issue with CLOVER shell

wkt

13 posts in this topic

I am trying to start step-by-step with using CLOVER so I created a USB stick with v2.4k_r4798 in UEFI mode, I can boot successfully to the first screen with the choices, I can enter Options, but when I try to enter the UEFI shell it gets stuck, black screen with one "_" at the top left corner. Sometimes, depending on the drivers I install from the clover installer, I get the text "BestLanguage <null string>".

At this moment I don't know what is causing this.. also don't know how to troubleshoot (if someone could help point me in the right direction at least how to get some verbose output or debug information of what is causing this). I am not sure if I either have to try other drivers from Clover, modify plist file, or install kexts.

I also have to mention that I got problems in the past with Ubuntu, more specifically grub UEFI in which I had to set a flag "nomodeset" required by the NVIDIA graphics card in order to get past some boot sequence.

I have uploaded the contents of my EFI/CLOVER folder.

efi_clover.zip

I am trying to start step-by-step with using CLOVER so I created a USB stick with v2.4k_r4798 in UEFI mode, I can boot successfully to the first screen with the choices, I can enter Options, but when I try to enter the UEFI shell it gets stuck, black screen with one "_" at the top left corner. Sometimes, depending on the drivers I install from the clover installer, I get the text "BestLanguage ".

At this moment I don't know what is causing this.. also don't know how to troubleshoot (if someone could help point me in the right direction at least how to get some verbose output or debug information of what is causing this). I am not sure if I either have to try other drivers from Clover, modify plist file, or install kexts.

I also have to mention that I got problems in the past with Ubuntu, more specifically grub UEFI in which I had to set a flag "nomodeset" required by the NVIDIA graphics card in order to get past some boot sequence.

I have uploaded the contents of my EFI/CLOVER folder.
efi_clover.zip

What reason do you have to use the clover shell? If your installing macOS you don’t need the shell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, wkt said:

I have added the driver from Clover Installer and it's called: EnglishDxe-64.efi

It's ok like this?

I tried it and with this it gives me the additional line: BestLanguage <null string>

I have an exact issue like yours on my Asus Laptop with AMI Aptio using UEFI, but no problem with Legacy.

Another laptop here with InsydeH2O (Phoenix) got no problem with UEFI Shell.

If your BIOS (firmware) has an option called "Launch EFI Shell from blah blah blah", try this option.. but 1st you need to copy "/EFI/CLOVER/tools/Shell64U.efi" to root of your ESP and rename it to "shellx64.efi". If it gives a blank screen as well, it could be problematic firmware (like mine) or bcoz something else which I don't know what is it (BIOS BlockIO?).

I remember previously was able to load UEFI Shell from rEFInd Bootloader (testing purpose), but now is not after I flashed my BIOS to newer version (my Asus BIOS has no option for downgrading it unfortunately).

Edited by Badruzeus

On 12/24/2018 at 10:59 PM, apianti said:

There are so many versions of the shell, and they each only work with specific firmwares, you need to figure out which one works for you. Also you need english support as Slice said.

You're right, I got one that is working on mach (v2.0: there's dmazar commit on *.diff file, I think it comes from prev. Clover?)

@wkt If you wanna give it a try, rename attached "UefiShellX64.efi" > "Shell64U.efi" and place to "\EFI\CLOVER\tools\"

If your BIOS has an option for "Launching EFI from device...", rename it to "SHELLX64.EFI" and place to root of your ESP (IDK wtf is wrong with my Asus firmware, but it has CaseSensitive issue, so need rename it with ALL CAPS on my case).

_Shell2.zip

IMG_20181227_232112.jpg

#EDIT: OK, I opened browsing history.. referenced from this link. Yeah, my bad.. clearly said:

Obtaining UEFI Shell
You can download a BSD licensed UEFI Shell from Intel's TianoCore UDK/EDK2 project:
- Precompiled UEFI Shell v2 binary with bcfg modified to work with UEFI pre-2.3 firmware - from Clover EFI bootloader.

Edited by Badruzeus

• 5 weeks later...
You're right, I got one that is working on mach (v2.0: there's dmazar commit on *.diff file, I think it comes from prev. Clover?)
[mention=2472911]wkt[/mention] If you wanna give it a try, rename attached "UefiShellX64.efi" > "Shell64U.efi" and place to "\EFI\CLOVER\tools\"
If your BIOS has an option for "Launching EFI from device...", rename it to "SHELLX64.EFI" and place to root of your ESP (IDK wtf is wrong with my Asus firmware, but it has CaseSensitive issue, so need rename it with ALL CAPS on my case).
_Shell2.zip
IMG_20181227_232112.thumb.jpg.8e716acc012a4c902386be1750afe884.jpg

#EDIT: OK, I opened browsing history.. referenced from this link. Yeah, my bad.. clearly said:
Obtaining UEFI ShellYou can download a BSD licensed UEFI Shell from Intel's TianoCore UDK/EDK2 project:...- Precompiled UEFI Shell v2 binary with bcfg modified to work with UEFI pre-2.3 firmware - from Clover EFI bootloader.

i have a same problem on my hp probook 4230s.
can i use shell from your attached file?

나의 LG-F800S 의 Tapatalk에서 보냄