12 posts in this topic

That's quite a statement to make, but a "carbon copy" it ain't! You may consult the Clover discussion topic to educate yourself re: recent versions of Clover and its developments regarding Big Sur.

• 2 weeks later...

Differences between Clover and OpenCore: https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Install-Guide/why-oc.html

Clover has not really become a copy of OpenCore but the OpenRuntime.efi which is configurable through the Quirks section is replacing the AptioMemoryFixes which are not working for Big Sur.

Clover still has some features which OpenCore doesn't have. Like TGT bridge which is really useful on Laptops and a lot of other features where you just have to tick one box whereas in OpenCore, you have to create an SSDT for it. Clover also has a Powerful Boot Menu with a lot of features which like changing boot-args on the fly or selecting from various config files. OpenCore doesn't have since it tries to be Vanilla as possible. And booting windows from within Clover is less problematic than with OC since it doesn't pass patches through to Windows.

On the other hand, a system based on OpenCore feels snappier and smoother than the same one configured with Clover. Especially on lower end machines you can feel it. And most important: OpenCore has an incredible Documentation and Configuration Guides for almost every CPU Family which is supported by macOS and even AMD CPUs. For Clover, the current documentation is completely in russian with no official guides at all.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
3 hours ago, BuXb said:

Also a good one and last time edited 2020-10: GUIDE: Creating a basic Clover config.plist for booting macOS on Intel Desktops

Looks solid. But I think most of the rename patches are unnecessary nowadays since being handled by kexts. There's also a laptop guide availabel. And also Guides for OpenCore. But these feel more like copy pastes from the dortania guide.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, 5T33Z0 said:

But these feel more like copy pastes from the dortania guide.

ah yes, the dortania guides were online as early as 2018??? Question

I must have missed a lot of things in the last 12 years... today it seems that first came the "guides" dortaniae then the rest of the world hack

• Confused 1

it is obvious that the dortania guide being more recent, more kept up with the news, is now preferable; but the way you wrote, it looked like in 2018 they had copied and pasted from the dortania guide, when it had not yet been written.

11 hours ago, BuXb said:

Also a good one and last time edited 2020-10: GUIDE: Creating a basic Clover config.plist for booting macOS on Intel Desktops

Good guides. The only problem I am having with thees is, that all the important Quirks concerning the Kernel are not translated back into "clover" naming conventions. And these are the quirks which matter the most. One wrong check mark on these suckers and the computer won't boot.  You wont find any of these quirks for the kernel in your clover configurator because a) they are in a differnet location and b) have different names altogether. I mean the author could have taken the time to translate the names back for Clover just like I did in my Clover Update guide, to avoid a lot of headaches.

Edited by 5T33Z0
  • Like 1