[Troubleshooting] Hardware Acceleration Decoding

karea123

37 posts in this topic

@Allan

I'm reading in this topic (https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/6-1-h264-and-advise-for-a-new-system.2231113/)

that macPro6,1 doesn't support videotoolbox framework used by apple to accelerate stuff systemwide.

In this page, (https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Install-Guide/extras/monterey.html#table-of-contents),

MacPro1,1 and MacPro7,1 are the only 2 SMBIOS that will allow for dGPU to handle all the workload including background rendering and other tasks that the iGPU would handle

MacPro1,1 and MacPro7,1 are the only 2 SMBIOS that will allow for dGPU to handle all the workload including background rendering and other tasks that the iGPU would handle

but at the same time,

For those on Haswell or Ivy Bridge, here are some simple conversions:  Ivy Bridge desktops with dGPU should use MacPro6,1

So, I'm very confused..

Should I pick my poison?
What are the implications of using macPro7,1 SMBIOS? Will it mess my system too much?

Good stuff! 👌

3 minutes ago, karea123 said:

What are the implications of using macPro7,1 SMBIOS? Will it mess my system too much?

IMO is not something that will blow out your machine, but you can do a test using a USB stick.

2 hours ago, Allan said:

Good stuff! 👌

IMO is not something that will blow out your machine, but you can do a test using a USB stick.

I did everything over, reformatted, reinstalled, with 7,1 smbios this time.

Well, hw encode/decode works now in everything I've tested so far,

but my system is now sluggish as hell, there are delays on mouse inputs and basic tasks are a chore to complete.

._.

17 hours ago, Allan said:

Hello @karea123, sorry for the late, busy with my job.

But! Looking at your IOReg the power management it's fine 👇

Screen Shot 2021-11-29 at 18.47.23.png

I noticed my disks speeds were waaaaay lower on the write side for a ssd,

after extensively searching, I found a firmware update for my ssd, flashed it on windows, rebooted on macOS, enable trim and now the speeds are flying again.

Probably macOS Monterey dropped support for one or two models and it decreased my write speeds from 500mbps to 30mbps,

and with every write operation my system was going unresponsive.

I enabled trim through sudo trimforce enable,

but is there a patch method that I can apply to my config.plist, so I would not need to this again on a new installation?

Thank you ❤️

18 minutes ago, karea123 said:

I enabled trim through sudo trimforce enable,

but is there a patch method that I can apply to my config.plist, so I would not need to this again on a new installation?

The command is native from Apple, so is better. If you use the patch, when a new update comes you need to be aware of it.