HP EliteBook 840G2 with Opencore 0.5.7/Catalina 10.15.4 can't boot first install

LucAndersen

135 posts in this topic

Hello guys,

I managed to update @Axon_80 s EFI files to new OpenCore format.

• New config.plist created based on OpenCore 0.6.1 also compatible with 0.6.2
  • Unnecessary kexts and drivers are removed
  • Boot time significantly increased
  • This EFI is configured for integrated Intel Wifi card with AirportItlwm.kext. Native Wifi and Airport supported. For Broadcom use included kexts for broadcom in KEXTs folder.
  • No issue with sleep and wake functions.
  • All the kexts are updated (21.09.2020)
  • Full secureboot with apECID support
  • Native-like trackpad support with all gestures.

This EFI is mainly for 820 G2 but also works with 840 G2

Keep in mind that you NEED to change a few things in config.plist in order to get iMessages etc.  ALSO for full secureboot you need to generate an unique apECID for yourself. 

The things that you need to change yourself are marked in red in the screenshot.

In order to create apECID go to https://www.python.org/shell/ and paste the following code. The number that shell prints is your unique apECID number.

import secrets; print(secrets.randbits(64))

image.thumb.png.be36f24695fa5f8e0ff7e453fbc556a5.png

EFI.7z

Edited by erko2001
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Martin Előházy said:

Hello Guys!

I have seen that all the posted EFIs use the old GPU patching method (maybe it can cause some of the sleep-wake issues), and there are some unnecessary hot-patches (mostly cosmetic renames) which are still present in the config plist. 

I share my cleaned up EFI which solve some of these problems.

Compared to the previous EFIs:

• Remove the SSDT-IGPU and the GFX0 to IGPU hot-patch. Since these are handled by WhateverGreen.kext.
  • Add the SSDT-PNLF. Since the SSDT-IGPU also contains the blacklight patch, may it can caused issues when both was present.
  • Add "External (_SB_.PCI0.SBUS, DeviceObj)" into the SSDT-8x0G2b. I just found that it was missing, it can caused power-management issues.
  • Add SSDT-PMC and SSDT-RHUB since neither of them was present.
  • Remove outdated hot-patches like "B0D3 to HDAU", "GBE1 to ETH0", Skylake-patches etc.
  • Use the latest OpenCore 0.6.2 pre-release. Since the driver load issue is solved there's no need any other related driver.
  • Remove unnecessary kexts like ACPIBatteryManager.kext, FakePCIID.kext, SATA-unsupported.kext. Many of these are outdated or there's no use since it's handled by SSDTs.

Need future development:

• VoodooRMI not present, old RehabMan fork in use. Some of the people had issues with that when it was booted from the internal drive. If it worked for you, you can add it.
  • Couldn't solve the conversion to the SSDT-EC, the ACPI paths are messed up with the battery management, so it is still handled by hot-patches and SSDT-8x0G2b.
  • SD-card reader kexts are still under. examination. I was testing some of them and the reading speed wasn't enough good. If you want you can add Sinetek-rtsx.kext or the VoodooSDHC.kext.
  • Huawei 4G modem tested, working, but since not everyone has it I left it out. You can find easy tutorials to activate it.
  • USBInjectAll still present. I had issues to activate the webcam without that. USBMapping still in process.

Side notes:

• My machine is a ZBook 14 G2. It's basically a rebranded EliteBook 840 G2.
  • If you are testing it, don't forget to make your SMBIOS.
  • Please share with me if you had any issues or you have solutions for the problems.

Have a nice day!

EFI.zip

That’s superb, thanks. I’m going to give this a try on both Big Sur and Catalina and will report back.

@Axon_80Hello,

How you managed to get trackpad working after sleep. I couldn't make it work after sleep. I think its something with config.plist but I can't figure it out.

Can you please help??

kexts are
VoodooRMI

VoodooSMBUS

I think the issue is with original appleSMBUS is taking over VoodooSMBUS after sleep. But I'm not sure and even if I am , I don't know how to prevent it from loading after sleep.

