Need help with Windows 10 on separate SSD and OpenCore

mengshi

10 posts in this topic

I have read Dortania's Installing UEFI Windows 10 section but I can;t get mine to work.

I want to install Windows 10 on a SEPARATE SSD to my OSX installation and still retain the ability to switch the OS using Bootcamp.

Is it possible?

I follow the instructions on creating the Windows USB installer as well as preparing the SSD for Windows 10. The difference is the description is for OSX and Windows on the SAME disk. I think that is the crux.

Can someone please guide me through?

Interestingly, opencore Bootpicker does not see Windows 10 USB installer....

I thought the whole exercise is for the installer to be identified via the UEFI route rather than the BIOS route. I have done the above previously and Windows installed ok but the updates lead to a screw up. I selected 64-bit UEFI from the Windows installer using the above method. A recent Windows update one cocked up something and won't allow a boot into Windows or it needed recovery which was unrecoverable. I was hoping this UEFI from the Bootpicker way may be a solution.

Edited by mengshi

you need to unplug your mac ssd first. Then install windows 10 on the other ssd. (because on install windows sees the mac EFI Partiton and not make its own efi. which it needs to be seen by opencore bootloader

4 minutes ago, BALDY_MAN said:

you need to unplug your mac ssd first. Then install windows 10 on the other ssd. (because on install windows sees the mac EFI Partiton and not make its own efi. which it needs to be seen by opencore bootloader

I had this set up nicely using above method but a recent Windows update somehow screws this up (the Windows part)....OSX part ok and Windows won't boot and asks for recovery. So the question is: Is it ok to use the opencore bootpicker  to boot into the selected OSs ? I have come across some opencore related videos on YouTube abnd they're using the BIOS boot selection method !

BTW, I also have LauncherOption = full.

7 hours ago, Allan said:

Don't forget that if you use OC to boot Windows, OC will inject all the patches for macOS on Windows or any other SO.

Hint: https://github.com/dortania/OpenCore-Install-Guide/tree/master/clover-conversion#optional-avoiding-smbios-injection-into-other-oses

You can always use F12 to choose the Windows partition and boot.

Looks like I have to do this for the moment. How does this affect LauncherOption=full etc?? I get a bit confused. 

I might try the above after I sort out those "install Windows in UEFI-GPT" mode issues. I can't get this done unless I have Windows.

Someone needs to write a better guide.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/6/2021 at 7:14 AM, mengshi said:

I have read Dortania's Installing UEFI Windows 10 section but I can;t get mine to work.

I want to install Windows 10 on a SEPARATE SSD to my OSX installation and still retain the ability to switch the OS using Bootcamp.

Is it possible?

I follow the instructions on creating the Windows USB installer as well as preparing the SSD for Windows 10. The difference is the description is for OSX and Windows on the SAME disk. I think that is the crux.

Can someone please guide me through?

Interestingly, opencore Bootpicker does not see Windows 10 USB installer....

You have numerous options.

Note the multibooting and windows sections here:

https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/346639-updated-tips-and-observations-for-big-sur-and-monterey-b2/