Jump to content

Install overtop of Big Sur Fails with MSU 1130


11 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

I've tried to install Monterey on my Dell Inspiron 7567 running OpenCore 0.7.1 and after the computer boots into the OTA installer after 5 minutes of applying patches I get the following verbose screen and the computer restarts. I am using SMBIOS of MacBookPro,14.3 and even tried MacBookPro,14.1 and per the error, it seems to have an issue with my firmware. Any suggestions?

 

I did update all the kext that was released on acidanthera GitHub for macOS 12 beta support.

20210707_213548.jpg

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Andrw0380 said:

I've tried to install Monterey on my Dell Inspiron 7567 running OpenCore 0.7.1 and after the computer boots into the OTA installer after 5 minutes of applying patches I get the following verbose screen and the computer restarts. I am using SMBIOS of MacBookPro,14.3 and even tried MacBookPro,14.1 and per the error, it seems to have an issue with my firmware. Any suggestions?

 

I did update all the kext that was released on acidanthera GitHub for macOS 12 beta support.

Try with clover 5137.  OC  may inject kexts, but without proper functionality.  A kernel extension critical for your hardware may not be injecting correctly.  Alternatively there could be a BIOS parameter or firmware version not compatible with Monterey.

 

Try using  a significantly different profile.

Edited by HenryV

Sorry but some work was applied to the site/forum yesterday and previous messages lost. Please repost your zipped EFI folder and add your system's specs in signature.

Posted (edited)

 

20 hours ago, Hervé said:

Sorry but some work was applied to the site/forum yesterday and previous messages lost. Please repost your zipped EFI folder and add your system's specs in signature.

 Hello, I've resubmitted my OC folder and updated my signature from the posts being lost before. I've removed the MLB, Serial Number and UUID for security and the Resources folder in OC so I could attach my files.

 

The attached OC is the main one I've been using, but I've even tried removing kexts that were not updated for macOS 12 and changed the SMBIOS from Custom to Create with the "CustomSMBIOSGuid" value set to false, but even with those changes. I got the same error. Just wondering why I can't apply macOS 12 update to my existing macOS 11 Big Sur install.

Archive.zip

Edited by Andrw0380
  • Like 1

I have THE EXACT same error as you. I tried everything I can think of. In fact, my configuration is pretty clean, and works perfectly in Big Sur. I even updated to the latest Big Sur beta without issues. But as soon as I try to update to Monterey, I get that MSU 1130 error. I read that other users "solved" it by doing a clean install of Monterey, or by switching from OC to Clover, but none of those are actually a solution, they are workarounds, and I would really like to know what is causing it and what to do to be able to properly update from Big Sur to Monterey. I'm attaching my EFI here (platforminfo rom, serial and uuid deleted on purpose, but everything else is untouched): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FOZ5m2BYdALsBWSdMKddngd8FQY9_99A/view?usp=sharing

Edited by Shinji3rd2000
20 hours ago, Shinji3rd2000 said:

I have THE EXACT same error as you. I tried everything I can think of. In fact, my configuration is pretty clean, and works perfectly in Big Sur. I even updated to the latest Big Sur beta without issues. But as soon as I try to update to Monterey, I get that MSU 1130 error. I read that other users "solved" it by doing a clean install of Monterey, or by switching from OC to Clover, but none of those are actually a solution, they are workarounds, and I would really like to know what is causing it and what to do to be able to properly update from Big Sur to Monterey. I'm attaching my EFI here (platforminfo rom, serial and uuid deleted on purpose, but everything else is untouched): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FOZ5m2BYdALsBWSdMKddngd8FQY9_99A/view?usp=sharing

 

Hello, please do the following:

 

 

32 minutes ago, Allan said:

 

Hello, please do the following:

 

 

Done. I tried to do it before but I think the option is not available on mobile, that's why I added the info in "About me". Now I'm on my Mac and I was able to add it as signature.

  • Thanks 1

Same issue with z390 designare, it updated my disk so I am having to use my MacBook Pro to image off that disk and reinstall the entire machine 

Ok, I have some news.

 

After several days testing different things and cleaning my EFI, I FINALLY FOUND THE SOLUTION! It was all about the quirks. Even if it all worked great in Big Sur, for some reason I needed to activate a couple more quirks to be able to upgrade to Monterey.

