[GUIDE] ASUS Z170-DELUXE - i7-6700K - HD 530 & RX 5700 - [From macOS El Capitan 10.11.6 to Big Sur 11 - Windows 10]

kushwavez

57 posts in this topic

Oh I see. I've never tried OCing when iGPU is enabled so that's good to know. This is unfortunate.

Well, back to the question "Is it better to disable or not", depends on your use-case. Do you need CPU horse power more for your applications? If yes, then go for the OC and disabled iGPU. If your use-case is more GPU demanding than CPU, then go for iGPU and dGPU. Experiment it.

Edited by kushwavez
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

One thing I just noticed:

If using dual-display on HD 530, only the HDMI one is working. 

To fix that "agdpmod=vit9696" bootflag is needed. 

Then the 2 monitors will work, but the HDMI one will boot into a black screen.

Workaround is to replug the HDMI monitor.

I'll add update the bootpack with the new version of Clover (v5127) and also "agdpmod=vit9696" flag included.

No particular need to update them, you're right, I changed my mind. As far as I can see there isn't anything new in Clover v5127, so I'll skip that one, I only will update the config.plist.

I only recommend updating kexts/Clover when a new major macOS release came and you try to update it (most of the time). But if you have no problems at all with your older version of Clover and kexts, there is no need to update them.

As for updating: just download the new CLOVERX64.efi from the Clover GitHub release page, and replace the older one with the new one, that's it. As for kexts I don't really use any apps for that, I just download them from their GitHub release page and replace the old ones one-by-one.

And it's a good idea to make backups from your working Clover before doing anything! :) 

I'll update the Clover once they fix the Recovery partition problem. As for now the Big Sur Recovery partition is not found and cannot boot from it. They're working on it, maybe it'll be fixed on Clover v5128. 

• Thanks 1

One really good thing for testing: BootloaderChooser. With this you can easily choose between your bootloaders at boot. (for example if you have OpenCore, Clover, Clover backup, or any other Clover or OpenCore versions).

I use this for testing most of the time, if something goes wrong you I just can boot from "CLOVER_BAK/CLOVERX64.efi" for example.

• Thanks 1

OpenCoe is much better than clover  ? There's a lot of talk about opencore that's can update without concern, and is near for a a real Mac,  don1t know the differences. I saw I boot on YouTube with  OpenCore I didn't like the interface, clover have themes high resolutions...

• Like 1

No, it's not much better. Yes, a lot's of people are talking about OpenCore is better because of the hype. They say "wow OpenCore is so much better than Clover because it's working and Clover is not" because of user error of course, or "wow OpenCore so much faster than Clover" which is also isn't true, they're identical. Real Mac experience? yeah I like these words, they can't really explain it if you ask them what do they mean. :D 

You can update with Clover too, without any problem. As mentioned above, update is only necessary (most of the times) when a major release came, so that's also some OpenCore hype.

Reddit is full of these hype and people, I really don't like it, it's a shame. No, not that they're using OpenCore, but how are they blaming Clover for everything knowing the fact it's clearly user error and they just can't use Clover properly because they're just don't understand how to configure it. I really find this behavior a shame. And...I mean, Clover is using OpenCore as it's core, so they're really identical in that shape...:hysterical:

Now OpenCore have so much people using it. Clover doesn't. OpenCore have a really detailed GUIDE for almost every type of system. Clover is almost have that, but that's not that detailed, most of the people don't know it actually exists. Also Clover's wiki is just outdated, and most of the things inside config.plist aren't well explained, or just aren't explained at all. Now that's the problem with Clover, the documentation. Not what people are saying.

And I'm agree with you, I like the Clover GUI, and it's looking nicer than OpenCore's OpenCanopy (I see their point, they wanted to have more "native" theme, but ehh) in my opinion.

You can also edit config.plist from GUI, choose between more config.plist, autoboot a specific system, which you can't do with OpenCore (for example I have a server that uses Clover, because then I can boot from ssh to Windows, boot from PowerShell to Linux, etc, etc. You can't do this with OpenCore), so it's soo so much better for multi-boot.

Edited by kushwavez
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Did you boot from the Preboots ("Mac OS X Install via Preboot" when updating)? at the end I see "corecrypto" which means it wasn't booted from Preboot.

Unfortunately the system isn't here anymore so I can't really test it. But the installation went fine on my other 3 hacks (OTA ~3.4 GB update from Software Update).

Maybe try a NVRAM reset. 

One thing, once I did break the OTA updating by not booting from "Mac OS X Install via Preboot from macOS SSD". In order to fix that I had to boot the system and re-search and re-download the OTA update. After that, and after selecting the right Preboot the OTA update went fine.

Edited by kushwavez
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, kenlgj said:

hi man !! I am use BCM94360HMB mini pic-e. but just wifi working.can't open the BT. can you tell me how to work perfectly in big sur.

A0545807-B7CA-496C-8C99-6454DC8F149B.png

Sorry for ask, but normally comes a cable that you have to connect to usb in your mother board. Did you connect this cable ?

8 hours ago, albertoacj said:

抱歉,请原谅,但通常需要连接到主板上的USB的电缆。你连接了这条电缆吗?

yes I have connect to usb jumper on mother board!!!but still can't working !Is it need driver or other setting ?