Unlocker VMWare Workstation 15.5

Jovilla

108 posts in this topic

What is the VMware Workstation exact version?
Did you install the macOS Unlocker, and which version/download of it?

If you did not, there lies your issue, you need the Unlocker.

Is your CPU AMD or Intel?

Intel is best for "hacked" macOS VMs. :) 

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/23/2020 at 7:49 AM, au10tic said:

i tried the latest version of VMware 15.5.2 Build 15785246 on an old (4790k) Intel system and it works, so is my AMD system that doesn't like that version with the VM unlocker. 

For your AMD system, which unlocker did you use ?

I have Ryzen 3700x and tried this one (https://codeload.github.com/BDisp/unlocker/zip/3.0.3) but didn't work.

After editing VM config file with cpus mask id, smc version 0 and feature compatilibity to 0, I'm getting this below error. Btw hw version is 10:

Feature 'cpuid.ds' was absent, but must be present.

Feature 'cpuid.ss' was absent, but must be present.

Feature 'cpuid.intel' was absent, but must be present.

Module 'FeatureCompatLate' power on failed.

Value "“FALSE�" for variable "featureCompat.enable" is not a valid boolean value. Using value "TRUE".

Value "“0�" for variable "smc.version" is not a valid integer value. Using value "-1".

Failed to start the virtual machine.

Edited by macist

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/12/2020 at 3:44 PM, macist said:

For your AMD system, which unlocker did you use ?

I have Ryzen 3700x and tried this one (https://codeload.github.com/BDisp/unlocker/zip/3.0.3) but didn't work.

After editing VM config file with cpus mask id, smc version 0 and feature compatilibity to 0, I'm getting this below error. Btw hw version is 10:

Feature 'cpuid.ds' was absent, but must be present.

Feature 'cpuid.ss' was absent, but must be present.

Feature 'cpuid.intel' was absent, but must be present.

Module 'FeatureCompatLate' power on failed.

Value "“FALSE�" for variable "featureCompat.enable" is not a valid boolean value. Using value "TRUE".

Value "“0�" for variable "smc.version" is not a valid integer value. Using value "-1".

Failed to start the virtual machine.

add the below to your .vmx config file for you AMD system, what version of VMWare are you using and what macOS are you attempting to spin up? im using unlocker-master which the script echos ver: 3.0.2

smc.version = "0"
cpuid.0.eax = "0000:0000:0000:0000:0000:0000:0000:1011"
cpuid.0.ebx = "0111:0101:0110:1110:0110:0101:0100:0111"
cpuid.0.ecx = "0110:1100:0110:0101:0111:0100:0110:1110"
cpuid.0.edx = "0100:1001:0110:0101:0110:1110:0110:1001"
cpuid.1.eax = "0000:0000:0000:0001:0000:0110:0111:0001"
cpuid.1.ebx = "0000:0010:0000:0001:0000:1000:0000:0000"
cpuid.1.ecx = "1000:0010:1001:1000:0010:0010:0000:0011"
cpuid.1.edx = "0000:1111:1010:1011:1111:1011:1111:1111"
featureCompat.enable = "FALSE"

6 hours ago, newborn2010 said:

In my case my MacOS 15.5 boot failed with VMware Workstation v15.5.5 Build 16285975 patched by unlock 3.0.3.

Always uninstall unlocker, before upgrading vmware wks! I always used to doing so, and 15.5.5 works just fine.

No issues running macOS on version 15.5.5 with unlocker version 3.0.2.  (I have never bothered to uninstall the unlocker before upgrading, and never had an issue.)

My question is, is there anyone on Windows 10 version 2004 (which was just released two days ago)?  VMware Workstation 15.5.5 has a new feature that allows it to work with Hyper-V enabled.  Anyone feel up to trying macOS on VMware with Hyper-V also turned on and see if that works or not?

Edited by Aaron44126

On 5/29/2020 at 9:15 PM, Aaron44126 said:

No issues running macOS on version 15.5.5 with unlocker version 3.0.2.  (I have never bothered to uninstall the unlocker before upgrading, and never had an issue.)

