OpenCore Vanilla Desktop Guide

dracoflar

21 posts in this topic

So you've been reading the forum on this brand new boot loader called OpenCore hoping to try it out but you take one look at the configurations PDF and take a step back in shock at the complexity! Well if you've been feeling a bit intimidated by the DOCS well you've come to the right place:

OpenCore Install Guide

If you have any issues or suggestions please feel free to comment

Edited by dracoflar
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

@ekwiptSo regarding Broadwell E support, more specifically the X79, X99, X299, C612 platforms, within the guide posses quite a few issues. Specifically that there is no real "one size fits all" guide that can be used as there's quite a bit of variation between each system and even the firmware on it. I personally have yet to find a guide that encompasses the HEDT platform properly but if you have a guide in mind I would gladly look into this as I want to have OpenCore be available to more users. There's also a simple "Converting Clover to OpenCore" section in the works that would allow users to migrate their current installs to OpenCore.

• 2 months later...
On 7/22/2019 at 10:25 AM, ekwipt said:

Looking forward to the converting from clover.

I am interested too, especially regarding iTunes/Mac App Store.

I am trying converting from Clover, reusing previous MLB and SystemUUID.

iCloud and iTunes are OK, but I cannot connect to Mac App Store. Back to Clover for the time being.

@barijaona likely an issues with your ethernet, verify that your en0 device is still built-in. Noticed this with a couple users on the AMD OS X discord when they swapped over to OpenCore, Siri was also broken as well. I mention it here: https://khronokernel-2.gitbook.io/opencore-vanilla-desktop-guide/extras/troubleshooting#imessage-and-siri-broken

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

I've followed the guide for two very different systems and have very different levels of success.

- System 1:  Ryzen 5 3600 / Asus X570 Tuf Gaming / RX 580 - working fine other than sleep issue

- System 2:  I3-2125 / MSI Z68MA-ED55 / HD Graphics 3000 - Can't even get MacOS installer to show up in OC boot menu

Same method was used to create installation USB in both cases - as is the OpenCore version.

System 1 is on Catalina, while System 2 will be using High Sierra.

Any ideas where I've gone wrong?

• 1 month later...

Hi. Thank you for an amazing guide! I got Catalina on mine to work fully with an important issue.

this is my spec:

MB: MSI x399 Meg creation

CPU: AMD 2990WX

RAM: 64GB cosair veangeance

GPU: Radeon7

All these works perfectly. Except I have an Intel 550T2 10GBps pci card that I need working for my projects.

so far I got the internal Intel I211 working using Smalltree kext.

for 550 T2 I tried smalltree8259x.kext. And tried it with FakePCIID and FakePCIID_intel_GbX in kext folder.

I read that I should move these 3 kexts into L/E S/L/E. But with catalina, it seems there is no proper way to do this.

can someone enlighten me?

73326A6A-828C-44B2-A305-8A90C760C760.jpeg

42 minutes ago, dasca.thea said:

Hi. Thank you for an amazing guide! I got Catalina on mine to work fully with an important issue.

this is my spec:

MB: MSI x399 Meg creation

CPU: AMD 2990WX

RAM: 64GB cosair veangeance

GPU: Radeon7

All these works perfectly. Except I have an Intel 550T2 10GBps pci card that I need working for my projects.

so far I got the internal Intel I211 working using Smalltree kext.

for 550 T2 I tried smalltree8259x.kext. And tried it with FakePCIID and FakePCIID_intel_GbX in kext folder.

I read that I should move these 3 kexts into L/E S/L/E. But with catalina, it seems there is no proper way to do this.

can someone enlighten me?

Pretty sure that 10Gb ethernet card will not work, only 10Gb ethernet cards that have AQC-107 chipset will work. Also you shouldn't be putting in kext inside L/E or S/L/E they should all go into EFI/OC/Kexts

3 hours ago, Pavo said:

Pretty sure that 10Gb ethernet card will not work, only 10Gb ethernet cards that have AQC-107 chipset will work. Also you shouldn't be putting in kext inside L/E or S/L/E they should all go into EFI/OC/Kexts

Just last night I successfully run Catalina on my friend’s machine(clover boot)

Gigabyte x299x designare 10G

this board has the same Intel X550T2 chipset. It was running completely native.That is why I had the courage to try Hackintosh on my machine as well.

18 minutes ago, dasca.thea said:

Just last night I successfully run Catalina on my friend’s machine(clover boot)

Gigabyte x299x designare 10G

this board has the same Intel X550T2 chipset. It was running completely native.That is why I had the courage to try Hackintosh on my machine as well.

The difference is his is built-in utilizing his chipset, where yours is a PCI card. Because the MSI x399 Meg creation board doesn't have it built-in. 

Unless it has one of the device-ids listed below it will not work natively.

ShveyWh.png

Edited by Pavo

8 hours ago, Pavo said:

The difference is his is built-in utilizing his chipset, where yours is a PCI card. Because the MSI x399 Meg creation board doesn't have it built-in. 

Unless it has one of the device-ids listed below it will not work natively.

ShveyWh.png

Would you suggest I flash my NIC with a compatible device ID?

• 2 weeks later...

My PC configuration is 

• motherboard : Gigabyte Z390 Gaming SLI
  • Processor: Intel i7 8700K
  • GPU: Built in Graphics Intel UHD 630
  • Ram: 16GB 3300MHz
  • SSD: Samsung NVMe 970 EVO Plus 256GB

I want to install Mac os catalina in my pc. But when booting from installation media it's stuck at some point and I don't know what it means. I attached some photos of this problem...

opencore-2020-03-31-114310.txt

IMG_20200331_005919.jpg

• 5 months later...

Hi! 

I have just installed Opencore 0.6 Catalina OSX on a Lenovo Tiny M910q Skylake i5. I used the Dortania Guide. Everything is running fine, until the system is completely installed, and I restart the system. If I have the USB with the "Install Catalina OSX" inserted, I access without problem the Boot Menu, and then (even removing the USB) the OS boots up properly, and it's fully working. 

But if I remove the USB, Opencore doesn't go to the Boot Menu, but instead opens up a black screen that reads:

>>Checking Media Presence......

>>Media Present.....

>>Start PXE over IPv4

If I disable IPv4 in the BIOS, the black screen tells me "1962: no operating system found"

I know that catalina was installed correctly, because If I use the USB to get the Boot Menu, and then choose to boot Mac OS Catalina, I can remove the USB, and the OS will load from the HD without flaws.

I have gone through the Opencore guide, ensuring all the quirks are correct in the config.plist.

I have carefully taken the EFI folder from the USB and replaced the Mac HD EFI folder with it. But it is still not working. Any help?

Thanks in advance,

Ed

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 2/16/2020 at 4:50 AM, lvcraig said:

I've followed the guide for two very different systems and have very different levels of success.

- System 1:  Ryzen 5 3600 / Asus X570 Tuf Gaming / RX 580 - working fine other than sleep issue

- System 2:  I3-2125 / MSI Z68MA-ED55 / HD Graphics 3000 - Can't even get MacOS installer to show up in OC boot menu

Same method was used to create installation USB in both cases - as is the OpenCore version.

System 1 is on Catalina, while System 2 will be using High Sierra.

Any ideas where I've gone wrong?

Did you ever solve this? I have the same problem trying to load High Sierra .. (which I need for some older software) Where the MacOS installer does not show up in the OC boot menu. As if the later versions of OC were more modified to assist Catalina or later installs.