MacOS Big Sur - Instant Kernel Panic on X99 Board

Chibibowa

27 posts in this topic

Hello folks

I'm trying to install MacOS Big Sur from USB and I get an instant kernel panic. MacOS Catalina boots fine (with the same EFI folder).

Image and EFI.zip included.

Configuration

ASUS X99-A (2011-3)

Intel Core i7 5960X

AMD Radeon VII

Latest kexts freshly compiled.

OC Version 0.6.0 (Release version).

EFI+Logs.zip

IMG_0210.jpg

Edited by Chibibowa

• 2 weeks later...

I kinda forgot about this post, sorry.

I did not manage to fix the issue, nullcpu kext didn't work either. I think it is due to my platform, X99 is a pain in the ass to deal with.

The panic is always the same and happens always at the same boot phase. There is definitely something up.

Guess I'll have to wait before trying big sur :(

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I spent weeks, seriously weeks trying every little combination of things to get my x99 working with BigSur. I read this section, and if you re-read it you will find that the directions are for x299. There are no specific directions for x99. So we wait and hope. I asked @vit9696 for help, but they ignore me. I understand this chipset is old, but there are still many x99s around, so someone will answer this problem definitively when BigSur is released.until then we beg

In all seriousness tho. If someone is a genius, here is a txt of my exact ACPI tables. You should find all the required info there.

DSL code (that is "supposed" to work for X99 systems as well, even if it's not explicitely said): https://github.com/acidanthera/OpenCorePkg/blob/master/Docs/AcpiSamples/SSDT-RTC0-RANGE.dsl

Kernel panic can be found at the top of this post (CR2 Error: 0x000...20)

Hit me up if you need anything else. Because this is beyond my level of expertise, not gonna lie.

ACPI Tables - ASUS X99-A.txt

(PS: Tables dropped with Read Write Utility: http://rweverything.com/)

Here is what I got for RTC (for your convenience):

Device(RTC)
                {
                    Name(_HID, EISAID("PNP0B00"))
                    Name(_CRS, ResourceTemplate()
                    {
                        IO(Decode16, 0x0070, 0x0070, 0x01, 0x02)
                        IO(Decode16, 0x0074, 0x0074, 0x01, 0x04)
                        IRQNoFlags() {8}
                    })
                }

--

I believe the RTC file from Opencore is incompatible with the X99 platform, hence why we are the last people who need this to be fixed. Even AMD users can get Big Sur to work !

PS: https://github.com/acidanthera/bugtracker/issues/1134

Translation: "Go {censored} yourself"

• Like 1

2all, we are aware of X99 issues on Big Sur from b1. They are caused by IOPCIFamily device enumeration changes. It is not clear what exactly is causing the issue without the hardware and the new source code release for IOPCIFamily. At the moment we have no plans to investigate this in the near future.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

What about a kext rollback?

better idea:

i think that this issue should be solvable using a kext patch on the bootloader side, but this needs someone to do some reverse-engeneering on the kext to at least locate the piece of code causing the system to trigger the kernel panic and then patching that.

other idea:

About dsdt is there anything we can do inside of it to change device enumeration and related stuff?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update the problem is with IOPCIFamily after extensive testing and that rtc patch will do extly nothing for this problem, since thereisn't any source code releases for big sur someone need to disassemble IOPCIFamily and look for the symbols that gives us the problem, and also IOPCIFamily needs to be debugged to see which ACPI device triggers those function calls leading to the panic.

EDIT: for all the people here try also the actually read the kenrel panic log before starting to reccommend solutions, the cause of the panic is actually there in the panic log most of the time, is especially usefoul to have symbols enbled so you see preciselyh what's going on in the stack

Edited by ITzTravelInTime
  • Like 1

It never worked, since beta 1, but on catalina it works fine, it also has been changed quite a lot by apple.

Anyway what is mostly needed now is a debug of it or of AppleACPIPlatform since the kp is the result of a device initlization made by AppleACPIPlatform which initializes an IOPCIBridge object which then is started and during the start the panic is called reguard one of the function about reding pci registers or pci capabilityes.

This is the source code for catalina if you want to take a look https://opensource.apple.com/source/IOPCIFamily/IOPCIFamily-370.141.1/

Hi, I don't know if this could help, but I have the same kernel panic with Big Sur on an X79. The strange thing is that the same kernel panic occurs also with High Sierra, but every other macOS version supported by my SMBIOS (MacPro6,1) works just fine. I have saved the kernel panic message if someone needs it in a text file, I'm attaching it here.

Kernel panic Big Sur.rtf

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've crated a parch for C602 ,it may works on other X79.

DSDT UNC0 _HID to XHID
Find: 554E43 30085F48 4944
Replace: 554E43 30085848 4944

DSDT UNC1 _HID to XHID
Find: 554E43 31085F48 4944
Replace: 554E43 31085848 4944

UNC1 related to dual socket but I've think that there is not big problem.

For X99 should use 
ssdt-unc from OpenCore github.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I Have the Same problem in x79 (Sandy Bridge-E). I'm try a SSDT-UNC in OpenCore 0.6.2 but it didn't solve it. Clover r5125 also did not work. Stuck in:

IMG_0149.thumb.jpeg.5053e893c3a7cb4e822641f77b4b007f.jpeg

I don't know if this will help anyone, but I realized that in order to have Power Management working well on Catalina, I need the following Patch: both in Clover and OC.

1968118455_CapturadeTela2020-10-24s15_20_09.thumb.png.0ef8754e2078066a9074eecdd5f44526.png

I hope there are improvements for the x79 and x99 on BigSur.

If anyone knows more news, please tell us.