[Guide] HaC Mini - OSX Mojave on Intel Hades Canyon (NUC8i7HVK/NUC8i7HNK)

osy

226 posts in this topic

14 minutes ago, osy said:

I forgot to have disable IGPU, I will add it. VT-d doesn’t have to be disabled. I use parallels so I need it on.

The setting is here: https://github.com/osy86/HaC-Mini/blob/master/Clover/config.plist#L167

That preference panel doesn’t mean anything. It just prints what you put in the USBX dsdt. Try putting in something like 9999 and it’ll print it out. You need a usb 3.0 current monitor device or a jailbroken iPhone/iPad running BatteryLife (or a rooted android device running some charging monitor app).

I know what your mean about usbx, you want to know current is being drawned from the port. I can connect to an android phone with ampere app running with and without abp.kext.

30 minutes ago, osy said:

I forgot to have disable IGPU, I will add it. VT-d doesn’t have to be disabled. I use parallels so I need it on.

The setting is here: https://github.com/osy86/HaC-Mini/blob/master/Clover/config.plist#L167

That preference panel doesn’t mean anything. It just prints what you put in the USBX dsdt. Try putting in something like 9999 and it’ll print it out. You need a usb 3.0 current monitor device or a jailbroken iPhone/iPad running BatteryLife (or a rooted android device running some charging monitor app).

Mine will not boot with vt-d on (conflict with BrcmFirmwareData.kext)

The line I highlighted, which is a device-id override for PciRoot(0)/Pci(31,0). This should let AppleLPC match on the device without any other patches. 

I’m using an Apple WiFi card so I don’t need BrcmFirmwareData.kext. 

I just received a refurb of 65w version from amazon, am awaiting the innerads for the build and will be posting results hopefully by the weekend. Thanks for all the shared progress with this, I've been oogling NUC models for years and had given up on OS X after reading through the forums of all the previous attemptsIMG_8110.thumb.jpeg.b011cc7de9c1291a0076275e09413cf6.jpeg 

K

For Prime Day, Amazon is selling the 100W version for $600 which is an absolute steal for anyone who cares. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BR5GK1V/

If you look at my hardware comparison table with the latest Mac minis, if you care about performance in the smallest form factor (that runs OSX), then for $600, you get a machine comparable to the i5 mac mini ($1100) with better single thread performance and slightly worse multithread performance (6/6 cores/threads vs 4/8). But you also get a GPU that exceeds the 1050 Ti and twice the USB A ports.

/shameless Intel/amazon shilling

Edited by osy

Hi I’m new to the hackintosh. I have already macOS Mojave on my nuc but I have the metal graphics issue so I tried to swap my efi with your and after I restart it say”no bootable driver is detected” how can I fix it . Please help me I don’t want to loose all my data.

24 minutes ago, Dagvelo said:

Hi I’m new to the hackintosh. I have already macOS Mojave on my nuc but I have the metal graphics issue so I tried to swap my efi with your and after I restart it say”no bootable driver is detected” how can I fix it . Please help me I don’t want to loose all my data.

Unfortunately you did not follow the direction. You’re supposed to install clover first and overwrite the EFI files. The download does not include Clover. To fix it, you need to reinstall Clover and then copy over the files AFTER installing clover. 

Again, make sure you’re merging the directories instead of replacing it. 

Edited by osy

38 minutes ago, Dagvelo said:

I just install clean version of your guide . One problem I have is when the computer go to sleep it doesn’t come back . I need to reboot it manually 

Did you disable IGPU in bios? If not, do it. If so the issue is with USB. A temporary workaround is to make sure no usb devices are plugged in when sleeping/resuming. That doesn’t fix it 100% of the time though. I think the issue is having the companion ports not powered on. 

Edited by osy

2 hours ago, osy said:

Did you disable IGPU in bios? If not, do it. If so the issue is with USB. A temporary workaround is to make sure no usb devices are plugged in when sleeping/resuming. That doesn’t fix it 100% of the time though. I think the issue is having the companion ports not powered on. 

