(SOLVED) Big Sur with Opencore 0.6.2 on Asus X99

rvilbert

18 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I have been trying to install Big sur on Opencore and i believe i'm almost there but i get stuck on a grey screen with my mouse pointer just before i can see the installer screen.

I have applied the various SSDT patches for X99. I thought that was linked to VirtualSMC which I replaced by FakeSMC but same issue. I also declared my graphic card in config.plist as i thought it could come from there but that's not the issue (Radeon RX 570).

I have been scratching my head for some time now. Any idea from anyone please.

I have attached my EFI folder and my ioreg extract. Let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks a million.

My config:

Asus X99 Deluxe

Core-i7 5960x

Radeon RX 570

@RemB

@jmacie

I would appreciate your help please. Any views of what could be wrong? Thanks a lot

OpenCore 0.6.2 for X99 BIG SUR.zip

X99 iMac Pro.ioreg.zip

@rvilbert So far I have not been able to install. But, I have succeeded in booting an already installed BigSur partition from a different successful hackintosh. I have tried a few things, but I'm so burnt out and tired from failing these last two+ months, that I'm satisfied with what I have for now. In looking at your efi, I would try unchecking any kexts not absolutely necessary to booting ( I eliminated wifi and bluetooth kexts on mine, for the moment, I found they were hanging up my boot time, kinda similar to removing ram sticks or using a different video card output to get earlier installs going. just to get booted up),maybe uncheck that rtc patch in acpi which you already have a new ssdt patch for in acpi. I also take out those xpcm kernel patches in Kernel,as opencore has that builtin, also dsdt in acpi is not necessary in opencore, according to Dortania. I disabled above 4G decoding in Bios, although I'm not sure about that, It was one of those many tiny changes I did over the months failing to get booted up, because I read something in Dortania about it being better not to use it if not absolutely necessary. But that last point could be wrong. I'm guessing you have a patched cfg or your board allows you to disable cfg in Bios, as you have them unchecked in quirks. The rest of the quirks are the same as mine, so that's something, but like I said in the beginning,I can't get a straight usb install yet, but I'm good for now. Good Luck, maybe RemB (our savior!) can enlighten.

Edited by jmacie

Thank you @jmaciefor your response. As per your advise i removed most of the kexts and kept only the necessary ones and I have tried a few things but i end up at the same point where i see the apple logo with the progress bar going to 90% and then i get a grey screen and nothing happen (i actually can see the installer menu bar for a 1/4 of a second and then the grey screen).

Interestingly i had tried to boot without my patched DSDT file as i should not need it with Opencore but without it i get stuck at "apfs_module start". Not sure really why but i pass that point with the DSDT so i kept it. The thing which i'm not clear are all the various options that you can enable/disable in config.plist which to be honest i copied from yours and which work in Catalina but i have no clue whether i need to disable some of them for Big Sur.

I will continue digging... maybe at some point someone will face the same problem and will post the answer...

Thanks a lot for taking the time to help.

Cheers

• Like 1

11 hours ago, rvilbert said:

Thank you @jmaciefor your response. As per your advise i removed most of the kexts and kept only the necessary ones and I have tried a few things but i end up at the same point where i see the apple logo with the progress bar going to 90% and then i get a grey screen and nothing happen (i actually can see the installer menu bar for a 1/4 of a second and then the grey screen).

Interestingly i had tried to boot without my patched DSDT file as i should not need it with Opencore but without it i get stuck at "apfs_module start". Not sure really why but i pass that point with the DSDT so i kept it. The thing which i'm not clear are all the various options that you can enable/disable in config.plist which to be honest i copied from yours and which work in Catalina but i have no clue whether i need to disable some of them for Big Sur.

I will continue digging... maybe at some point someone will face the same problem and will post the answer...

Thanks a lot for taking the time to help.

Cheers

@rvilbert  I found one main problem. In the ssdt-rtc0 from Opencore you're using. You have to change the path to match the rtc in YOUR dsdt. The path you have in your dsdt is SB.PCI0.LPC0. In the OC ssdt-rtc0-range patch it's SB.PC00.LPC0. You have to change those three paths, which I have changed and included below

SSDT-RTC0-RANGE.aml

Edited by jmacie

Thank you @jmacie and sorry for my late reply.

I had noticed that the device was not correct and made the changes but unfortunately it did not help.

However i managed to make some progress which in a way is positive.... I managed to get to the installer and start the installer but unfortunately my computer restarts roughly half way through and it looks like this is coming from Diskarbitration which send a SIGKILL.

