[SOLVED?] Audio crashes after installing RX580 (10.15.4 kabylake)

Tristana

17 posts in this topic

Hello, and thank you for your help!

Ever since installing my new Sapphire Radeon Pulse RX580, I've been having issues with audio freezing up for the whole system- seemingly the coreaudiod process crashing / my USB audio interface not working. It feels random but seems to correlate with playing youtube videos, streaming audio in Finder, playing sound files from chat clients like Telegram/Discord and such. The system otherwise works as normal, with only audio related functions breaking. Sometimes instead of a full freeze / crash, the sample rate of audio will just drop significantly, causing a lot of aliasing.

I followed this guide here, though it is outdated and some KEXTs have been merged with WhateverGreen. The shikigva=4 & -rad4200 boot arguments weren't available in WhateverGreen so I didn't add any boot arguments.
https://hackintosher.com/guides/fix-rendering-issues-fcpx-high-sierra/

My issue was not fixed by this. I also learned that USBInjectAll hadn't been given a custom SSDT and so I made one, which I have included at the end of this post. I also disabled the 15 port patch which had been left on. My USB ports now show up properly (though I've excluded my mobo's type-c port to meet the 15 port limit). My audio issues still have not been fixed, though.

On High Sierra, the crash was irrecoverable- opening sound in system prefs just froze up, and I have to reset the system to get audio back. In Catalina, I seem to be able to choose a different audio device then go back to my external interface to reset the driver and get sound back.

Thank you for any help / ideas you can offer!

UPDATE: Issue still persists. I'm now using a USBPorts.kext created by Hackintool and have updated my list of current kexts below.

System:

macOS 10.15.4 High Sierra
core i5 7600k Kaby-lake @ stock 3.8ghz
ASRock Z270M Pro4
16 GB DDR4 2400mhz (Mushkin 2x8gbs)
Sapphire Radeon Pulse RX 580 8GB GDDR5
be quiet! 500w PSU

MOTU Ultralite mk4 USB audio interface

Kexts:

Kexts:
Display-1e6d-5b7f.kext
FakePCIID_Intel_HD_Graphics.kext
FakePCIID.kext
FakeSMC.kext
IntelMausiEthernet.kext
Lilu.kext
USBPorts.kext
WhateverGreen.kext

XHCI-unsupported.kext

Edited by Tristana
//updated current situation

Are you running Clover or OC OS X? also if you tailored your USB ports to the 15 limit why are you still using USBInjectAll.kext, use Hackintool to map and produce a kext and a SSDT file which is much better.

1 minute ago, eSaF said:

Are you running Clover or OC OS X? also if you tailored your USB ports to the 15 limit why are you still using USBInjectAll.kext, use Hackintool to map and produce a kext and a SSDT file which is much better.

Clover.

Hadn't heard of using hackintool, I'll look into it! What's the advantage over the USBInjectAll method?

1 hour ago, Hervé said:

USBInjectAll is no longer sufficent. Hackintool comes to complement it as it fully detects and fully defines the computer's set of USB ports. It generates a USBPorts kext and a SSDT-UAIC.aml table. You then either use USBInjectAll kext + SSDT-UIAC.aml table or USBPorts on its own (and with USBInjectAll).

I'm using USBInjectAll kext + SSDT-UIAC.aml currently, the SSDT-UIAC compiled in MaciASL using the SSDT I quoted above. Are you saying Hackintool would yield a different SSDT-UIAC.aml?

4 hours ago, Tristana said:

I'm using USBInjectAll kext + SSDT-UIAC.aml currently, the SSDT-UIAC compiled in MaciASL using the SSDT I quoted above. Are you saying Hackintool would yield a different SSDT-UIAC.aml?

Ok if your SSDT-UIAC is compiled correctly then you shouldn't be having any problems as far as your sound is concerned I don't think. What will cause possible problems is an out of date AppleALC.kext or an incorrect codec value, but I suspect you being a Sound Designer/Engineer you would have those covered.

Download Hackintool, it will give you a lot of useful info about your rig and will sometimes offer repairs or solutions.

Screenshot 2020-05-19 at 23.41.08.png

4 minutes ago, eSaF said:

Ok if your SSDT-UIAC is compiled correctly then you shouldn't be having any problems as far as your sound is concerned I don't think. What will cause possible problems is an out of date AppleALC.kext or an incorrect codec value, but I suspect you being a Sound Designer/Engineer you would have those covered.

Is AppleALC.kext relevant to using an external USB audio interface? For what it's worth, the AppleALC.kext I have installed + this USB audio interface (Ultralite mk4) worked fine for years, it wasn't until I put in my RX580 that this audio crashing issue started occurring. 

I have no use for onboard audio or HDMI audio; I've tried disabling onboard to see if it'd help the issue, but to no avail. Not sure how to go about disabling HDMI audio if possible or if that'd even help.

