[Guide] HaC Mini - OSX Mojave on Intel Hades Canyon (NUC8i7HVK/NUC8i7HNK)

osy

226 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, rootbeersoup said:

Followed osy's guide very carefully, but macOS simply won't get to the installer screen. It just loops Intel NUC -> Clover -> Apple logo with progress bar. The bar fills about 1/2 to 2/3 full and then the screen goes black and reboots after 2-3 minutes. I've let it loop for nearly an hour.

For context, I'm trying to install 10.14.5. Boot drive created from a 2018 Mac mini.

Other steps I've tried:

- Disabling iGPU in BIOS only prevented the system from rebooting at all.

- Updating BIOS from 0049 to 0058 didn't make a difference.

I was able to install Windows 10 and make sure all the hardware works. Just not getting anywhere with macOS.

Can you enable verbose logging and disable auto reboot on panic and use the kext patch to disable panic logging and then post the error message?

2 hours ago, Sherlocks said:

@osy

thank you for great guides.

this system will be no problem?

can i use only igpu?

how about graphic performance?

According to intel, the igpu is not hooked up to any display output so it’s not possible to use it for displays. You can only use it for compute tasks. You have to use the amd gpu which performs quite well (about the same as a mobile gtx1060).

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, osy said:

Can you enable verbose logging and disable auto reboot on panic and use the kext patch to disable panic logging and then post the error message?

According to intel, the igpu is not hooked up to any display output so it’s not possible to use it for displays. You can only use it for compute tasks. You have to use the amd gpu which performs quite well (about the same as a mobile gtx1060).

wow gtx1060?

i'm considering your intel system.

quit cool. how about amd gpu patch for future?

can we continuely support gpu from apple with your patch?

Can I check with you guys if the following apps work on your system.

-Preview

-IORegistryExplorer

-Hackintool

They crash at time when launch.

Edited by rongu

18 hours ago, rootbeersoup said:

Followed osy's guide very carefully, but macOS simply won't get to the installer screen. It just loops Intel NUC -> Clover -> Apple logo with progress bar. The bar fills about 1/2 to 2/3 full and then the screen goes black and reboots after 2-3 minutes. I've let it loop for nearly an hour.

For context, I'm trying to install 10.14.5. Boot drive created from a 2018 Mac mini.

Other steps I've tried:

- Disabling iGPU in BIOS only prevented the system from rebooting at all.

- Updating BIOS from 0049 to 0058 didn't make a difference.

I was able to install Windows 10 and make sure all the hardware works. Just not getting anywhere with macOS.

Maybe the same issue I had? Please let me know if it worked for you.

12 hours ago, osy said:

I can find the first two options. What/where is the third option in clover?

Thank you, @osy

I had a NUC (NUC8i7HVK) and it was running the Hackintosh by everything on tonymacx86.com forum. But after I found your guide then I erased my disk to try your steps, because the glitch issue is the one I have suffered enough.

There is a critical issue I am having now - I used a BCM94352Z wifi/bt module to replace the one in the NUC before, and it was working well after using the AirportBrcmFixup.kext, BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext and BrcmPatchRAM2.kext mentioned in https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/broadcom-wifi-bluetooth-guide.242423/. But it is not working now. 

The system cannot recognize the wifi/bt module, instead, it shows a BCM20702A0 USB device. Do you know how do I fix it?

I saw @rongu mentioned he is using BCM94352Z as well? @rongu could you share how do you make it work? 

On 7/19/2019 at 8:10 AM, rongu said:

Also disable VT-d if you install BrcmFirmwareData.kext (BCM94352Z wifi/BT replacement), mine refuse to boot successfully.

Thanks in advanced!

ok, here's some stupid questions, after seeing my clover build end user error issues resolved Ive gotten to the installer screen many times with different sets of drivers finally lining up with Schnubbi mostly for the final folder build for the installer disk.

my issue is I don't have any internal drives showing up once the installer is loaded to write a OS X- and I've got two SSD that show up in bios, windows.

I also made an external OS X mojave drive I had from HP WAVE installs into a bootable adding efi with the exact basic set from the OSY original post to test ways in, and I can boot into it but don't see the internal drives when in in the desktop.

