HP EliteBook 840G2 with Opencore 0.5.7/Catalina 10.15.4 can't boot first install

LucAndersen

135 posts in this topic

On 8/18/2020 at 8:25 PM, Axon_80 said:

Thank you, it works now.

I don't replaced voodooP2Scontroller.kext before and that's why it didn't work for me.
I am attaching EIF OC 6.1 Multitouch gestures

EFI_6.1_Multitouch gestures.zip

Are you installing beta 4?

Maybe try to install Bigsur beta 1 and upgrade to beta 4?

Thank you for your EFI file. It really helps and educates me. Please keep updating as you acomplished new things.

Try this EFI

Though ApfsDriverLoader is suppose to be integrated into the latest OC, for some system like HP840G2, you still need to add it for the MacOS drive to appear.

You might need to change Scanpolicy to 0 too.

Edited by Jake Lo

Just wanted to post in here to thank everyone in this topic - there's not a whole lot of information about this specific laptop and you guys helped me a lot to get a fully working system up and running. 

I had a few issues, specifically the one where install would fail after the first restart with the following message: "mac os could not be installed on your computer: an error occurred installing mac os".

Turns out that macOS did not like the 2x16GB DIMMs in my laptop. Once I've replaced them with 2x8GB DIMMs - everything worked straight away. Even managed to get the Intel card working (temporarily, currently awaiting for a shipment of a supported card).

Anyway guys, you rock! 

• Thanks 1

@Deminsib

The BIOS setting are posted a page back, follow that. For the installation, it's the same process as installing Catalina, Mojave, HS.etc etc.  You need to download the installer (BS Beta5 currently). Use CreateInstallMedia command to create the installer and use anyone of the EFI folder that were posted in this thread...and there were a few.

Just wanted to give a shout out and thank everyone on this message for their posts.  All of your replies to the original message allowed me to come up with a fully working OC boot loader for Big Sur Beta 5 (Aug 19).  Everything appears to be working.  I've used the Open Core Sanity Checker for my config.plist and added additional bootargs for Airdrop and the Wifi.  Both are fully working.  Olarlia.... (or at least someone moderating the forums) had me believing that a Broadwell-U OC laptop was not possible.  I built this from an HP 840 G2 config plist file, kexts, drivers, etc. and fine tuned where need be using ProperTree and OpenCore Configurator.  The boot arguments for bluetooth and wifi might need to be removed in order to get this to work on Catalina.  I'm attaching my EFI folder for anyone interested.  This should work for any HP G2 model (820 G2, 840 G2).

I'm running OC and Big Sur (Beta 5) on the following laptop:

HP EliteBook 850 G2

Broadwell-U, i7-5600 Intel HD5500

16 GB Memory

500 GB SSD

Bluetooth:  Broadcom 20702A3

Wifi:  Broadcom BCM43xx 

macOS Version:  BigSur Beta 5 (20A5354i)

HP_850_G2_BigSur_OC_EFI.zip

A quick update from me as well.  My G2 is also running Big Sur incredibly well with one exception, which I will get to in a moment.  I have updated to Dev Beta 6 directly on the G2 from Public Beta 6 with no issues.  Today I have updated all of the kext to the latest versions except the two Voodoo ones as I don't want to risk losing multi-touch (I have had all kinds of issues with the trackpad in previous Clover installations and now it is working well I am happy to leave it as is).

I do have ongoing issues getting bluetooth. It is available, it is on, but it never sees anything to connect too.  I'm beginning to think my wifi/bluetooth card might be faulty but wifi is running fine so I'm not sure.

The issue that I have is on power management.  All seems to be working fine whilst plugged in and I have checked in Hackintool that the power management settings are correct.  However I do find that if I unplug and the close the lid quite often when I reopen the G2 the screen will remain black, sometimes with a cursor, somethings with nothing.  This could be a Big Sur bug but I haven't seen it mentioned elsewhere so I am thinking it is more to do with my set up.  The other power related issue I am seeing is the when in hibernation mode I have gone to use the laptop the next day and found the battery to be run dry, sometimes with the laptop hot as it is has been on.

