HP EliteBook 840G2 with Opencore 0.5.7/Catalina 10.15.4 can't boot first install

LucAndersen

135 posts in this topic

I am hoping to have some time over this weekend to try to get my HP840 G2 upgraded to BS 11.3, ideally with the latest release of OpenCore. Has anyone tried it yet? And had a success?

I can see that there are a number of changes in the latest release of OpenCore and I need to work through what impact they will have on the current configuration that we are using.

On 2/24/2021 at 7:04 PM, Axon_80 said:

@acetuk

I don't use opencanopy and don't even know it didn't work, but I fixed it. I always modify the keyboard so that it works like in windows and it does not matter to me that the ALT key and windows kay are changed.

Sorry I haven't had chance to post a reply - your changes worked perfectly and opencanopy is working. I made a small tweak in macOS directly to get the keys back to how I had been using them and the device has been very stable ever since.

A quick update from my work tonight. 

I updated all of the kext other than the Voodoo set to the latest versions. BS 11.2.3 continued to boot as expected.

I then used the latest version of SuperDuper (3.5.1 beta) to clone my main drive. I put my EFI folder on to that drive, put it in my HP840 and it booted fine. 

Using that drive I successfully upgraded to BS 11.3 without any issues. I put my main hard drive back in to my HP840 and also upgraded that without issue. 

I haven’t tested things too far but the laptop boots fine, wifi etc. is working and the device feels snappy. 

This was all using OpenCore 0.6.7. Now that I have my device fully up to date I can see if OC 0.6.8 is an easy step to take. I fear not. 

• 3 weeks later...

First of all, thanks @Axon_80 for your EFI, I was able to boot my 840 G2 machine to OS 11.3.1

But I'm facing a couple of issues:

- Machine can't sleep cuz it won't wake up

- Losing trackpad after sleep, and it took several boots to get it working again (honestly I don't even know why it works again)

- Boot time is longer than usual. I'm using SSD and boot time with previous OS aka High Sierra was significantly fast.

Thanks all members for your help and contributions.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

This is the efi file of my previous 840 G2 computer, I was using it with monterey. You can try.

Monterey and Ventura running :)

CPUFriendDataProvider.kext remove it...

The CPUFriendDataProvider.kext file is set for the i5 5th generation processor.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lK1wNwCDywHjTwnHz2SIFtBrI44LZqjE/view?usp=sharing

Edited by aufuk1

• 4 months later...
On 7/25/2022 at 8:34 PM, aufuk1 said:

This is the efi file of my previous 840 G2 computer, I was using it with monterey. You can try.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lK1wNwCDywHjTwnHz2SIFtBrI44LZqjE/view?usp=sharing

Works great on my hp 810 g3 with a few modifications Especially power management which I could not get to go down to lowest setting 800

Does not boot with Monterey but working great with Mojave  and Bigsur.

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/25/2022 at 9:34 PM, aufuk1 said:

hello, is this for intel wifi ?

if i have the the i5 5200 i do not have to remove nothing, wright ?

allso witch kexts to remove if do not have the intele wifi and have the broadcom one

thank you