On 9/22/2020 at 3:33 AM, acetuk said:

That’s superb, thanks. I’m going to give this a try on both Big Sur and Catalina and will report back.

On 9/22/2020 at 3:29 AM, erko2001 said:

Hello guys,

• This EFI is configured for integrated Intel Wifi card with AirportItlwm.kext. Native Wifi and Airport supported. For Broadcom use included kexts for broadcom in KEXTs folder.

Keep in mind that you NEED to change a few things in config.plist in order to get iMessages etc.  ALSO for full secureboot you need to generate an unique apECID for yourself. 

The things that you need to change yourself are marked in red in the screenshot.

In order to create apECID go to https://www.python.org/shell/ and paste the following code. The number that shell prints is your unique apECID number.

EFI.7z

Can you use iMessage & Facetime?

Because I have tried several ways, so that iMessage can be used, but it always fails

Is there a special method?

7 hours ago, bayunurizky said:

Can you use iMessage & Facetime?

Because I have tried several ways, so that iMessage can be used, but it always fails

Is there a special method?

You must find a unique device serial that not in use and not locked to a device. Then you put the serial number, UUID, MLB and ROM numbers to the config.plist as I show on my previous messages. They are guides for finnding a proper Serial number in order make iMessage etc. working. 

My screenshot is just a guide for where to place them in OpenCore config.plist  .  Once you have done everything necessary, you must register your apple ID and wait for computer to set things up according to new seriakl number and stuff. After then you should be able to use apple specific apps.

On 9/21/2020 at 1:29 PM, erko2001 said:

Hello guys,

EFI.7z

I am very happy.. This EFI works for my HP 840 G2...

Everything works fine but intel wifi..

I don't know how to solve this problem...

Please help..

2 hours ago, xooxl said:

I am very happy.. This EFI works for my HP 840 G2...

Everything works fine but intel wifi..

I don't know how to solve this problem...

Please help..

AirportItlwm.kext needs Apple security in order to work because it uses native wifi support in macos. In order to obtain full Apple security level you need to do what I mentioned in the post. You need to generate an apECID for yourself in the first place. And also you need to populate areas under platform info in order get your hackintosh recognized by Apple servers.

After you set things up you need to go in recovery mod in opencore boot sequence and select starting disk again as Apple does security check when you select a starting disk. Also you need to connect your laptop to internet via ethernet cable while doing so. After than you should be able to use intel wireless with native wifi support.

If you can't manage to do all this things you can use itlwm.kext instead with Heliport app and have your wifi working. But that won't be native wifi.

The link to OpenIntelWireless project is here, you can follow the guides for both methods.

https://github.com/OpenIntelWireless

13 hours ago, erko2001 said:

AirportItlwm.kext needs Apple security in order to work because it uses native wifi support in macos. In order to obtain full Apple security level you need to do what I mentioned in the post. You need to generate an apECID for yourself in the first place. And also you need to populate areas under platform info in order get your hackintosh recognized by Apple servers.

After you set things up you need to go in recovery mod in opencore boot sequence and select starting disk again as Apple does security check when you select a starting disk. Also you need to connect your laptop to internet via ethernet cable while doing so. After than you should be able to use intel wireless with native wifi support.

If you can't manage to do all this things you can use itlwm.kext instead with Heliport app and have your wifi working. But that won't be native wifi.

The link to OpenIntelWireless project is here, you can follow the guides for both methods.

Many thanks for your kindly help..
I will try all your mentioned ways...

Edited by xooxl

13 minutes ago, Axon_80 said:

I use only big sur.

That's really interesting.  I'm still hitting a few common problems and recently one big now one.

To summarise my set up - Catalina is installed on a standard SSD and Big Sur is installed on a SSD in the m.2 slot.  Both Catalina and Big Sur have bootable EFI partitions on them which until now have been a mirror of each other.  I boot from the m.2 drive as priority.  More on that in a moment.

I updated Catalina today to the latest version 10.15.7.  Despite telling it not to macOS seems to have decided to turn FileVault on which stopped my previous EFI from booting the Catalina installation.  Thankfully Big Sur still booted and I was able to test your EFI and it saved the day - Catalina now asks for the FileVault password and Catalina boots. That was a big save!