 

If anyone else has this problem, with that MSU 1130 error or something like that, this is what I did. I don't know if all of this is required, but hey, it's what I did, it solved the issue, and as Monterey is now installed and perfectly working I can't test if some steps are not required, so here's the list of things I did:

 

- Deleted the APPLE folder inside my EFI folder.

- Enable "ProtectMemoryRegions" and "SyncRuntimePermissions" in the Booter section of my plist. Leave all the other quirks exactly as I had them.

- Misc -> Security, I set SecureBootModel to Disabled.

- Reboot the system, and in the picker I chose Clear NVRAM. System reboots.

- Boot Big Sur. No issues booting. Run the Monterey update again. This time, I had the feeling that it took a little longer than before.

- System reboots, and the update process begin. Everything went smooth, and after some time, Monterey loaded and everything works: wi-fi, bluetooth, graphics acceleration, sound...

 

So, if you are experiencing this error or something similar, compare the quirks you have and if you are missing the ones I mention, give it a try. Just take this in consideration:

- If you are using a Broadcom Wi-Fi/BT module, you have to disable BrcmBluetoothInjector and enable the new BlueToolFixup.

- CpuTscSync is not working in Monterey (yet), so you have to replace it with TSCAdjustReset.

- If you want an EFI folder valid for Big Sur and Monterey without the need to manually activate / de-activate kexts, just set the MaxKernel to 20.9.9 in those kexts that should not be injected in Monterey, and the MinKernel to 21.0.0 to those that are exclusive to Monterey and up. That way OpenCore will inject ones or the others depending on if you are booting Big Sur (or older) or Monterey.

Edited by Shinji3rd2000
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 7/14/2021 at 12:47 AM, Shinji3rd2000 said:

Ok, I have some news.

 

After several days testing different things and cleaning my EFI, I FINALLY FOUND THE SOLUTION! It was all about the quirks. Even if it all worked great in Big Sur, for some reason I needed to activate a couple more quirks to be able to upgrade to Monterey.

 

If anyone else has this problem, with that MSU 1130 error or something like that, this is what I did. I don't know if all of this is required, but hey, it's what I did, it solved the issue, and as Monterey is now installed and perfectly working I can't test if some steps are not required, so here's the list of things I did:

 

- Deleted the APPLE folder inside my EFI folder.

- Enable "AllowRelocationBlock", "ProtectMemoryRegions" and "SyncRuntimePermissions" in the Booter section of my plist. Leave all the other quirks exactly as I had them.

- Misc -> Security, I set SecureBootModel to Disabled.

- Reboot the system, and in the picker I chose Clear NVRAM. System reboots.

- Boot Big Sur. No issues booting. Run the Monterey update again. This time, I had the feeling that it took a little longer than before.

- System reboots, and the update process begin. Everything went smooth, and after some time, Monterey loaded and everything works: wi-fi, bluetooth, graphics acceleration, sound...

 

So, if you are experiencing this error or something similar, compare the quirks you have and if you are missing the ones I mention, give it a try. Just take this in consideration:

- If you are using a Broadcom Wi-Fi/BT module, you have to disable BrcmBluetoothInjector and enable the new BlueToolFixup.

- CpuTscSync is not working in Monterey (yet), so you have to replace it with TSCAdjustReset.

- If you want an EFI folder valid for Big Sur and Monterey without the need to manually activate / de-activate kexts, just set the MaxKernel to 20.9.9 in those kexts that should not be injected in Monterey, and the MinKernel to 21.0.0 to those that are exclusive to Monterey and up. That way OpenCore will inject ones or the others depending on if you are booting Big Sur (or older) or Monterey.

Thanks man! I followed your guide and can confirm that the macOS 12 Monterey upgrade went great! Did you revert back your previous config.plist changes after upgrading? Does the quirks we enabled have any side-effects?

  • Like 1
On 7/16/2021 at 7:08 PM, Andrw0380 said:

Thanks man! I followed your guide and can confirm that the macOS 12 Monterey upgrade went great! Did you revert back your previous config.plist changes after upgrading? Does the quirks we enabled have any side-effects?

I didn't revert back, but I tried disabling some quirks and also testing with another machine, same exact model, updating from Big Sur to Monterey too. I found out that "AllowRelocationBlock" is NOT needed. But the other two are. And I haven't found side effects from the quirks, except that you can't wake the system is it goes to sleep, but that's caused by TSCAdjutsReset, we need an updated CpuTscSync working for Monterey to solve that.

  • Like 1
×
×
  • Create New...