I've been trying different old solves in bios [legacy on, off. the ahci setting for SATA ands that looks right too.

anyway. at least I got somewhere today and can see its potential working.

some spin off technology, while i was fooling with it and referring to my previous build I modded my hpwave to fit the wifi card from this guide in it and ordered a new one for the nuc, works great out of the box so thats a little win

…and with some reading I found the SATA 100 patch kexts and thet sorted that out so installing now to my internal stick, so now get that card in the mail again swap it in and it's set.

thanks for all the help and insights everyone, i'll report back in a bit after I explore whats working after the wifi is in.

Edited by kwjenkins
happy note

On 7/20/2019 at 8:37 PM, Schnubbi said:

busy timeout appleacpicpu in pre-Boot from FileVault (Replying to myself in red since I want to share how I finally solved this now.)

Gents!

Thanks for all the great work so far. I got the HVK version of the NUC and this would be my dream MacMini.

I followed the iHaC Mini instructions but I ran into some issues:

1.) Kernel panic when not disabling iGPU in BIOS (mentioned in this forum already, maybe the hint to disable IGPU in BIOS might be added to instructions?)

2.) After each Mojave installer reboot, there is a hidden boot entry in UEFI "Mac OSX" that is masking the Clover "Install OSX Mojave" USB Thumbdrive in F10 Boot selection. I had to remove this entry from UEFI every time to continue to the next stage. (Am I the only one seeing this? Is this maybe due to the fact that I did not remove my Win10 SSD?) (I still don´t understand whether I am the only one ever running into this issue? "EasyUEFI under Windows 10 saved me here.)

Here is where I am stuck now. Mojave installer went through first stage and completed 1st Preboot (although already with a black screen after the progress bar dissapears).

Now when I am trying to finish installation by pre-booting FileVault via Thumbdrive I am stuck with "Appleacpicpu busy timeout".

Is a specific BIOS version for the NUC (I am on 58) required? (Got it to work now using BIOS 58)

Is a specific version of Clover required? (Got it working now using 5018)

In clover configuration, is FSInject to be checked or not? (I managed installation only by adding FSInject.efi and DataHubDxe.efi which are not metioned in the instructions.) 

In clover configuration, is any of the OsxAptioFixDrv from the Memory Fix section to be checked in addition to the AptioMemoryFix from the Recommended drivers? (I managed installation only by using OsxAptioFix3Drv.efi instead of AptioMemoryFix.efi)

I think, I am on the homestretch now. Any input on how to make it across the finish line would be much appreciated!

(For noobs like me, the hint in the instructions to boot into installer first, into preboot second and finally into PreBoot FileVault might help as well.)

Thanks! It is working! NUC8I7HVK, 32GB RAM, EVO 970, 10.14.5 up and running like a charm!

Screenshot 2019-07-21 at 08.07.40.png

thx. finally i got run 10.14.5!!

but BCM943602BAED/DW1830 wifi work perfectly.

bluetooth on off work but connect bluetooth device not working!!!!!!!!!!

12 hours ago, KKKW said:

Thank you, @osy

I had a NUC (NUC8i7HVK) and it was running the Hackintosh by everything on tonymacx86.com forum. But after I found your guide then I erased my disk to try your steps, because the glitch issue is the one I have suffered enough.

There is a critical issue I am having now - I used a BCM94352Z wifi/bt module to replace the one in the NUC before, and it was working well after using the AirportBrcmFixup.kext, BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext and BrcmPatchRAM2.kext mentioned in https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/broadcom-wifi-bluetooth-guide.242423/. But it is not working now. 

The system cannot recognize the wifi/bt module, instead, it shows a BCM20702A0 USB device. Do you know how do I fix it?

I saw @rongu mentioned he is using BCM94352Z as well? @rongu could you share how do you make it work? 

Thanks in advanced!

Both Wifi/BT works fine

On my set, I have to disable VT-d in the bios under Secuirty tab. dart=0 in Clover boot argument actually doing the same thing but does not always work.

After you complete the above, just install the following to Clover/kexts/Other, see attached

AirportBrcmFixup.kext

BrcmFirmwareData.kext

BrcmPatchRAM2.kext

BCM94352Z.zip

Note, the attached files are not my work, they were created by a group of wonderful people and they are here for convenient sake.