Yes I disable igpu. Still the same problem

7 hours ago, Dagvelo said:

Another problem that I have is the preview app it doesn’t allow me to open pictures . It just doesn’t do nothing seems like it loading but nothing happens. 
Do someone have this issue also?

Doesn’t happen for me but it sounds like an OS X problem. 

On 7/15/2019 at 12:15 PM, osy said:

For Prime Day, Amazon is selling the 100W version for $600 which is an absolute steal for anyone who cares. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BR5GK1V/

If you look at my hardware comparison table with the latest Mac minis, if you care about performance in the smallest form factor (that runs OSX), then for $600, you get a machine comparable to the i5 mac mini ($1100) with better single thread performance and slightly worse multithread performance (6/6 cores/threads vs 4/8). But you also get a GPU that exceeds the 1050 Ti and twice the USB A ports.

/shameless Intel/amazon shilling

Doh!

well Im into my setup fro the 65w version, and have built an installer a couple of times, but it keeps hanging after boot into the os install. attached KP screen. If anyone sees anything to suggest feel free to offer a suggestion. thanks!

20190718_191818734_iOS.jpg

Edited by kwjenkins
attach more useful screensnap

19 minutes ago, kwjenkins said:

Doh!

well Im into my setup fro the 65w version, and have built an installer a couple of times, but it keeps hanging after boot into the os install. attached KP screen. If anyone sees anything to suggest feel free to offer a suggestion. thanks!

Did you make any modifications to config.plist? You can get a better KP log if you add this kext patch: https://github.com/RehabMan/Intel-NUC-DSDT-Patch/blob/master/config_nuc5.plist#L232

31 minutes ago, osy said:

Did you make any modifications to config.plist? You can get a better KP log if you add this kext patch: https://github.com/RehabMan/Intel-NUC-DSDT-Patch/blob/master/config_nuc5.plist#L232

thanks taking whole kit home to work on, been trying to do install at office in downtime [I should know better] will check out link and adjust to get a better log.I didn't mod the config, Id initially thought to add a custom UUID to the file you provide, then backed out, and reinstalled the one in your collect.

I appreciate the the input and all your work on this project. 

3 hours ago, kwjenkins said:

thanks taking whole kit home to work on, been trying to do install at office in downtime [I should know better] will check out link and adjust to get a better log.I didn't mod the config, Id initially thought to add a custom UUID to the file you provide, then backed out, and reinstalled the one in your collect.

I appreciate the the input and all your work on this project. 

so I looked at that rehabman github page but do not know how to implement that patch, is it supposed to be added to your config? Is it supposed to compile into an additional kext? sorry for the dumb questions but this is a different experience than previous builds. previous systems were more hobbled together over a period as I fixed stuff incrementally, haven't had this much of a problem getting to a install screen. You don't happen to know what version of clover you're using, the more recent one seems to put stuff in a couple of new places and I went back to an earlier build. I figure if I align it might be easier.

thanks for reading

4 hours ago, kwjenkins said:

so I looked at that rehabman github page but do not know how to implement that patch, is it supposed to be added to your config? Is it supposed to compile into an additional kext? sorry for the dumb questions but this is a different experience than previous builds. previous systems were more hobbled together over a period as I fixed stuff incrementally, haven't had this much of a problem getting to a install screen. You don't happen to know what version of clover you're using, the more recent one seems to put stuff in a couple of new places and I went back to an earlier build. I figure if I align it might be easier.

thanks for reading

I mean take that patch entry and merge it into your config.plist. But maybe it’s easier for you to use clover configurator and go to the kext patches page and the + button and select the patch to disable panic logging. 

12 hours ago, kwjenkins said:

Doh!

i had the same thing try to disable igpu it worked for me 

On 7/15/2019 at 12:20 AM, osy said:

The line I highlighted, which is a device-id override for PciRoot(0)/Pci(31,0). This should let AppleLPC match on the device without any other patches. 

