Intel i9 9900k - Gigabyte Z390 Ultra - VirtualSMC vs. FakeSMC

DaHarry

7 posts in this topic

I have installed Hackintosh on to my System, but the CPU cooler is obviously louder then on Windows.

I am using right now VirtualSMC.kext, but since FakeSMC provides temperature measurement tools, and VirtualSMC not, I asked my self if that might be a hint for my loud cooler?

1. My question, has somebody tried maybe both and even compared them? And is FakeSMC maybe less noisy?

2. Is it enough to just mount EFI partition, and delete the VirtualSMC.kext and put instead FakeSMC.kexts ? Without any fancy kext installation tool or terminal commands, just replace files and restart in enough?

My System:

Mainboard: Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra

CPU: Intel i9 9900k

CPU Cooler: BeQuiet! Dark Rock 4

GPU: Vega 64

Ram: 2x16GB Corsair 3200

SSD: 1TB Adata M.2

The Tutorial i have used - https://github.com/cmer/gigabyte-z390-aorus-master-hackintosh/blob/master/STEP_BY_STEP.md

Really works like a charm besides, the more noisy cooler, which i bought because it is extra quietly.

I asked first at tonymac's forum, but they deleted the post because I haven't used their tool, really disgustig.. I really hope to never use their tools, and I hope here the information freedom is more respected.

#f. tonyhoremacs

Edited by DaHarry

23 hours ago, DaHarry said:

My question, has somebody tried maybe both and even compared them? And is FakeSMC maybe less noisy?

Tried both. No real difference. Its just up to what you "prefer". I use Fakesmc and extensions on my z390 Aorus Elite and it works flawless. 

I use virtualSMC and its extensions on my Dell 7559 laptop and it works flawless. I notice SMCBatteryManager works better for my laptop than other choices. 

Just personal preference. 

• Like 1

Ok, I realized first now that my graphics card fan is the noisy one.

I swapped virtualSMC with fakeSMC, and run HWMonitor and my CPU Cores are all around 32° but my graphics card is claimed to be 127°.

That is really strange and seems to be even dangerous.

I thought Vega64 would be compatible out of the box?

6 hours ago, DaHarry said:

Ok, I realized first now that my graphics card fan is the noisy one.

I swapped virtualSMC with fakeSMC, and run HWMonitor and my CPU Cores are all around 32° but my graphics card is claimed to be 127°.

That is really strange and seems to be even dangerous.

I thought Vega64 would be compatible out of the box?

I have the same issue, let me know if you figure out, how to fix this. However, I don't think that is the 'real' temperature.

• Like 1

On 2/3/2019 at 4:15 PM, tikizondo94 said:

Tried both. No real difference. Its just up to what you "prefer". I use Fakesmc and extensions on my z390 Aorus Elite and it works flawless. 

I use virtualSMC and its extensions on my Dell 7559 laptop and it works flawless. I notice SMCBatteryManager works better for my laptop than other choices. 

Just personal preference. 

hello corsair mp500 What is the read / write speed of NVME M.2? I have the same model as the read / write speed is very slow.

Ekran Resmi 2019-02-11 22.41.12.png

1 hour ago, lahana1 said:

hello corsair mp500 What is the read / write speed of NVME M.2? I have the same model as the read / write speed is very slow.

Ekran Resmi 2019-02-11 22.41.12.png

Mine seems to be pretty snappy. I did have issues before when i had to many Drives hooked up. It seemed to slow my write speeds down to a solid 200mb sec. Also watch for thermal throttling with NVMe drives. Heat is not there friend. 

Screen Shot 2019-02-11 at 3.51.51 PM.png

• Thanks 1