SMCAMDProcessor - VirtualSMC AMD CPU Monitoring

Shaneee

6 posts in this topic

SMCAMDProcessor from trulyspinach

AMD Processor power management plugin for VirtualSMC.

Please note that this release is at very initial stage of development, make sure you have a proper backup of your EFI folder and never run on any system that matters.

If you encounter any problems then please create an issue here

Now with AMD Power Tool

all.png

Installation

1. Download kext and application from Release page
  2. Add SMCAMDProcessor.kext to kext folder of your bootloader.
  3. Edit your bootloader's config file to make sure the kext is enabled.
  4. Done!

Features

• Passive CPU power management.
  • Supports for reading of temperature, energy and clock data on AMD 17h Processors.
  • Manual switching of processor speed with AMD Power Tool.

Passive Power Management

This options serves as a temporary solution to CPU power management due to no active solution are currently available. Comparing to a true active power managment implementation, this option works in a passive way which results in less sensitivity, accuracy and a slow down in performance.

I have been exploring possibilities for implementing a real active power management solution for AMD 17h platform. From what it looks like currently it is definitly possible. I will keep updating here with my latest progress.

ani.gif

Editing PState

Since the release 0.3.1, you can now edit your CPU PState using AMD Power Tool.

pe.png

To access PState editor:

1. Open AMD Power Tool
  2. Go to 'Speed' tab
  3. Click 'Advanced Options'
  4. Safety Notes
  5. Incorrect PState setting can potentially cause permanent damage to your computer hardware.
  6. For safety concern, this function was limited to root user only. You can either launch AMD Power Gadget with root user or use -amdpnopchk to disable this check.

Tested Processors

• Ryzen 9 3900X
  • Ryzen 7 3700X
  • Ryzen 7 2700X
  • Ryzen 5 3600
  • Threadripper 2990WX

What's Coming?

PState Editing, a direct editing of PState definition may open up possibilities for overclocking in macOS.

Active Power Management.

Contribution

• If you want to support this project, please:
  • Give it a star!
  • Feel free to open up an issue if it works for you and not listed on supported processors.
  • or if something breaks, please also open an issue.
  • If you like to help with some coding, feel free to submit any pull request or just DM me on Discord.

Notes

• I am still fairly new to macOS kernel development, this software project was initially a hobby project to get some reading on my newly built AMD hackintosh computer.
  • With that being said, please bear with some of the spaghetti and not-idiomatic codes. Any criticism is much welcomed 

Edited by Shaneee
Information updated from Github
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...