After playing with the set up recently trying to get Big Sur to work I am now hitting an issue that booting requires me to use F9 at start up, selecting the m.2 drive and then going from there.  If I do that the trackpad works. If I don't do that the trackpad doesn't work.  I have checked the boot order and the m.2 drive is first in both the boot order lists.  So that it really not making any sense to me at all.

Is your Big Sur installation to a standard SSD or to a SSD in the m.2 slot? I am wondering if this is an issue with having both drives installed?  When I try your latest EFI Big Sur boots really quickly, sleeps but still will not recover from sleep.  I just get a black screen.

5 minutes ago, acetuk said:

That's really interesting.  I'm still hitting a few common problems and recently one big now one.

To summarise my set up - Catalina is installed on a standard SSD and Big Sur is installed on a SSD in the m.2 slot.  Both Catalina and Big Sur have bootable EFI partitions on them which until now have been a mirror of each other.  I boot from the m.2 drive as priority.  More on that in a moment.

I updated Catalina today to the latest version 10.15.7.  Despite telling it not to macOS seems to have decided to turn FileVault on which stopped my previous EFI from booting the Catalina installation.  Thankfully Big Sur still booted and I was able to test your EFI and it saved the day - Catalina now asks for the FileVault password and Catalina boots. That was a big save!

After playing with the set up recently trying to get Big Sur to work I am now hitting an issue that booting requires me to use F9 at start up, selecting the m.2 drive and then going from there.  If I do that the trackpad works. If I don't do that the trackpad doesn't work.  I have checked the boot order and the m.2 drive is first in both the boot order lists.  So that it really not making any sense to me at all.

Is your Big Sur installation to a standard SSD or to a SSD in the m.2 slot? I am wondering if this is an issue with having both drives installed?  When I try your latest EFI Big Sur boots really quickly, sleeps but still will not recover from sleep.  I just get a black screen.

My Big Sur installation on a standard SSD. Maybe m.2 disk is the problem?

1 hour ago, Axon_80 said:

My Big Sur installation on a standard SSD. Maybe m.2 disk is the problem?

I'm working on this now.  Firstly though I want to resolve the issue that the trackpad does not work unless I go in to the Bios at boot time.  It seems I can select a few of the boot options and the trackpad will work but if I leave the boot to run on its own the trackpad doesn't.  At the moment I have one drive installed in the G2 to make sure the dual EFI isn't causing confusion.

Any ideas on this one?  I have reset the bios to default and reset the options as I believe they need to be.  But whatever I do, including setting the boot order, it doesn't work.

On 9/26/2020 at 8:19 PM, erko2001 said:

I've tried but failed. So I switch to use itlwm.kext. It works fine now. Thank you very much.

Edited by xooxl

I found the first issue I was hitting with the EFI from @Axon_80 - the EFI has a ScanPolicy set that was stopping me from booting from any external drive.  Once I changed that to 0 the boot up showed me my USB connected devices and installation has gone really well.  Big Sur is now on my primary SSD in place of Catalina and fully updated to the latest beta.

If I can now resolve the issue of no trackpad unless I interrupt the boot process by going in to the bios and selecting the boot option.  I don't need to change anything, just need to stop it getting to OpenCore.  Once I do that the trackpad will then work in both OpenCore and macOS.  If I don't then the trackpad is ignored and macOS reports that I do not have one connected.

If anyone has any ideas why this is the case I would really appreciate it.  I can't see how it can be anything other than a bios issue but I just can't see why / where.

On 9/21/2020 at 11:29 PM, erko2001 said:

Hello guys,

EFI.7z

On 9/25/2020 at 2:01 AM, erko2001 said:

@Axon_80Hello,

How you managed to get trackpad working after sleep. I couldn't make it work after sleep. I think its something with config.plist but I can't figure it out.

Can you please help??

kexts are
VoodooRMI

VoodooSMBUS

I think the issue is with original appleSMBUS is taking over VoodooSMBUS after sleep. But I'm not sure and even if I am , I don't know how to prevent it from loading after sleep.