My question is, is there anyone on Windows 10 version 2004 (which was just released two days ago)?  VMware Workstation 15.5.5 has a new feature that allows it to work with Hyper-V enabled.  Anyone feel up to trying macOS on VMware with Hyper-V also turned on and see if that works or not?

I did exactly this and it is unfortunately insanely slow. unusable. before I had vmware workstation without hyper-v and it was working nice, not super fast, but for the odd support job where you need to lead a user through some dialogues perfectly usable but, alas, not anymore.

Edited by taylor04

On 5/31/2020 at 3:30 AM, taylor04 said:

I did exactly this and it is unfortunately insanely slow. unusable. before I had vmware workstation without hyper-v and it was working nice, not super fast, but for the odd support job where you need to lead a user through some dialogues perfectly usable but, alas, not anymore.

I installed Catalina on the VMware Workstation 20H1 and 20H2 technical previews with Hyper-V enabled. I found it insanely slow as well, though this was only when VMware Tools was installed. After removing VMware Tools the VM was pretty responsive but I could no longer resize the screen from a default of something like 1024x768, which made it unusable due to resolution and scaling on my 4k monitor. 

I experimented with different versions of VMware Tools extracted from Fusion packages, but never got it to work as expected.

Edited by Nomad2k4
Clarity

11 hours ago, Nomad2k4 said:

I installed Catalina on the VMware Workstation 20H1 and 20H2 technical previews with Hyper-V enabled. I found it insanely slow as well, though this was only when VMware Tools was installed. After removing VMware Tools the VM was pretty responsive

ok, but how can you remove vmware-tools? I get a message that the developer must update it's installer, which seems to be 32bit. so, how can I uninstall?

4 hours ago, taylor04 said:

ok, but how can you remove vmware-tools? I get a message that the developer must update it's installer, which seems to be 32bit. so, how can I uninstall?

If you kill "vmware-tools-daemon" in Activity Monitor, does it work any better?  Looks like it is constantly doing something in the background.  (There are two instances using around 0.2-0.3% CPU on my VM.)

[Edit] Actually looks like if you kill them then another one will spawn automatically.  You could probably get around it by removing/renaming the executable file.  It is in /Library/Application Support/VMware Tools.

I was figuring there is some background task or kernel extension installed by VMware Tools which could be disabled to restore performance.  Hopefully it would only disable some functionality and not everything offered by VMware Tools.  I don't know enough about macOS to dig into it.

Edited by Aaron44126

On 6/4/2020 at 5:06 PM, taylor04 said:

When you mount the ISO of VMware Tools into the VM, you can choose to Install/Reinstall VMware Tools, OR uninstall it. Choose/click the Uninstall choice to uninstall it.

So it's several years later, and I tried this again with updated software but with the same effects,...Workstation gets patched but any installation media, even from Apples servers, results in a boot loop.

Arch Linux Kernel 5.6.15

Intel G3258 Anniversary Edition (Haswell) dual core 3.2GHz (VT-x enabled)

Workstation 15.5.5 build-16285975

unlocker 3.0.3 from the codeload links above

Workstation appears to be patched fine. Can choose OS 10.16 even

Added smc.version = "0" to the machine's config

Used an installation ISO from some guide, and also followed tlac's guide:

https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/342603-guide-simple-steps-to-create-macos-installer-for-vmware-on-linux-or-windows/

It won't even begin to load the bar at all, the apple just appears briefly and then it reboots.

Anybody experiencing similar issues?

From vmware.log:

2020-06-08T12:29:04.459-05:00| vcpu-0| W003: DarwinPanic: panic(cpu 0 caller 0xffffff800d8c2b52):  initproc exited -- exit reason namespace 2 subcode 0x4 description: none
2020-06-08T12:29:04.460-05:00| vcpu-0| I005: Chipset: The guest has requested that the virtual machine be hard reset.

