Welcome to InsanelyMac.com - No more ads! And some exciting news... Read more... ×
outdoormagic

Copying EFI, Clover, and USB drives

5 posts in this topic

Short Version:

I have two drives with the exact same EFI folder (and I can boot into Clover from either one), shouldn't I be able to boot into MacOS from either one?

More Detail:

I've done a few hacks so far and this never happened. (Gigabyte z370 / 8700k / Vega, Asus z390 / i5-9600k / 1080). Now, I'm setting up a ThinkPad X1 Gen 6. (Yes, I do expect problems on laptops, but that's not the question).

Mojave 10.14.4 now boots from the internal SSD. So far, so good. Here's the problem.

I installed Mojave on a USB drive (for backup / rescue) and copied the entire EFI partition of my boot drive to the EFI partition on the USB drive. So... I should be able to boot from the USB drive, right? Wrong. Ran Clover installer on the USB itself. Same outcome.

With F12, I can boot from the USB into Clover and select the OS on the USB. The boot sequence hangs on End Random Seed, but before the usual '++++++++' line.

So, boot into Clover on internal boot drive, then select OS on USB. Same thing.

Read the forums, I saw the posts about AptioMemoryFix, so I tried the various other drivers on the USB. No go.

I haven't found the solution yet to the USB boot issue, but what puzzles me is that if I have two drives with the exact same EFI folder (and I can boot into Clover from either one), shouldn't I be able to boot into MacOS from either one?

Edited by outdoormagic

11 hours ago, millusions said:

booting off usb you need to make sure you have USB patches in place. in theory.

in practice i found it's a bit random and these days i try to avoid it if i can.

i mean, it worked, but sometimes doesn't.

on further testing i found imac 2013 also has trouble booting from some USB enclosures. it basically refuses to.  sometimes it does, sometimes gets stuck on loading and most times it skips the USB / Start up disk.

which kinda points the finger at the usb enclosures, right?

after that i try to avoid it.

instead of Aptiomemory fix try AptiomemoryFix-64

Makes sense. I did have AptioMemoryFix-64, indeed, and USB are patches with SSDT. Tried the drive (Samsung flash drive) on another hack and got the interdiction sign. It got further into the boot (with adjusted EFI folder for that second hack), but still failed. Other drives (namely old-school 5400RPM USB 3.0 Seagate drives) work on that second machine. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Plan B is to create a small partition, similar to recovery, as alternate boot when updates (OS, kexts, clover) run into trouble.

On 4/3/2019 at 5:16 PM, millusions said:

i also use plan B now.

the partition method works well, but doesn't allow for EFI errors.

Strange. It doesn't work for me. I assumed it would, but it doesn't.

The drive is internal and partitioned as: 1 Windows partition, 2 APFS partitions which show up as 2 Volumes in Disk Utility (not 2 partitions), and all appropriate EFI and Recovery partitions. Mojave installed on both MacOS partitions without any problem. Now, I can boot into Clover, but I only see one of the two Volumes. Tried resetting NVRAM, reinstalling Clover, even formatted the whole drive and started from scratch for both Windows 10 and MacOS. Same outcome: I have one bootable Windows 10 and one bootable Mojave, but I don't see the second Mojave install, even with F3. Tried bless on CoreServices of the "invisible" drive, tried selecting the second drive in Startup Disk (I see both volumes there). Both bless and selecting the disk seem to work, but then I get the same outcome in Clover: the boot partition doesn't show up—only one OS X and one Windows (+recovery, legacy, and all that).

Doesn't Clover allow for two OS partitions to be on the same physical drive?

4 hours ago, millusions said:

yea. that's pretty weird hey.

from reading your post my initial thought is Clover configurator/gui.

if you saw how many Mac OSX installs i have on each computer you'd laugh at me, i just carbon copy and hold on to 5hit too much.

i even have mavericks, i cant even boot it, nvidia web needs 10.10.

anyway, having said that i've never encountered your problem, have a 300GB partition with 'clone' of this system which boots fine

have a look at clover/gui and the 'scan' settings.

maybe it's APFS thingo, i dont use APFS, have it on a couple of real Macs i dont see any difference to be honest but apple updates force it pretty much, i dont use it on hacks.

plus HPFS i can read from windows with paragon - but if you do that make sure you have [read only] in registry

I would agree. Tried various options on Scan. Nothing worked. I did notice 2 other weird things on Clover, though. If I try to exclude/hide volumes, I can, except for "Windows". Nothing happens. Also, if I update Clover, it resets my gui to the holiday theme. That doesn't happen on my other hacks.

I had to go APFS as Mojave won't install on anything else. With HS, I could still use the -donotconvert option, but alas no more. But you're right; might be APFS. However, the Clover weirdness mentioned above makes me suspect my Clover install at this point.

I guess that means I have to completely de-install clover and completely re-install from scratch.  :(

Stay tuned...

PS. For reference, here is a thread of others with a similar issue: 

Edited by outdoormagic
Added info / reference

@millusions, thank you for your help. I got to get all OS X partitions to show by copying apfs.efi to the Clover UEFI 64 Drivers folder. ApfsDriverLoader-64 should have taken care of that, but obviously doesn't fully.

As for the USB boot, I think you're right: it depends on the drive. This thumb drive just won't boot (Samsung bar).

• Similar Content

• By ltooz_audis
      How I create EFI folder that works with all laptops and PCs on Big Sur using OpenCore 0.6.4.

Cheers,
      Louis
    • By 5T33Z0
      Background: Since the Pre-Release of Clover v5123, OpenCore Momory Fixes have been integrated into Clover in the form of OpenRuntime.efi. It replaces previous AptioMemory Fixes. Since v5126 AptioMemoryFixes are obsolete and no longer supported, so an upgrade to v5126 is mandatory in order to be able to install and boot macOS BigSur with Clover.

This guide is for everyone trying to update to the latest Clover version or having issues while updating from previous versions, so they can install and run BigSur on their Machines. While updating to the latest iteration of Clover, there are several obstacles one can come across along the way. This guide is here to assist users trying to make the switch from the "old" Clover version with AptioMemory Fixes to the new one with OpenRuntime and Quirks Settings in CloverConfigurator.

Problem: If you update your existing Clover installation by either installing the clover.pkg file or manually updating it the way you used to this will most likely result in an inoperable bootlader due to missing boot parameters.

Approach: In order to avoid the dilemma of your system not wanting to boot, you have to know that the following files are obsolete and are no longer necessary, so they should eiither be disbabled/deleted when updating Clover from a built prior to v 5123 or omitted altogether when setting up a new EFI Folder:

AptioMemoryFixes: AptioMemoryFix.efi, OsxAptioFix3Drv.efi, OsxAptioFixDrv.efi and everyhing else containing "memoryfix". Unnecessary Drivers (for UEFI-based Systems): DataHubDxe.efi – enables DataHub Protocol Support if it is missing from the BIOS. Modern UEFI BIOSes support this. So it's probably only necessary for Legacy Systems. FSInject.efi – For Kext-Injecttion. But pretty much obsolete since it's fully integrated in Clover nowadays. Might be necessary for Legacy Systems, though. SMCHelper.efi – Necessary when using FakeSMC.kext and ONLY FakeSMC. If you use it in combination with VirtualSMC.efi, it leads to an instant Kernel Panics. So, in other words: when using VirtualSMC – which is higly recommended over FakeSMC – DON'T use SMCHelper, use it in conjunction with VirtulSMC.efi (although unnecessary in most cases). EmuVariableUefi.efi – necessary for emulating NVRAM, if NVRAM is either not available (legacy systems) or working incorrectly. OcQuirks.efi and OcQuirks.plist – delete if present. OcQuirks is a relict from earlier attempts to include OpenCore Booter Quirks into Clover up until version 5122. Incompatible Kexts – wherever possible, you should use the latest available kexts provided by acidanthera (one of the devs behind OpenCore). Because incompatible Kexts are a source for Kernel Panics. I had an issue with my Laptop where VoodooPS2Controller.kext would cause a kernel Panic when used alongside VoodooPS2Mouse.kext, VoodooPS2Trackpad.kext and VoodooPS2Controller.kext. At the time I updated clover from 5122 to 5123, I didn't know that these 3 kexts are now includes as plugins inside of VoodooPS2Controller, so having them twice would cause a panic.

In general, having Kexts wich have depedencies to oher kexts can cause a KernelPanic if not loaded in the correct order. In OpenCore, you can and have to set up the correct loading order of kexts manually by yourself, but in Clover only a few essential kexts like Lilu and Fake/VirtualSMC are hard-coded in, so they are always loaded first. It took me a while to figure this out. So when you update Clover and you are using lot of Kexts (usually on Laptops), try to update all Kexts first using Kext-Updater which is incredibly useful tool to download all sorts of bootloader-related files, have a look inside of them so see if they include more kexts as plugins and make sure nothing is present twice – HID, Wifi and Bluetooth kexts come to mind here. If you get panics you can not isolate, just move all unnecessary kexts to the "off" folder to temporarily to work around the issue by starting with a minimal set up to get the system running. Then put the disabled kexts back one by one to find the culprit for the panic.  
      Updating your EFI

Prepare an USB Stick. Format it to FAT32 (MBR). We'll use it for testing our updated EFI Folder first, before copying it to the ESP on the HDD. Download the latest Clover Release  as a .zip archive for a manual update (currently "CloverV2-5126.zip"): https://github.com/CloverHackyColor/CloverBootloader/releases Extract the .zip. We'll create our EFI based on the one insides of it. Have a look at the "EFI > Clover > drivers > off > UEFI" Folder – you find the following Files: Copy the following files over to EFI > Clover > drivers > UEFI: ApfsDriverLoader.efi, VBoxHfs.efi and OpenRuntime.efi Now we have a minimal set of Drivers which looks like shown below. The files tagged in gray are in the drivers Folder by defautl and are most likely unnecessary on UEFI-based systems. As mentioned earlier, SMCHelper MUST be deleted when using VirualSMC.kext! I would turn of each of the gray drivers one by one and chick if the system still boots without them.
      Next, copy over your kexts (updated to the latest available version, of course), your ACPI > patched folder and your config.plist form your existing EFI Folder Open CloverConfigurator and update it to the latest Version. It should now include a new section at the bottom called Quirks, as mentioned earlier Now open your config.plist you copied over from your working EFI and click on "Quirks". It should look like this (without the descriptions of course):
      Head over to the OpenCore Install Guide and pick the guide for your CPU Family and Platform. Jump to the "Booter" Section. It contains all required Booter Quirks tinted green in the screenshot. Make sure to unfold the "more in-depth info" box to see what they do. Find the options for your system and tick them away in Clover Configurator. Next, jump to the "Kernel" section of Dortania's guide and copy over the settings from "Quirks" and "Scheme". Again, make sure to unfold the "more in-depth" section to find all necessary settings. NOTE: some of the settings Located in "Kernel > Quirks" have different names and are located in the "Kernel and Kext Patches" section of Clover Configurator. These include:

In most cases you have these set up correctly already, otherwise your system wouldn't have started before. But it's good to double check if you have settings enabled which may be unnecessary. Once you've ticked all the necessary quirks, save your configuration, copy the new EFI Folder to the root of your USB Flash Drive and try booting from it. If everything was set up correctly, the system should boot as expected. If it does boot, you can mount the ESP partition of your hard drive, backup your EFI Folder, delete it and put in the one from your USB Flash drive to make the changes permanent.  
      TROUBLESHOOTING: If you get Kernel Panics take a note of them and head over to the OpenCore Troubleshooting Guide and have a look at the "OpenCore Boot issues" and "Kernelspace Issues" sections to find your error message and possible fixes to resolve it. Another great resource to check if your Clover config is set-up correctly in general (excluding Quirks) is the Hackintosh Vanilla Desktop Guide For more info about how OpenCore differs from clover and see which settings, drivers and features are compatible, check out the Clover Conversion Guide.

Good luck!

PS: If you run into trouble after following this guide you can upload your config.plist and I can have a look at the quirks.
      PSS: When running BigSur, you need to remove the PreBoot Volume from the "Hide" Section of the GUI because if I understand correctly, BigSur requires booting from it.
      PSSS: if your system boots correctly you can upload a screenshot with your quirks with additional Info like your Board and CPU which might be helpful for other users.

• By skrypious
      Hi,
      I have been using my hackintosh for a while without any problems, until my monitor is replaced with a new one... Previously I was using 2 monitors connected via HDMI + DVI, now - with new one, I am using HDMI + DP, and my hackintosh stopped working. On every boot, everything I see is black screen... When I connect only one monitor (via HDMI or DP) - everything works fine.
      I have tried many things: 
      - CSM off / on 
      - PEG + iGPU (64MB/128MB) / only PEG 
      - SSDT patching / DeviceProperties patch 
      - VBIOS reflash 
      - BIOS reflash 
      - Changing cables 
      - Resetting NVRAM
      - Changing SMBIOS
      Nothing helps…
      Fun fact - for 2 days everything was ok, the black screen problem appeared suddenly... So I am writing this post, maybe someone more knowledgeable will be able to help me
      Hardware: 
      - Intel Core i5 4690k 3,5GHz (overclocked to 4,4GHz) 
      - MSI Z97 Gaming 3 
      - MSI Radeon R9 390 8GB 
      - Kingston 16GB DDR3
      Software: 
      - macOS Big Sur 
      - Dual boot with Windows 10
      Screens: 
      - Acer VG272U [email protected] (connected via DP 1.4)
      - LG 23MP48 [email protected] (connected via HDMI 2.0)

