i7-9700K vs i9-9900K. What are your opinions?

pkdesign

8 posts in this topic

I am thinking about building a new hackintosh. My 10 year old hack is still running flawlessly but I figured it was time.

i7-9700K or an 19-9900K. I know the technical difference between these two processors, but what do you all think in terms of real performance? Is hyper threading that important?  Price/performance wise it looks like the i7-9700K is a better choice. Seems like you can overclocked it higher and easier. But does that matter? Price wise there is a $100 difference! For just hyper threading?!

I use my hack for creative production work. Adobe CS all day. InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator. I may on occasion have to re-encode a video or two.

i9-9900k for sure!

You'll have more compatibility in your Hackintosh, remember that the i9-9900K is pretty the same as the new iMac's generation.

I used in some Hacks with all the tools that you also use to work, and it's amazing.

• Like 2

As a disclaimer, I know next to nothing about the last gen processors as I'm coming from a 3690 Xeon, but I went with the i7-9700K on my build, mostly because of the price vs the 9900K (and I rarely took advantage of the extra threads in my old cMP).  There was a sale on the 9700K which made it a @$160CDN difference for the 9900k which I put toward a better monitor.  As most of my usage is for single core(thread?) performance in Adobe apps Flash/Animate etc., I watched a few comparison videos (mind you Windows gaming centric) and the power of the 9700K was keeping up enough with the 9900K in that regard.  If you need the extra threads it's a simple decision, but for every day performance and you don't need hyper threading for the majority of your use/work, I would say save the cash.  People who own the i9 may be better to give you an opinion on the difference for the Adobe apps you use.

Depends on what you need it for the majority of the time and, of course, sale prices. imo

On 6/4/2019 at 9:36 PM, Allan said:

i9-9900k for sure!

You'll have more compatibility in your Hackintosh, remember that the i9-9900K is pretty the same as the new iMac's generation.

I used in some Hacks with all the tools that you also use to work, and it's amazing.

I am really drawn to the fact that it is the same CPU used in real Macs.

On 6/5/2019 at 11:26 AM, Picasso said:

8700K es cheap, works awesome in video edition, and you can buy a better GPU.

I'm not even considering the 8700. The question is 9700 or 9900. I want the newest processor.

My RX570 is new (in order to be compatible with Mojave). I barely use 5% of the card's capabilities and see no reason to upgrade further for now.

• 9 months later...

In fact, there is no need to overpay for 9900K. The difference in price is noticeable, but there is no much difference in performance. The maximum you will get is a 35% increase in Cinebench (multicore). In Geekbench, the difference is 18%, which is not much.

https://nanoreview.net/en/cpu-compare/intel-core-i9-9900k-vs-intel-core-i7-9700k

Edited by records

• 1 month later...

If you run VMs or do any sort of professional work where the software can make use of the additional threads (rendering videos for example) then a 9900K should be one of your top choices (assuming you dont want Ryzen 9), otherwise, for gaming and basic usage, you would hardly ever notice a difference between the 2 procs, other than the hit to your wallet (and maybe an increase in the size of your e-peen).