I've not seen any of these power issues using the same laptop, same EFI etc. using Catalina.

Oh, and my Big Sur boot disk is recognised as 'Preboot' in OC, which I would love to resolve at some point.

I am liking Bug Sur a lot, possibly more than I expected.  On the G2 it runs really nicely (power issues aside) and now there is a way to install it on my officially unsupported macMini 2012 I am going all in.

My G2 specs are the same as djtoccram other than I have a 1tb SSD with Catalina and a 256gb m.2 with Big Sur running Dev Beta 6.

@acetuk

What Wi-fi/ BT combo device do you have?

You need to disable Hibernation mode, no really working in Hackintosh.

As for the Preboot name, it's a known issue. I read somewhere you could just install Intel Power Gadget, allow the security popup. Once installed, you can uninstall if you don't use the app. Reboot and it should fix it and show the name you have set for your Big Sur.

16 minutes ago, Jake Lo said:

@acetuk

What Wi-fi/ BT combo device do you have?

You need to disable Hibernation mode, no really working in Hackintosh.

As for the Preboot name, it's a known issue. I read somewhere you could just install Intel Power Gadget, allow the security popup. Once installed, you can uninstall if you don't use the app. Reboot and it should fix it and show the name you have set for your Big Sur.

The wifi card is a DW1560 - wifi is working fine.  I did manage to connect my iPhone via bluetooth last night using Catalina with the same OC EFI for example.

Hibernation is disabled in both Catalina and Big Sur.  As far as I can tell (based on what Hackintool is telling me) I have them set up the same.  However Catalina always recovers from sleep when needed but Big Sur pretty much never does.  It just black screens and nothing more.

Thanks for the hint about the Preboot name suggestion.  I hadn't seen that anywhere.  I will look to give it a try.

Guys,

Good news. I helped vit9696 to figure out the problem with our HPs not detecting APFS volumes without the ApfsDriverLoader and now it's fixed ! It will be included in OpenCore 0.6.2 or you can download build with the commit included later today when it's generated:

The settings are:

GlobalConnect = NO
ConnectDrivers = YES
UnblockFSConnect = YES

Here is the build: https://github.com/dortania/build-repo/releases/download/OpenCorePkg-d3cf117/OpenCore-0.6.2-RELEASE.zip

• Like 2

Big thanks for you guys! You are awesome. I finally made my transition from Clover. I have an HP ZBook 14 G2, but it basically the same model. The only black sheep is that outdated VoodooPS2 KEXT. I was trying out the new ones, but once the single taps don't work, once the multi gestures missing. It only bothers me, because other than those issues, it was a lot easier to set up and the force touch simulation was pretty fine as well. I guess tomorrow I'll try out each ones again and share it, maybe it can help for someone to figure out what changes cause the issue.

The version of voodoosmbus and voodooRMI are newer than the version I had used and working. You might want to restore to the older version confirmed to be working until the new version has been tested. They can be found any of the EFI found in this thread.

Another quick update from me.  I successfully updated to Big Sur Dev Beta 7 last night using OC 0.6.1 and one of the EFI's taken from above with the latest kexts applied (other than the Voodoo set).  The update took time to install but worked perfectly.  I still have power management issues where a return from sleep leaves me with a black backlit screen, sometimes with a mouse, but nothing else.  I never return to a working desktop.  I have tried tweaking a few things in the power management settings but the outcome is always the same.

I did try a fresh reinstall of Dev Beta 6 the other day on to a different SSD with no M.2 drive installed, just to see if that was part of the issue.  It wasn't.  Is anyone else running BS and seeing power management issues?  Catalina running on the same laptop using the same EFI is working without issue.

