum?