Unlocker VMWare Workstation 15.5

Jovilla

108 posts in this topic

On 11/25/2020 at 2:03 PM, Aaron44126 said:

Yes, since Big Sur anyway, minimizing windows is very slow and CPU-intensive.  I've seen other users report this.  I think that it basically boils down to the lack of hardware graphics acceleration... and Apple not really caring at all to make sure that things work OK without it.

And funny you should mention it, I just discovered AirMessage yesterday while looking for alternate iMessage solutions.  I'm thinking that I will run it on an actual 2010 Mac Mini that I have and see how it goes.

Thanks! :) Interestingly, I run ALL kinds/versions of older VMs on same PC & laptop too, and they all work fine - NO slowdown on windows minimize in any of those many macOS VMs, it happens at once and does not slow down the Guest or Host OS/CPU.

Have them all here from OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion, to 10.9 Mavericks, 10.10 Yosemite and all the way to Catalina and now Big Sur -- and issue only happens in the latest Big Sur VM and not any of the others.

Edited by Naki

On 11/20/2020 at 3:56 AM, flakey said:

This morning I applied the Workstation Pro 16.1.0 upgrade, with the same familiar symptoms: my macOS VM won't boot successfully after the upgrade.

Once again MK-Unlocker came to the rescue, and patched Workstation successfully. My macOS Big Sur VM is online again once more. So, continued thanks to the provider of that particular tool.

So far, VMWARE 16 does not work with AMD Ryzen processors Catalina or Big Sur vanilla installs. Nobody has successfully done this. 

• Sad 1

• 2 months later...

Any change in AMD Zen 2 / Zen 3 Ryzen support for VMWare 16 ?

Still not working ? Or a new solution ?

Appreciate a lot if anyone knows there is a development...

PS: Running a Ryzen 7 3700X

Edited by macist
  • Haha 1

• 9 months later...
On 11/20/2020 at 9:56 AM, flakey said:

This morning I applied the Workstation Pro 16.1.0 upgrade, with the same familiar symptoms: my macOS VM won't boot successfully after the upgrade.

Once again MK-Unlocker came to the rescue, and patched Workstation successfully. My macOS Big Sur VM is online again once more. So, continued thanks to the provider of that particular tool.

MK-Unlocker to the rescue again! Today it was the turn of Workstation Pro 16.2.1 (I skipped 16.2.0) to receive the tender ministrations of the unlocker.

My Monterey VM boots once more.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

On 11/10/2021 at 5:38 AM, flakey said:

MK-Unlocker to the rescue again! Today it was the turn of Workstation Pro 16.2.1 (I skipped 16.2.0) to receive the tender ministrations of the unlocker.

Which one is the MK-Unlocker again?

Is this the one?

https://github.com/paolo-projects/auto-unlocker/releases

Also, does it work for AMD chips?

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
On 11/10/2021 at 11:38 AM, flakey said:

Good lord. MK-Unlocker still works with VMware Workstation Pro 17.0.0. I'm astounded it's kept working for so long.

Edited by flakey
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

To summarize: You can run an unmodified Big Sur or Monterey on an AMD platform in a VM using the MK-Unlocker?

I am buying a non-Apple laptop to run Workstation Pro for linux and must decide between Intel vs. AMD CPU and plan to virtualize a lot.

Edited by Thinkcat
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/3/2023 at 4:17 AM, Thinkcat said:

To summarize: You can run an unmodified Big Sur or Monterey on an AMD platform in a VM using the MK-Unlocker?

I am buying a non-Apple laptop to run Workstation Pro for linux and must decide between Intel vs. AMD CPU and plan to virtualize a lot.

No idea. My VM host runs an Intel CPU. Perhaps another forum member with an AMD rig might be able to advise.