On 9/18/2020 at 8:26 AM, acetuk said:

Another quick update from me.  I successfully updated to Big Sur Dev Beta 7 last night using OC 0.6.1 and one of the EFI's taken from above with the latest kexts applied (other than the Voodoo set).  The update took time to install but worked perfectly.  I still have power management issues where a return from sleep leaves me with a black backlit screen, sometimes with a mouse, but nothing else.  I never return to a working desktop.  I have tried tweaking a few things in the power management settings but the outcome is always the same.

I did try a fresh reinstall of Dev Beta 6 the other day on to a different SSD with no M.2 drive installed, just to see if that was part of the issue.  It wasn't.  Is anyone else running BS and seeing power management issues?  Catalina running on the same laptop using the same EFI is working without issue.

hello could you share your efi here because mine does not work very well and besides the same sleep problem, I have many slowdowns during use

14 hours ago, acetuk said:

@Axon_80 posted a working EFI file a little earlier in this thread.  Use that with you own serial number etc. added.  It is working for me perfectly on Catalina and well on Big Sur other than the power management issue.

@Axon_80 he modified the post and the efi is no longer there, you can share it with me, what problems with power management

12 hours ago, gianni.dmg said:

@Axon_80 he modified the post and the efi is no longer there, you can share it with me, what problems with power management

EFI_6.1_Multitouch gestures

This is the last EFI files that @Axon_80 provided. And also I asked him if he made any progress since then. This EFI files contains a old config.plist which is not compatible with new OpenCore releases. If he can provide a recent version of his files it will be very helpfull for everyone. We are waiting for an update from him.

On 8/22/2020 at 10:39 PM, sharad9401 said:

Yes Bluetooth works oob if intel you don’t need any kext or if broadcom then you need bcrm patch kexts

Ok thanks then I install this and wait with you for an update

I have the same problem with sleep it gives me black screen with backlight, sometimes if I close the screen and reopen it it restarts but after a while it restarts

Edited by gianni.dmg

Hello Guys!

I have seen that all the posted EFIs use the old GPU patching method (maybe it can cause some of the sleep-wake issues), and there are some unnecessary hot-patches (mostly cosmetic renames) which are still present in the config plist. 

I share my cleaned up EFI which solve some of these problems.

Compared to the previous EFIs:

• Remove the SSDT-IGPU and the GFX0 to IGPU hot-patch. Since these are handled by WhateverGreen.kext.
  • Add the SSDT-PNLF. Since the SSDT-IGPU also contains the blacklight patch, may it can caused issues when both was present.
  • Add "External (_SB_.PCI0.SBUS, DeviceObj)" into the SSDT-8x0G2b. I just found that it was missing, it can caused power-management issues.
  • Add SSDT-PMC and SSDT-RHUB since neither of them was present.
  • Remove outdated hot-patches like "B0D3 to HDAU", "GBE1 to ETH0", Skylake-patches etc.
  • Use the latest OpenCore 0.6.2 pre-release. Since the driver load issue is solved there's no need any other related driver.
  • Remove unnecessary kexts like ACPIBatteryManager.kext, FakePCIID.kext, SATA-unsupported.kext. Many of these are outdated or there's no use since it's handled by SSDTs.

Need future development:

• VoodooRMI not present, old RehabMan fork in use. Some of the people had issues with that when it was booted from the internal drive. If it worked for you, you can add it.
  • Couldn't solve the conversion to the SSDT-EC, the ACPI paths are messed up with the battery management, so it is still handled by hot-patches and SSDT-8x0G2b.
  • SD-card reader kexts are still under. examination. I was testing some of them and the reading speed wasn't enough good. If you want you can add Sinetek-rtsx.kext or the VoodooSDHC.kext.
  • Huawei 4G modem tested, working, but since not everyone has it I left it out. You can find easy tutorials to activate it.
  • USBInjectAll still present. I had issues to activate the webcam without that. USBMapping still in process.

Side notes:

• My machine is a ZBook 14 G2. It's basically a rebranded EliteBook 840 G2.
  • If you are testing it, don't forget to make your SMBIOS.
  • Please share with me if you had any issues or you have solutions for the problems.

Have a nice day!

EFI.zip

Edited by Martin Előházy