To be honest I only use onboard sound which relies on the AppleALC.kext, Here's a thought since you're using an independent sound unit, have you tried disabling the p/c sound card in the BIOS and see what results you get. To my layman's mind you could be getting a conflict between the onboard and the builtin one. One person that could possibly help with your query is Audiogod, post your query on his Thread and he will try his upmost to provide you with a solution. Good luck.

Yep, I tried disabling onboard sound in my BIOS but it didn't help.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll pop them a message!

I've removed AppleALC and will see how it goes.

Unsure if this is related, but it does relate to USB: I tried plugging in a USB3 external drive into various ports, and it'd show up in Disk Utility but not mount. Concurrent to this, mouse movements started to become choppy- and the same for Youtube video streaming. This is still leading me to guess that there is some USB related memory issue behind all of this, but it could be a red herring.

Audio dropped out with a keypress which lead me to still believe in my hunch that the problem is USB related.

I noticed these patches were leftover from the person who helped me set up this Hackintosh originally, and I have removed them:

AppleAHCIPort 45787465 726E616C | 496E7465 726E616C
AppleAHCIPort 4585F60F 95C289C8 83E0FE66 85C9780F 84D2750B | 89C883E0 FE6685C9 0F98C141 08CC9090 9090750B
AppleAHCIPort 89C82540 6002003D 40200000 750C81E1 BF7FFFFF 898B5101 0000 | 90909090 90909090 90909090 90909090 90909090 90909090 9090
AppleUSBXHCIPCI 837D8C10 | 837D8C7F
AppleUSBXHCIPCI 83BD74FF FFFF10 | 83BD74FF FFFF1B

^perhaps these were the causes of my issues all along? There had been an additional patch that mirrored what I'd seen for High Sierra all USB patching that I had removed, but I've only just removed these. Unsure if any are necessary for other parts of my system, but the last two mention USBXHCI and perhaps are what have been the source of my problems?

Additionally, instead of using USBInjectAll.kext + a modified template compiled into an SSDT-UIAC.aml, I used Hackintool to create a custom USBPorts.kext, only excluding my type-C port to meet the 15 limit.

Fingers crossed something here will have solved the issue, only time will tell!

ANNNND Not solved!

Went to record some audio in Ableton Live 10 and the whole system dropped its sample rate.

Interestingly, when I turned off my USB Audio Interface, macOS claimed that I had improperly ejected my external hard drive (a different Toshiba device that was also plugged in).

Any ideas? This is a really troublesome problem for someone doing audio work.

Edited by Tristana

Now I've noticed something really weird.

I'd gone into the BIOS to disable all USB ports not actually in use by my system. After doing so, I saved, loaded into the OS, and noticed my mouse wasn't working.

Now, USB3 Port2- which the mouse was plugged into, and had been working fine prior- doesn't even appear in the BIOS as a port to enable/disable o.o This brings me to 13 active ports; I could reenable the type-c for both usb2+usb3 and be at my 15 port limit, while blocking off that USB3 Port2 from being used. Maybe a faulty port was the culprit this whole time??

Disabling USB ports has not fixed it. Once more had the downsampling occur while working in a different audio editor. :-/

Edited by Tristana

Sorry for all the spam in my own thread but I figure giving updates will help narrow the problem further.

The crash where the audio starts sounding really aliased happened again, this time while clicking in Izotope RX7.

Shutting down my audio interface to reset it lead to ALL of my USB ports dropping out. Every USB device still got power- but seemingly no data was transferring. My mouse had lights on but wouldn't move the cursor; my MIDI keyboard started flashing all its lights like it does when the computer is booting. I had to do a system restart to fix it.

Hello,

By your descriptions it sounds to me like either your usb is setup incorrectly and not receiving the correct power table or is setup wrong.

if it’s not that then it’s probably an error within your EFI.

Now if you want to use clover then the best thing I can surgest you do is get a new EFI and DSDT created for your board and setup by the genius that is MaLd0n.

If you want to do that then go to hes sister site and put in a request with him here.

To Create Your Own Patched DSDT Message @MaLd0n using the link bellow

https://www.olarila.com/forum/17-dsdt-patch-requests/

Or send me your EFI and il take a look at it for you but my skills are nothing compared to MaLd0ns and he will do you a more complete solution via a DSDT.

Your other option would be to use OpenCore instead but your have to do a good bit of reading to learn how it works from here and you might very well encounter or end up with the same usb problems.

https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Desktop-Guide/config.plist/kaby-lake.html

Edited by AudioGod

MaLd0n did my initial setup and it worked flawlessly for years! Wasn't until installing this RX580 that my problems began with it. I'll see what he's up to.

Here's the EFI, I just deleted the SN from the config.plist before sharing as I think that's good practice IIRC?

Tristana-EFI.zip

• 9 months later...