File source, https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan/

Edited by rongu

35 minutes ago, osy said:

Is this during wake up? If so I’m trying to debug this issue right now. 

nope when I use pc.

but i think this problem is DW1830 WIFI/BT or RAM voltage issue.

test and report u. thx.

and I have one question.

I use dw1830 wifi is perfectly like native.

BT is I can see settings and find device and on/off BT.

but, I can't connect bluetooth device anything!!!!!!

how fix this?

8 hours ago, kwjenkins said:

ok, here's some stupid questions, after seeing my clover build end user error issues resolved Ive gotten to the installer screen many times with different sets of drivers finally lining up with Schnubbi mostly for the final folder build for the installer disk.

my issue is I don't have any internal drives showing up once the installer is loaded to write a OS X- and I've got two SSD that show up in bios, windows.

I also made an external OS X mojave drive I had from HP WAVE installs into a bootable adding efi with the exact basic set from the OSY original post to test ways in, and I can boot into it but don't see the internal drives when in in the desktop.

I've been trying different old solves in bios [legacy on, off. the ahci setting for SATA ands that looks right too.

anyway. at least I got somewhere today and can see its potential working.

some spin off technology, while i was fooling with it and referring to my previous build I modded my hpwave to fit the wifi card from this guide in it and ordered a new one for the nuc, works great out of the box so thats a little win

…and with some reading I found the SATA 100 patch kexts and thet sorted that out so installing now to my internal stick, so now get that card in the mail again swap it in and it's set.

thanks for all the help and insights everyone, i'll report back in a bit after I explore whats working after the wifi is in.

I managed installation to internal NVME drive (Samsung EVO970), external Harddisk in JMicron USB3 enclosure and external USB2 Samsung Harddisk.

I also tried a cheap M2 SATA SSD (LDLC) like you state, it did not show up in the installer so I returned it. (I did not read about the SATA 100 patch) 

For those interested in enabling Intel Quicksync (IGPU) of NUC8i7HNK/HVK.

Changelog

2019-0725-00

- Add iMac18,2 as an option

- Add iMac18,2 GPUs profile in dAGPM.kext

- Tested on NUC8i7HVK

Requirements:

- HaC_mini 1.2 (osy, NUC8 Hero !)

- Add "-disablegfxfirmware" into Clover->boot arguments

- Add a patch "change GFX0 to IGPU" in Clover->DSDT->Patches, find hex "47465830", replace hex "49475055"

- Add a patch "change PEGP to GFX0" in Clover->DSDT->Patches, find hex "50454750", replace hex "47465830"

- Check Intel Inject box [/] and set 0x59120003 for ig-platform-id under Clover->Graphics

- Select iMac18,2 or iMac18,3 under Clover->SMBIOS, save and reboot to BIOS menu ( I prefer iMac18,2)

- Enable IGPU under Graphics, save and exit, boot to Desktop

- Optional, copy dAGPM.kext into Clover/kexts/others (GFX0 & IGPU AGPM profile are from iMac18,2 & iMac18,3 respectively)

To verify Quicksync feature, download and run Intel® Power Gadget. Other than normal CPU (blue bar), you should also see additional green bar (Intel iGPU status) on the right.

Go to Gigabyte website and do some browsing or play iTune trailer movies, you should see the green frequency varies according to different load. CPU frequency will plunge as iGPU load increase in some case.

Another test is to download Trial version of MacX Video Converter Pro, make sure INTEL/AMD/NVIDIA box [l] is checked when launch and click the blue info thing, you should see "Hardware Encoding Supported YES" message.

For those using Final Cut will benefit for sure.

Have fun :)

1098918298_Screenshot2019-07-22at10_57_16PM.thumb.png.3992617b9bf71604d82d52d2424d287b.png773750512_Screenshot2019-07-22at10_57_37PM.thumb.png.59adb8e18bdf6900ecca907c861bbd26.png

Screenshot 2019-07-22 at 11.04.20 PM.png

Screenshot 2019-07-22 at 11.01.34 PM.png

Screenshot 2019-07-22 at 10.58.29 PM.png

dAGPM.zip

Edited by rongu

7 hours ago, Schnubbi said:

I managed installation to internal NVME drive (Samsung EVO970), external Harddisk in JMicron USB3 enclosure and external USB2 Samsung Harddisk.