Hackintosh: 
      - OpenCore 0.6.3 
      - iMac15,1 
      - Full EFI: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eul7SnOEunfJOxBGD3Ygcmkc9f80DrlN/view?usp=sharing
      BIOS: 
      - UEFI Boot Mode 
      - CFG Lock and VT-D are disabled 
      - iGPU is disabled right now, but it doesn't make any difference somehow in this situation. iGPU is HD4600
      More Info: 
      - I have SSDT patch in my ACPI folder, which works fine - R9 390 works pretty fast, but I have never edited AMD8000Controller - is it required? 
      - I also have all needed kexts (AppleALC, AetherosE2200Ethernet, Lilu, VirtualSMC, WhateverGreen) 
      - if I made linguistic mistakes somewhere - forgive me, I don't use English every day
    • By MaLd0n
      iMac20,1 Hackintosh 
      A good build for professional audio and video processing.
      We love silence and Cooler SCYTHE Ninja 5 is mandatory in this case!
      A very custom DSDT for best experience under macOS. Removed all unused devices, injected all Apple devices, essentials, cosmetics, real improvements.

-OpenCore Vanilla TUTORIAL-

-USB Port Mapping TUTORIAL-

-Bios/UEFI Settings-
      CSM Support - Disabled
      Internal Graphics - Enable
      -Thunderbolt Configuration-
      Security Level - No Security
      GPIO3 Force Pwr - Enabled

-Hardware-
      Mobo - Ga Z490 Vision D
      https://tinyurl.com/y4gajha4

Processor - i7 or i9 10th Intel
      https://tinyurl.com/y6jlskwz

GPU - RX 580, 590, VEGA 56, VEGA64, 5700XT or RADEON VII
      https://tinyurl.com/y4mxc7t6

Cooler - SCYTHE Ninja 5 
      https://tinyurl.com/yyrbx5lf

NVME - WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD
      https://tinyurl.com/vnq46yr

-EFI folders- 
      Clover - https://tinyurl.com/yxzftuyr
      OpenCore - https://tinyurl.com/y3lt8t9l
      Just paste EFI folder into EFI partition, reboot and extract one SendMe. Post this dump here for full ACPI solution!
      Download RunMe.app dumper

-If you want to buy me a beer - Donations with PayPal
      https://tinyurl.com/r2bvzm7

-DSDT- Complete Solution
      DSDT.Z490 VISION D MaLd0n.zip

-SSDT- Not complete solution
      SSDT-OLARILA.aml.zip

-DSDT Patches-

-USB Solution-
      USB SOLUTION.zip

-Boot Time with Clover or Opencore is same-

-Screenshots-

-Credits and thanks to the old and new people in the community who developed patches, kexts and bootloaders!
      Thx to KGP for SSDT Thunderbolt
      Slice, Kabyl, usr-sse2, jadran, Blackosx, dmazar, STLVNUB, pcj, apianti, JrCs, pene, FrodoKenny, skoczy, ycr.ru, Oscar09, xsmile, SoThOr, RehabMan, Download-Fritz, Zenit432, cecekpawon, Intel, Apple, Oracle, Chameleon Team, crazybirdy, Mieze, Mirone, Oldnapalm, netkas, Elconiglio, artut-pt, ErmaC, Pavo, Toleda, Master Chief and family, bcc9, The King, PMheart, Sherlocks, Micky1979, vit9696, vandroiy2013, Voodoo Team, Pike R. Alpha, lvs1974, Austere.J, CVad and many, many, many others!

We're all here to have fun and learn from each other!
    • By VortexisTV
      So I've been trying to update to Big Sur from Catalina but I get stuck at the +++ message at the beginning. I made sure I have all my kexts and drivers updated. Updating to Clover revision 5126 would only get me kernel panics. Am I doing something wrong? Any response would be greatly appreciated. EFI

ASUS Zenbook UX331FN
      Intel Core i5-8265U
      Intel UHD 620
      Clover 5120