I have attached my EFI which helped me to boot. Thanks to @MaLd0n who helped me by providing a SSDT which I completed to be able to boot. I believe i should be able to rationalise this but after a few attempts i kept crashing so for now i stay like that and i'm going to try fixing the Diskarbitration issue.

Not sure if this is helpful to you but i least i thought i should share this.

Let's keep digging and take care.

R

EFI.zip

• 2 weeks later...

@jmacie at the end i managed to install Big Sur. I took a different root as i kept being stuck at the same point.

Not sure if this help but the following guide from @MaLd0n helped me a lot.. Given I had already built a USB boot drive then it became quite easy.

https://www.olarila.com/topic/8977-guide-installrestore-bigsur-with-opencore/

For people who are still struggling, please get in touch if you need some info.

My machine is:

Asus X99 Deluxe

Core i7 5960X

Radeon RX 570

Take care!

• Like 1

@sucosaigon

I had the same problem and it drived me nuts. I never managed to find the issue.

At the end i followed the restore guide from Mald0n mentioned in my previous post. That allowed me to have a bootable Big Sur Beta 5 install which I then updated to Beta 10 and now to 11.0.1. I boot with Opencore 0.6.3 with the EFI attached.

Hope this will work for you.

EFI.zip

• Like 1

Thank you rvilbert for responding quickly.

Yes. I have had the same experience. However, I have done differently.

I installed bigsur on SSD with VMWARE Fusion (wishing to do it on my NVMe, but I don't know HOW). Then from SDD bigsur, I install it on my NVMe without any problem.

As I said before, I'd like to install bigsur from USB to my NVme .... unfortunately, NOT NOW. 

Some members suggested to boot without "npci=0x2000 and alcid=x" (they said they succeeded) .... but you may have experienced it: without npci=0x2000, x99 motherboards will be stucked with "pci configuration begins."

That is my problem now. Hoping we will tackle it soon. Thanks.

Hi @sucosaigon, in my experience the 'PCI Configuration begins' has been linked with the definition of my configuration/devices in my DSDT / SSDT files. Have you patched your SSDT? You will see in my EFI that i needed to add a few patches in:

SSDT-EC-USBX.aml

SSDT-PLUG.aml

SSDT-RTC0-RANGE.aml

SSDT-UNC.aml

Given that we have the same config i would suspect that you will need the same patches. You may need to check that your devices are called in the same way using IORegistryExplorer.app (e.g. PCI0 instead of PC00)

Good luck

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/31/2020 at 10:15 PM, rvilbert said:

@jmacie at the end i managed to install Big Sur. I took a different root as i kept being stuck at the same point.

Not sure if this help but the following guide from @MaLd0n helped me a lot.. Given I had already built a USB boot drive then it became quite easy.

https://www.olarila.com/topic/8977-guide-installrestore-bigsur-with-opencore/

For people who are still struggling, please get in touch if you need some info.

My machine is:

Asus X99 Deluxe

Core i7 5960X

Radeon RX 570

Take care!

@rvilbert Do you happen to still have a copy of the dmg provided in that tutorial, because both links are dead?

Edited by Wirk

Hi @Wirk, have you tried to log on with your Google drive account? If you only click on the link it won't work. You need to log on your google drive.

Watch the video at this link which explain how to do it.

https://www.olarila.com/topic/9679-olarila-big-sur-beta-5-vanilla-image-restore-mode-easy-way-opencore/

Take care.

• 4 months later...

@rvilbert hi! Thanx for sharing your EFI! I have same setup: Asus X99 Deluxe and i7 5960x. I'm running Big Sur 11.2 (20D64) pretty fine, except my Power Management... CPU always hot and stays on max frequency. Please, can you tell me more about how to set up PM on this rig? And what bios settings for processor you are using? Big thanks in advance!

• 10 months later...
On 11/1/2020 at 6:34 PM, rvilbert said:

@sucosaigon

I had the same problem and it drived me nuts. I never managed to find the issue.

At the end i followed the restore guide from Mald0n mentioned in my previous post. That allowed me to have a bootable Big Sur Beta 5 install which I then updated to Beta 10 and now to 11.0.1. I boot with Opencore 0.6.3 with the EFI attached.

Hope this will work for you.

EFI.zip

Hi, I'm having the same problem on identical hardware to you: with the reboot at 12 minutes remaining then keeps relooping at apple logo. I see the links to the solution above  point to downloading a Big Sur Beta in order to navigate this problem, however I'm trying to install Monterey. Did you figure out a solution to installing Monterey and avoiding the 12 min problem? I'm using OpenCore 0.7.7 and have followed the opencore guide very closely :) Thanks for your help!