I also tried a cheap M2 SATA SSD (LDLC) like you state, it did not show up in the installer so I returned it. (I did not read about the SATA 100 patch) 

once I got the sata 100 kext patch this was sorted, so not too big a road block [other than the stoned hrs it took to diagnose] having another build and some working external hackintosh drives really helped to analyse. i got to the desktop and full video but not done finessing it down into the OP initials build. I didn't get time til sunday to actually work with it. This thing is really fast!

Screen Shot 2019-07-22 at 12.18.35 AM.png

1 hour ago, rongu said:

@osy Do you think any chance by enabling IGPU quicksync resolve Preview.app crash? My Preview.app no longer crash (or funny image) after that. X finger !

You could be right. Can you post your config.plist changes?

@rongu thx. it works!

@osy hey osy! i can't resolve my random freeze issue.

when freezed my nuc i can't anything and hard reset nuc and unplug hdmi and plug hdmi then reworking.

How do I find the cause?

10 hours ago, rongu said:

For those interested in enabling Intel Quicksync (IGPU) of NUC8HNK (HVK should be good too)

Requirements:

- HaC_mini 1.2 (osy, NUC8 Hero !)

- Add "-disablegfxfirmware" into Clover->boot arguments

- Check Intel Inject box [/] and set 0x5912003 for ig-platform-id under Clover->Graphics

- Select iMac18,3 under Clover->SMBIOS, save and reboot to BIOS menu

- Optional, copy dAGPM.kext into Clover/kexts/others (GFX0 & IGPU AGPM profile are from iMac18,3)

- Enable IGPU under Graphics, save and exit, boot to Desktop

To verify Quicksync feature, download and run Intel® Power Gadget. Other than normal CPU (blue bar), you should also see additional green bar (Intel iGPU status) on the right.

Go to Gigabyte website and do some browsing or play iTune trailer movies, you should see the green frequency varies according to different load. CPU frequency will plunge as iGPU load increase in some case.

Another test is to download Trial version of MacX Video Converter Pro, make sure INTEL/AMD/NVIDIA box [l] is checked when launch and click the blue info thing, you should see "Hardware Encoding Supported YES" message.

For those using Final Cut will benefit for sure.

Have fun :)

1098918298_Screenshot2019-07-22at10_57_16PM.thumb.png.3992617b9bf71604d82d52d2424d287b.png773750512_Screenshot2019-07-22at10_57_37PM.thumb.png.59adb8e18bdf6900ecca907c861bbd26.png

Screenshot 2019-07-22 at 11.04.20 PM.png

Screenshot 2019-07-22 at 11.01.34 PM.png

Screenshot 2019-07-22 at 10.58.29 PM.png

dAGPM.zip

0x5912003 => 0x59120003

9 hours ago, osy said:

Any reason why you changed the model to iMac? The thermal profiles are different and I think the Mac mini profile is closer to the NUC. 

I am not sure about the thermal profiles but I think is also important to match the hardware profile.

If you choose a macmini81 the system expect IGPU to be around and always on, I checked dsdt & etc and wonder what happen if call were being made in routine related IGPU which in this case is always off (disable).

In term of hardware profile, I think iMac18,3 is closer as it has a GFX0, and a IGPU connected to nothing, like our NUC (from some Intel NUC spec). That why I guess my preview.app's problem goes away as the log tells me the problem is due to some HW Jpeg decoding. With iMac18,3 we have IGPU doing the decoding. Also by selecting iMac18,3 we enable quicksync, this one I had check.

I think it is easier to deal with thermal profiles of the CPU by tweaking (ssdtgen, HWPValue or whatever), please correct me if I  am wrong.

At the end of the day, we will probably find out what best as we go along.

PS, I missed one very important step regarding enabling IGPU, we need a patch "change GFX0 to IGPU" for everything else to work properly especially the AGPM.

Edited by rongu

@kowbot Thanks for pointing out the error, btw you also need additional patch below & updated dAGPM.kext

- Add a patch "change GFX0 to IGPU" in Clover->DSDT->Patches, find hex "47465830", replace hex "49475055"

dAGPM.zip

Edited by rongu