HP EliteBook 840G2 with Opencore 0.5.7/Catalina 10.15.4 can't boot first install

LucAndersen

135 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, Axon_80 said:

There are many guides on how to set up a OC.
I also used other people's work, thanks to @Epimenide

I hitting two issues, one of which isn't OpenCore.  I am using a USB wifi dongle for the moment and the drivers will not full install.  They report an error on installation, the dongle works fine but when I turn the laptop on / wake it from sleep I need to install the driver again.  This is likely to be an issue with Big Sur.  The other is that sleep is sometimes returning with a dead screen, or a lit screen but no display.  Hard reset is then needed to get it back on.  Turning the screen off but not putting the laptop to sleep seems to be working fine so I'm not sure what the issue is.

Did you work on any more optimisations to the OpenCore EFI?

2 hours ago, acetuk said:

I hitting two issues, one of which isn't OpenCore.  I am using a USB wifi dongle for the moment and the drivers will not full install.  They report an error on installation, the dongle works fine but when I turn the laptop on / wake it from sleep I need to install the driver again.  This is likely to be an issue with Big Sur.  The other is that sleep is sometimes returning with a dead screen, or a lit screen but no display.  Hard reset is then needed to get it back on.  Turning the screen off but not putting the laptop to sleep seems to be working fine so I'm not sure what the issue is.

Did you work on any more optimisations to the OpenCore EFI?

I didn't optimize because everything is fine with me. I only updated the OC to version 0.6.1.

6 hours ago, Axon_80 said:

I didn't optimize because everything is fine with me. I only updated the OC to version 0.6.1.

I've managed to get my internal DW1640 (I think) wifi card reconnected to the internal antenna cables (I got heavy handed one day and damaged the connectors to the point where they would not stay on).  That's resolved the wifi dongle issue.  For now at least.

Is bluetooth working well for you?  It is registering as being there for me but it doesn't do anything (cannot pick up my Apple Watch etc.).  I had the same problem using Clover before on Catalina.  If I can get that fixed then that will be another win.  

I've seen that there are pre-releases available for OC 0.6.1.  Are you noticing anything different?

Finally I have ordered a docking station for my laptop.  I am hoping that that the two display ports that it comes with work as I want to connect to two external displays when I am at my desk at home.  Fingers crossed for that.

Ok, I might have found the issue with the dark screen from sleep and what is stopping my USB wifi dongle from working when returning from sleep.  I read something on another site and remembered that I needed to adjust the sleep and hibernate settings using Hackintool when I was using Clover and Catalina.  I checked my Big Sur installation using Hackintool and it reported an issue with those settings in the power tab.  Set both the hybernatemode and proximitymode to 0 as suggested by Hackintool and so far sleep to wake is working perfectly and my wifi usb dongle is not being 'forgotten' about.

18 hours ago, Axon_80 said:

My bluetooth works fine, but big sur beta 4 there is an applewatch problem. On catalina and previous big sur beta everything was fine with the applewatch.

Please confirm which WiFi/Bluetooth card you are using. I’m beginning to think something is wrong with mine and am looking to replace it. 

Did you guys manage to fix sleep? I'm on Big Sur Beta 2 and when I put it to sleep then wake it up, it starts lagging and eventually freezes and the cursor doesn't move. 

It happens using both Clover and Opencore. I'm using SSD and it happens with both TRIM enabled and disabled.

I think my HP 840 G2 is cursed. I tried installing Catalina with OC 5.9, 6.0, and 6.1. All goes well until the final reboot, when I select the newly installed drive from OC Picker, it'll boot to the recovery partition. I thought maybe the 2 partition got reversed? So I booted the recovery partition but it also boots to the the recovery partition. I had also tried using @Axon_80 and @Epimenide's EFI, both results are the same as mine.

So I decided to try their files on Big Sur Beta4, both rebooted after being selected without any error whatsoever. Really strange.

So going back to my Catalina install, I was able to create a Clover boot disk and complete the installation where OC had left off. Everything works great with Clover so far. Sleep  / wake with closing and opening lid, all USB ports, SD Card reader, webcam, even multitouch gestures. 

Spoiler

HP840G2.thumb.png.5d18cadff88ced74ab35ed684a7917b9.png

I hope someone here can help me with OpenCore for 840 G2. What version of BIOS are you using and what configuration you have set? @Axon_80, can you post your OC 6.1 version?

On the other hand, I have an HP 840 G3 working perfectly fine with Big Sure on OC 6.0 also with multitouch gestures. 

7 hours ago, Jake Lo said:

I think my HP 840 G2 is cursed. I tried installing Catalina with OC 5.9, 6.0, and 6.1. All goes well until the final reboot, when I select the newly installed drive from OC Picker, it'll boot to the recovery partition. I thought maybe the 2 partition got reversed? So I booted the recovery partition but it also boots to the the recovery partition. I had also tried using @Axon_80 and @Epimenide's EFI, both results are the same as mine.