17 hours ago, acetuk said:

I found the first issue I was hitting with the EFI from @Axon_80 - the EFI has a ScanPolicy set that was stopping me from booting from any external drive.  Once I changed that to 0 the boot up showed me my USB connected devices and installation has gone really well.  Big Sur is now on my primary SSD in place of Catalina and fully updated to the latest beta.

If I can now resolve the issue of no trackpad unless I interrupt the boot process by going in to the bios and selecting the boot option.  I don't need to change anything, just need to stop it getting to OpenCore.  Once I do that the trackpad will then work in both OpenCore and macOS.  If I don't then the trackpad is ignored and macOS reports that I do not have one connected.

If anyone has any ideas why this is the case I would really appreciate it.  I can't see how it can be anything other than a bios issue but I just can't see why / where.

After I posted my last EFI, I managed to solve trackpad not recognising after sleep issue and now it works like a charm. The issue was related with the configuration of VoodooPS2Controller.kext . 

VoodooSMBus.kext and VoodooRMI.kext were unable to lock SMbus after device goes to sleep because of the Apple's SMbus drivers. After editing configuration of VoodooPS2Controller the issue was resolved. 

@acetuk You can try this EFI with addition of your M.2 specific configurations. It may can work.

EFI-Trackpad Fix-OC 0.6.1

59 minutes ago, gianni.dmg said:

hi guys, i write because i tried all the efi linked above, unfortunately none of them work well for my 840 g2,

i have problems with sleep, system slowdowns, slow boot. Can someone help me?

Can you provide more info about your hackintosh such as

• processor model
  • hdd or ssd or m.2 ssd
  • wireless card model
  • kexts list
  • MacOS version

Make sure to reset you bios. You should be able to run with stock bios settings. The issue may can be related to your MacOS installation.

After having run my HP840 G2 for a couple of days using @Axon_80's latest EFI on Big Sur I am having zero issues other than track pad support on boot up.  Big Sur is sleeping and waking perfectly even with hibernate mode set to 3 as opposed to mode 0 that is generally suggested.  I have not had one crash or lock up - on DB8 it is very smooth.

I am now downloading DB9 to see how that performs.  And I will try again to get the track pad to be recognised directly at boot as that will be the icing on the cake.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, acetuk said:

After having run my HP840 G2 for a couple of days using @Axon_80's latest EFI on Big Sur I am having zero issues other than track pad support on boot up.  Big Sur is sleeping and waking perfectly even with hibernate mode set to 3 as opposed to mode 0 that is generally suggested.  I have not had one crash or lock up - on DB8 it is very smooth.

I am now downloading DB9 to see how that performs.  And I will try again to get the track pad to be recognised directly at boot as that will be the icing on the cake.

I'm still struggling with the trackpad issue.  Big Sur DB9 appears to be working really well.  I had to download the full 12gb installer as the delta update via software update would not install.  I am looking at that (something about SecureBoot is being suggested as the issue but I am investigating).

I have resolved the trackpad issue.  At some point (probably in desperation at not being able to get Big Sur to wake from sleep) I reset my BIOS and flashed it to the latest version.  When I then set the BIOS up again I left fast boot enabled.  Turning that off has allowed the trackpad to be picked up straight away.

That makes sense to me.  When I was having to go in to the BIOS to get the trackpad to work what I was really doing was interrupting the fast boot process.  With the flag off in the BIOS it now works as wanted.  I have to say I am really pleased to get an answer to this.

Edited by acetuk
  • Haha 1

On 9/30/2020 at 6:10 PM, erko2001 said:

Can you provide more info about your hackintosh such as

• processor model
  • hdd or ssd or m.2 ssd
  • wireless card model
  • kexts list
  • MacOS version

Make sure to reset you bios. You should be able to run with stock bios settings. The issue may can be related to your MacOS installation.

then I have the bios version 1.31 reset and used the parameters of @Axon_80 of previous posts.

Model: 840 g2

Processor: intel i5 5300

Ssd 2.5

Wifi: intel wifi Compatible itlwm

Macos big sur b8