On 3/16/2020 at 2:37 PM, flakey said:

I previously tried "MK-unlocker" on 15.5.1, and it seemed to work, so I tried it again on 15.5.2 after applying the upgrade. Seems to have worked again.

My existing Catalina VM wouldn't boot until I applied the unlocker, and then it successfully booted to a login prompt after I applied the unlocker.

Same again for 15.5.5 and (this morning) 15.5.6.

@flakey Is that on Windows?

I can not get this to work neither on Windows nor on Linux. Not with VMWare 14 not with 15, not with MK unlocker or v3.0.3

Which sort of makes me believe that it may be rather some configuration that I'm missing or a bad image or well, I really don't know...

What installation media did you use when you first did this?

I tried downloading the original Recovery partition as described by @tlac and still so I'm stuck at an instant boot loop.

On 6/7/2020 at 2:27 PM, Naki said:

When you mount the ISO of VMware Tools into the VM, you can choose to Install/Reinstall VMware Tools, OR uninstall it. Choose/click the Uninstall choice to uninstall it.

this is not working as it is a 32bit app. "..needs to be updated by the developer" message of Catalina fame

• Sad 1

On 6/12/2020 at 10:08 AM, taylor04 said:

this is not working as it is a 32bit app. "..needs to be updated by the developer" message of Catalina fame

If so, this is the wrong ISO. :) 

I will try to dig up the correct, latest 64-bit VMware Tools ISO for you.

Stay tuned (past midnight here, so tomorrow)!

Edited by Naki

On 6/10/2020 at 11:52 PM, Deridjian said:

I can not get this to work neither on Windows nor on Linux. Not with VMWare 14 not with 15, not with MK unlocker or v3.0.3

Which sort of makes me believe that it may be rather some configuration that I'm missing or a bad image or well, I really don't know...

I tried downloading the original Recovery partition as described by @tlac and still so I'm stuck at an instant boot loop.

Yes, this is VMware Workstation Pro on Windows 10 Pro x64. Each time a new version of Workstation was released I simply accepted the automatic prompt to upgrade, then re-ran the MK Unlocker afterwards. Didn't do anything fancy other than that.

As for macOS installation media, from Lion through to Catalina, I've been making my own ISO images for several years now by downloading the associated .dmg direct from the Apple Store and using the command line to create a bootable ISO.

• Thanks 1

Promised ISO is here, please:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jlluu9o17gj931t/darwin%2BdarwinPre15 ISOs.zip?dl=0

(This has TWO Darwin ISO-s inside it - one for newer macOS VMs, and one for older ones.)

Hope this helps! :) Please tell me if that works, or not.

For reference, this was "fished out" of here:

http://softwareupdate.vmware.com/cds/vmw-desktop/fusion/11.5.5/16269456/core/

namely from the com.vmware.fusion.zip.tar file, which was a large 606 MB file. For comparison, the actual ISO files are < 4 MBs each.

(I extracted from .tar file to .zip with Universal Extractor first, then the ZIP file was extracted with 7-Zip.)

EDIT: The ISO file VMware Tools Modified Date should appear as March 31st 2020 (or maybe as March 30th, depending on your local time zone). :) 

The one I had (and which works well) was from Sept 2019. I do not know/am not sure how many VMware Tools releases came out since Sept 2019, but this one seems recent enough.

Edited by Naki

On 6/11/2020 at 1:52 AM, Deridjian said:

Do you have Intel Hardware Virtualization enabled in BIOS?

I have a few PCs very similar to yours, no issues with VMware Workstation+Unlocker - OS is Windows 10, no idea about Linux. 

And I am NOT using any "installation media" at all, nor any Recovery stuff - I am either using an older macOS VM to upgrade to newer macOS version, OR using a ready-made semi-installed VMware image/disk copy of a certain macOS new version - usually, new Beta in the specific year - made by "random guys on the Internet". They tell you not to, but I had no issues or viruses doing this. :) 

Then when in fall of XX year the macOS Beta program is over and RTM version comes, I install that and stop using the Betas - last time, this was RTM of Catalina in the fall of 2019. :) 

Edited by Naki