So I decided to try their files on Big Sur Beta4, both rebooted after being selected without any error whatsoever. Really strange.

So going back to my Catalina install, I was able to create a Clover boot disk and complete the installation where OC had left off. Everything works great with Clover so far. Sleep  / wake with closing and opening lid, all USB ports, SD Card reader, webcam, even multitouch gestures. 

Reveal hidden contents

HP840G2.thumb.png.5d18cadff88ced74ab35ed684a7917b9.png

I hope someone here can help me with OpenCore for 840 G2. What version of BIOS are you using and what configuration you have set? @Axon_80, can you post your OC 6.1 version?

On the other hand, I have an HP 840 G3 working perfectly fine with Big Sure on OC 6.0 also with multitouch gestures. 

I think oc 0.6.1 will not help. But of course I will post it in my free time.

Can you post your EFI / CLOVER with working multitouch gestures?

Edited by Axon_80

My BIOS ver. 01.31   02/24/2020

Bios settings:

Fast Boot - off

Boot Mode - UEFI Hybrid

Video memory size 64MB

Sata speed 6.0Gbs

Deep Sleep - off

Wake on lan - Disable

I check, Multitouch gestures not work for Big Sur.

Edited by Axon_80

On 8/18/2020 at 6:18 PM, Jake Lo said:

Try this, replace the Config file, I add the kexts in order to the Config.

Add the 3 kext to the kexts folder, this will replace your VoodooPS2Controller. You could rename the VoodooPS2 if you like before replacing.

Keep an external USB mouse handy incase this doesn't work.

840G2_touchpad.zip

Thank you, it works now.

I don't replaced voodooP2Scontroller.kext before and that's why it didn't work for me.
I am attaching EIF OC 6.1 Multitouch gestures

Are you installing beta 4?

Maybe try to install Bigsur beta 1 and upgrade to beta 4?

Edited by Axon_80

Hello guys I'm on Big Sur beta 4 and everything but sleep is working. It goes  to sleep but most times it lags and eventually freezes after wake and sometimes black screen after wake. Happens both in Clover and OC.

Also, Big Sur handles kexts differently so you need to use this https://github.com/chris1111/Wireless-USB-Big-Sur-Adapter

to enable dongle support across reboots.

I have attached EFI for 840 G2 with only HD5500 (gestures working)

Please help me fix sleep.

EDIT: I FIXED SLEEP BELOW EFI IS FULLY WORKING OC 0.6.1 ENJOY :) EVERYTHING WORKING INCLUDING GESTURES AND SD ALL UPDATED.

DOWNLOAD Intel WiFi Drivers here(Not all supported):

https://github.com/1hbb/OpenIntelWireless-Factory/releases

This EFI is fully cleaned except maybe some extra kexts which u can change according to ur hardware.

Tested on Big Sur Beta 4. All working.

EFI.zip

Edited by sharad9401
FIXED SLEEP

5 hours ago, Axon_80 said:

Thank you, it works now.

I don't replaced voodooP2Scontroller.kext before and that's why it didn't work for me.
I am attaching EIF OC 6.1 Multitouch gestures

EFI_6.1_Multitouch gestures.zip

Are you installing beta 4?

Maybe try to install Bigsur beta 1 and upgrade to beta 4?

Once again thanks for your EFI.  I have put Catalina back on my main SSD for the moment and am using your update 0.6.1 EFI with my serial number etc. to boot.  Trackpad gestures appear to be working very nicely (it's great to finally be able to zoom in and out on web pages!).

I have Big Sur PB4 on the second drive in my HP840G2 and need to give that a try as well.  

I just need to get bluetooth working - I still can't seem to get any more than it to be recognised.  It never finds my iPhone to pair to or anything else I have tried on both Catalina and Big Sur.

My final challenge is to get the two display ports to work on the slim doc that I have bought.  They both generate a display to dual monitors using DP-to-VGA cables but my HP840 fails to boot on the graphics settings change on boot up.  I am hoping that is just because I was using those types of cables so I have bought two DP-to-DP cables which should be with me tomorrow.  Fingers crossed that works as it is the final hardware tweak I want to resolve.

Finally thanks for the list of bios settings you are using.  I need to compare that to mine as well as the bios version itself.  I'm a little cautious to adjust anything as it all appears to be running well other than bluetooth.

Then that's really odd. I have the same BIOS version and virtually the same BIOS settings. 

I have now change to these settings since it made no difference:

Fast Boot - off

Boot Mode - UEFI without CSM

Video memory size 64MB

Sata speed 6.0Gbs

Deep Sleep - on

Wake on lan - Disable

I removed some more outdated acpi patches not needed with WEG. Final EFI Below. You need to replace itlwm with Broadcom kexts if u need.

Edit: Removed itlwm to fit under 10 MB upload limit.

Only for 840 G2 since I removed patches for other models like G1/G3/G4

EFI.zip

Edited by sharad9401