GPU/VMEM stuck to full speed when 2nd display connected

stooovie

12 posts in this topic

RX 580/i9 10850k on Asus Z490-p, Big Sur 11.1, OC 0.6.5. When 2nd display is connected (DP or HDMI), there's no power management on the GPU. It's stuck at max frequencies (1340/2000 MHz) at all time. With only one display connected, it downclocks properly up to 300/300.

Tried Radeonboost.kext to no avail (it did help with this issue earlier in Catalina).

Any tips? Thanks!
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, @Hervé

Thank you for your response

7 hours ago, Hervé said:

I think it's a common thing and probably not an anomaly at all;

Yes, maybe this is normal for macos. I don't have any real mac for comparison. But in comparison with Windows its look absolutely abnormal

Spoiler

362826807_ScreenShot2021-02-16at20_28_16.png.2e247ab625a0b0d9121090d37d0d7342.pngHWMonitor_macOS.png.0adc848713c2b3e210fcfb34e0039b2c.pngGPU-Z_Win10.gif.67304602be8c2f8bb9c8a41db5c80557.gif

7 hours ago, Hervé said:

I observed the exact same behaviour (with HWMonitor) on my old Dell Latitude D630 with nVidia Tesla GPU everytime I connected a second screen. Not the same with Intel iGPUs, I checked with Intel PowerGadget.

Probably only applies to AMD graphic cards. I tried different monitoring utilities and I have no reason not to trust these values

P.S. All my posts are translated by Google, so sorry if something is wrong:worried_anim:

Edited by yapan4

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/16/2021 at 7:02 PM, yapan4 said:

Hello, @Hervé

Thank you for your response

Yes, maybe this is normal for macos. I don't have any real mac for comparison. But in comparison with Windows its look absolutely abnormal

Reveal hidden contents

362826807_ScreenShot2021-02-16at20_28_16.png.2e247ab625a0b0d9121090d37d0d7342.pngHWMonitor_macOS.png.0adc848713c2b3e210fcfb34e0039b2c.pngGPU-Z_Win10.gif.67304602be8c2f8bb9c8a41db5c80557.gif

Probably only applies to AMD graphic cards. I tried different monitoring utilities and I have no reason not to trust these values

P.S. All my posts are translated by Google, so sorry if something is wrong:worried_anim:

Yes it's a common problem. Even in Windows.

Seems there no solution.

My observations are different. When second monitor is used, the GPU clock does go up & down based on load but the VRAM clock is fixed at 2000Mhz.

@mitch_de's AMD GPU Menue App that displays the GPU performance in the Menu bar.

• Like 1

@MacNB

No, on Windows 10 I have a normal speedstep for VRAM and it confuses me. 

And another difference in my case - in macOS after falling asleep and waking up VRAM clock remains at maximum.

Where can i find AMD GPU Menu app for download?

Thank you.

Edited by yapan4

1 hour ago, yapan4 said:

@MacNB

No, on Windows 10 I have a normal speedstep for VRAM and it confuses me. 

And another difference in my case - in macOS after falling asleep and waking up VRAM clock remains at maximum.

Where can i find AMD GPU Menu app for download?

Thank you.

Windows behaviour for me is same as macOS. So it's probably GPU specific. I have Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580.

I got the Menue App from Tm's site here.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MacNB said:

So it's probably GPU specific. I have Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580.

Or driver specific. I have WX4100 and drivers for professional graphics cards.

Someone else will say that it also depends on the monitors 2K, 4K, etc...  But here is such a funny situation - you can connect a switched off second monitor and see the same result.

Edited by yapan4

28 minutes ago, Hervé said:

That's because, even if the monitor is switched off, the graphics card/GPU can still sense the connected cable.

I agree. But that's no reason to add money to my electricity bill:)

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Hervé said:

That's because, even if the monitor is switched off, the graphics card/GPU can still sense the connected cable/device and you'd probably see the 2nd monitor in apps such as Display Menu or in About This Mac/Display Preferences.

Sorry @Hervé , sorry all. This effect was on my old config with FirePro W5000, FirePro W7100 and dual Apple 20" Aluminium connected over DP to DVI adapters. MacOS was older too. On current config I can't reproduce that. So. I hurried to announce it without checking, ignore please.

Everything else remains the same but now I begin to doubt since I am the only user with a positive result on Windows 10. Need more statistics on the same, similar and other configurations, Mac and Hackintosh, Windows and macOS, etc...

Spoiler

Screen Shot 2021-03-05 at 20.36.08.png

Spoiler

Screenshot 2021-03-06 101828.png

Edited by yapan4