I’m using an Apple WiFi card so I don’t need BrcmFirmwareData.kext. 

@osy

For some reason, AppleLPC.kext was not loaded with the patch you directed me to "The setting is here: https://github.com/osy86/HaC-Mini/blob/master/Clover/config.plist#L167"

Would you be able to show me the output of your nuc8 with the command in terminal "kextstat |grep AppleLPC" ?

This my nuc8 output with LPC injection and I get nothing with device-id override for PciRoot(0)/Pci(31,0).

Screenshot 2019-07-19 at 4.23.54 PM.png

Thanks !

Edited by Alex.C

16 minutes ago, kwjenkins said:

thanks for the feedback all, I'll look in these directions and see if I can get to that install.

I rebuilt that boot drive a couple times last night and it was always giving the same result.

Just remember to disable IGPU in the bios and follow osy's instruction you should be good.

Also disable VT-d if you install BrcmFirmwareData.kext (BCM94352Z wifi/BT replacement), mine refuse to boot successfully. dart=0 don't always work !

Edited by Alex.C

busy timeout appleacpicpu in pre-Boot from FileVault (Replying to myself in red since I want to share how I finally solved this now.)

Gents!

Thanks for all the great work so far. I got the HVK version of the NUC and this would be my dream MacMini.

I followed the iHaC Mini instructions but I ran into some issues:

1.) Kernel panic when not disabling iGPU in BIOS (mentioned in this forum already, maybe the hint to disable IGPU in BIOS might be added to instructions?)

2.) After each Mojave installer reboot, there is a hidden boot entry in UEFI "Mac OSX" that is masking the Clover "Install OSX Mojave" USB Thumbdrive in F10 Boot selection. I had to remove this entry from UEFI every time to continue to the next stage. (Am I the only one seeing this? Is this maybe due to the fact that I did not remove my Win10 SSD?) (I still don´t understand whether I am the only one ever running into this issue? "EasyUEFI under Windows 10 saved me here.)

Here is where I am stuck now. Mojave installer went through first stage and completed 1st Preboot (although already with a black screen after the progress bar dissapears).

Now when I am trying to finish installation by pre-booting FileVault via Thumbdrive I am stuck with "Appleacpicpu busy timeout".

Is a specific BIOS version for the NUC (I am on 58) required? (Got it to work now using BIOS 58)

Is a specific version of Clover required? (Got it working now using 5018)

In clover configuration, is FSInject to be checked or not? (I managed installation only by adding FSInject.efi and DataHubDxe.efi which are not metioned in the instructions.) 

In clover configuration, is any of the OsxAptioFixDrv from the Memory Fix section to be checked in addition to the AptioMemoryFix from the Recommended drivers? (I managed installation only by using OsxAptioFix3Drv.efi instead of AptioMemoryFix.efi)

I think, I am on the homestretch now. Any input on how to make it across the finish line would be much appreciated!

(For noobs like me, the hint in the instructions to boot into installer first, into preboot second and finally into PreBoot FileVault might help as well.)

Thanks! It is working! NUC8I7HVK, 32GB RAM, EVO 970, 10.14.5 up and running like a charm!

Screenshot 2019-07-22 at 10.25.59.png

Edited by Schnubbi
Solved the Appleacpicpu busy timeout or kextd stalled issue

Followed osy's guide very carefully, but macOS simply won't get to the installer screen. It just loops Intel NUC -> Clover -> Apple logo with progress bar. The bar fills about 1/2 to 2/3 full and then the screen goes black and reboots after 2-3 minutes. I've let it loop for nearly an hour.

For context, I'm trying to install 10.14.5. Boot drive created from a 2018 Mac mini.

Other steps I've tried:

- Disabling iGPU in BIOS only prevented the system from rebooting at all.

- Updating BIOS from 0049 to 0058 didn't make a difference.

I was able to install Windows 10 and make sure all the hardware works. Just not getting anywhere with macOS.